Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #76
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Everyone should take their Lithium batteries down to near zero at least once to get the chemicals mixed properly and to tune the battery monitor. After that one exercise it is not necessary as long as the device is being used regularly.
Mixed properly? Seriously? Do you just make stuff up as you go?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #77
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's my reading average too. Your K3 is either defective or indexing is stuck. A Factory reset may be needed.
The indexing isn't stuck, I've checked it many times over the 2 years. It could be defective though. I think I'll stick with it as its not my main reader anymore and don't want to go to the trouble of putting all my books on there again.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 11-12-2012 at 07:15 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #78
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
error

I have a strange issue updating to 5.3.

I downloaded the formware package, (wow 163 mb, what is that) and transfered to the root of the storage. The "update your kindle" option becomes active, I confirm the update, the Kindle restarts, than starts normally without updating, and without any error message. Upon restart, I still have 5.2. I tried it many times, even downloaded the fw package one more time, connected to charger, tried with battery full, still the same. I got no error message, but the firmware just wont update...
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #79
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post
I have a strange issue updating to 5.3.

I downloaded the formware package, (wow 163 mb, what is that) and transfered to the root of the storage. The "update your kindle" option becomes active, I confirm the update, the Kindle restarts, than starts normally without updating, and without any error message. Upon restart, I still have 5.2. I tried it many times, even downloaded the fw package one more time, connected to charger, tried with battery full, still the same. I got no error message, but the firmware just wont update...
That's weird. When you confirmed the update, did you see the download progress?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #80
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
That's weird. When you confirmed the update, did you see the download progress?
I didn't get the update wirelssly, I downloaded the firmware in my pc and copied it to kindle.

I updated my K3 several times, so I have a clue how should this work, but it doesn't. The strange thing is, when PW restarts the update file is still there like it nothing happens, but my K3 deleted the update file after restart... It is just weird endeed...

I didn't jailbroke it btw...

Last edited by mano42; 11-12-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #81
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't get the update wirelssly, I downloaded the firmware in my pc and copied it to kindle.

I updated my K3 several times, so I have a clue how should this work, but it doesn't. The strange thing is, when PW restarts the update file is still there like it nothing happens, but my K3 deleted the update file after restart... It is just weird endeed...

I didn't jailbroke it btw...
Yes, I know it's not directly downloaded from the Kindle. But when it updates, you should see the update progress. Did you see that? My PW updated flawlessly, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

Connect your Kindle PW to your computer, delete the firmware file. Copy and paste the zip file (do not unzip it on your computer). Disconnect and try updating again.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #82
mano42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Yes, I know it's not directly downloaded from the Kindle. But when it updates, you should see the update progress. Did you see that? My PW updated flawlessly, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

Connect your Kindle PW to your computer, delete the firmware file. Copy and paste the zip file (do not unzip it on your computer). Disconnect and try updating again.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood you, no I don't see the update progress, it just restarts normally after I confirm the update.

I don't get a zip file, it is a binary file, with bin extension, but not zipped... Should I zip it?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #83
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood you, no I don't see the update progress, it just restarts normally after I confirm the update.

I don't get a zip file, it is a binary file, with bin extension, but not zipped... Should I zip it?
I'm sorry, I meant to say it's a bin file. No you shouldn't extract it. Have you tried what I suggested in my earlier post?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #84
mano42

Yes, several times, initially i thought it is a broken file (and there is no crc check ), so I downloaded it again even with different browser, and remade the whole process. Deleted the old file, copied the newly downloaded one. The file should be ok, otherwise the update menu is grayed out, and if the file is broken, I should have some error code when kindle tries to update.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong, like I said I have a K3 and my wife has a Ktouch, and I never had any issues like this. It isn't rocket science after all, download, copy, select update from the menu ...

(English is not my native language, so excuse me if I am struggeling to explain my problem).

Last edited by mano42; 11-12-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #85
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, several times, initially i thought it is a broken file (and there is no crc check ), so I downloaded it again even with different browser, and remade the whole process. Deleted the old file, copied the newly downloaded one. The file should be ok, otherwise the update menu is grayed out, and if the file is broken, I should have some error code when kindle tries to update.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong, like I said I have a K3 and my wife has a Ktouch, and I never had any issues like this. It isn't rocket science after all, download copy, select update from the menu ...

(English is not my native language, so excuse me if I am struggeling to explain my problem).
English is not my native language either. I completely understand you, don't worry. I agree with you, it's not rocket science and it shouldn't be that difficult, it's a matter of drag and drop. I'm sure that you've done everything correctly since this isn't your first time updating a Kindle software. I even tried 'googling' your issue but I didn't find anything on it. This is bizarre, I don't know what else to suggest. I have no idea why your Kindle Paperwhite refuses to update. I hope someone here can help you resolve this problem.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #86
mano42

Anyway, thank you for trying to help me out. I also made a hard reset since then, but still the same.

If everything goes well, what is the right order?

After confirming the update, the update is going on, and AFTER it finishes, the device just restarts, right?
Mine restarts instantly when I am confirming the update (the "do you wish to continue" dialog ), than it starts like nothing happened, like I made only a restart from the menu.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #87
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Anyway, thank you for trying to help me out. I also made a hard reset since then, but still the same.

If everything goes well, what is the right order?

After confirming the update, the update is going on, and AFTER it finishes, the device just restarts, right?
Mine restarts instantly when I am confirming the update (the "do you wish to continue" dialog ), than it starts like nothing happened, like I made only a restart from the menu.
You tap OK when it asks if you wish to continue. Then you should get a message that says Your Kindle software is updating. This can take a few minutes. When your Kindle finishes updating you should get update successful, your Kindle is restarting and then it restarts automatically. I don't know why your Kindle just does a plain restart when you confirm the update
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #88
mano42

Just for curiosity , I tried the update_pw_rescue_pack.bin from the developer forum, nd it actually tries to update it, but because I don't have jailbreak, I got error 007 then kindle restarts. The update file gets deleted as it sould be...

Last edited by mano42; 11-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #89
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
mano42, is it possible for you to try downloading the update via wireless on your Kindle rather than copying the update file over from your computer? And if so have you tried that? That's the only thing I can think of to suggest.

On the topic of battery life: My PW seems to last about the same length of time as my KK. My KK is hardly new though (I got it as soon as they launched in my country and read heavily on it ever since), so I don't know how it would have compared when the device was brand new. They're both 3G models where I keep the wireless switched off when not using it.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #90
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
mano42, is it possible for you to try downloading the update via wireless on your Kindle rather than copying the update file over from your computer? And if so have you tried that? That's the only thing I can think of to suggest.
Is it available to download via Wi-Fi? I don't think Amazon pushed the update to the Kindle PW yet. I might be wrong, I've already updated so I'm not sure.