Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
How Will Amazon Respond To The Nook?

Will the Nook seriously cut into the Kindle's holiday sales this year? Amazon still has the lead in number of available ebooks (taking out the Google freebie books), right?
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It will be interesting to see what happens. Lots of people know about the Kindle because even if they're shopping for other things on Amazon, they'll see Kindle ads. People go the B&N brick and mortar stores or website specifically to buy books, so it may be a smaller groups of eyes learning about the Nook.

How will B&N get the word out and will it be enough to make people aware enough to take a big enough chunk of holiday sales? Over time I think the nook will have more of an effect.

Edit: For some reason I read this to be about the readers not the ebooks. Sorry.

Last edited by daffy4u; 10-21-2009 at 06:27 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think they will just drop the price UNLESS they have secret Kindle upgrades coming out in time before christmas. Most companies release christmas product lines in October I think (Apple just released the new imacs for example).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, so far on Amazon's site, the hardcover pre-order "Under the Dome" is listed for $9.00.

On BN its listed for $21......or, if you are a member, $18.90.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, so far on Amazon's site, the hardcover pre-order "Under the Dome" is listed for $9.00.

On BN its listed for $21......or, if you are a member, $18.90.
That's an Amazon vs Wal Mart thing. It has nothing to do with B&N
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
Athryn
Athryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
My guess is that Amazon will release a patch soon that will allow users to use custom screensavers without having to hack it, so that the B&N reader can't tout that as a special feature.
Athryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athryn View Post
My guess is that Amazon will release a patch soon that will allow users to use custom screensavers without having to hack it, so that the B&N reader can't tout that as a special feature.
I think that if they bother to put out a "patch" it will be rather more significant than that
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Did they combine the US and International Kindle into 1? There seems to be only 1 6 inch kindle 2 now...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 AM   #9
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I doubt we'll have a new Kindle product before Christmas, I think the lower price and the international model is "it" for this year. I'd think any newer product would've been leaked by now.

As Juj1n noted, on the Amazon website the US only Kindle 2 seems to have disappeared. It looks like all 6" screen Kindles are international models now....And the price has dropped to $259!

I ordered a US Kindle at the time of the price drop, so I am still within the 30 days.....Although I suspect Amazon will keep Sprint service going for a couple of years, I'll bet they eventually shift to only AT&T (provider of wireless for the International version in the US). In the interests of long-term usability, I'm thinking of returning my US version for an international one so I'll be on AT&T wireless.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
The Kindle would be just right if Amazon adds DRM Epud & PDF. Only so I'm able to get library books because I don't buy PDF books but I do check them out from the library. The borrowing thing sounds great because I don't want to share my Amazon Account. I've had that account for years and buy a lot of things beside ebooks using my Amazon account. I don't want to ever have to give my password to another person. A co-worker has been hinting about how she will get a Kindle for Christmas now they are $259 and hinting about sharing my account since I've had a Kindle since Oct 2008 and have a lot of books and I've told her straight out, no way. Besides these 2 things, I don't think the Nook has anything on the Kindle. The web browser of the Kindle is a fantastic thing to have even if it's slow. I don't think the Nook has enough features for me to actually buy another 6 in reader even though I was tempted for a minute, I got over it real quick.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
Will the Nook seriously cut into the Kindle's holiday sales this year? Amazon still has the lead in number of available ebooks (taking out the Google freebie books), right?
I doubt it will have a significant effect. The Kindle sells world-wide; the Nook is US-only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The Kindle would be just right if Amazon adds DRM Epud & PDF. Only so I'm able to get library books because I don't buy PDF books but I do check them out from the library. The borrowing thing sounds great because I don't want to share my Amazon Account. I've had that account for years and buy a lot of things beside ebooks using my Amazon account. I don't want to ever have to give my password to another person. A co-worker has been hinting about how she will get a Kindle for Christmas now they are $259 and hinting about sharing my account since I've had a Kindle since Oct 2008 and have a lot of books and I've told her straight out, no way. Besides these 2 things, I don't think the Nook has anything on the Kindle. The web browser of the Kindle is a fantastic thing to have even if it's slow. I don't think the Nook has enough features for me to actually buy another 6 in reader even though I was tempted for a minute, I got over it real quick.
wow that was rather audacious of her! I'd have to be sharing an awful lot more than office space with someone to share my Kindle account (or pretty much any type of account requiring a password)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
the most important decision is based on the bookstore service

1. the B&N ebook store is a lot more expensive
2. for ebooks, googlebooks is completely useless because of the poor optical character recognition. there are so many mistakes in the books that it is actually better not to read the book at all than to read the book with all the mistakes
3. B&N will eventually end up like Blockbuster as their business model is obsolete. if u actually believe B&N's ebook will be successful this would mean that the rest of their business will be obsolete....thus u should not buy their reader. this will leave u with an expensive paperweight. amazon's business model is the model of the future.

I think Amazon should respond by putting kindles in some retail stores.

Last edited by markbot; 10-22-2009 at 09:08 AM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
That's an Amazon vs Wal Mart thing. It has nothing to do with B&N
Fair enough. How about this?

They've reduced the price of their international Kindle to $259.

There is a great start.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Fair enough. How about this?

They've reduced the price of their international Kindle to $259.

There is a great start.
Do you think that had anything to do with the Nook? The Nook really isn't a rival to the international Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote