Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
cruffalo
cruffalo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Announcing Janus - A Calibre Web Application [Open Source]

All,

I'm currently working on a web application for viewing a Calibre library. It supports (as of svn revision 3) viewing by Author, Series, and individual Books.

It does not, as of yet, support viewing by Tags. This is mainly because I'm lazy and haven't written that yet.

That's okay, because it's open source! That's right readers, I'm looking for other Java developers to help improve this new project.

The reasons I created it:
1) I'm supporting Aldiko, Stanza, and generic OPDS readers from one site. I had to generate three catalogs per run with Calibre2OPDS. For a lot of authors. I then had to rsync all those tiny files. Needless to say, this took a long time.
2) Eliminating the file catalogs saves over 200mb of data for my setup (see: #1 for why.)
3) I wanted a little something different.
4) I like tinkering with things. I'm a java engineer by trade.

So, let me know what you think. I'll try and provide what limited support I can here in the comments.

Major props to the Calibre2OPDS guys for paving the way.

(Performance note: for me, with over 1000 books loaded it only takes 125mb of memory. I'm hosing out of the EC2 cloud on a tiny instance type machine and it works great.)

So, if you want to check it out, head on over: http://code.google.com/p/janus/

-Chris

Last edited by cruffalo; 09-06-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: duh, link!
cruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just out of interest, because I'm not getting it: What's the difference between your server and the Calibre content server?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
cruffalo

It's a deployable web application. It doesn't rely on Calibre at all to run and serve content. I've been using it with EC2 and Tomcat to serve out my books.

I just now see that Calibre has a stand alone content server but I don't see how to install it without installing a bunch of other dependencies. Since EC2 is out in the cloud, with absolutely no need to have any GUI, this doesn't make sense.

Janus works on a system with only Java and a Java web container that can handle the 3.0 servlet API. It doesn't require any GUI and is really intended for people who are comfortable deploying to Tomcat.

It's also a fun thing to tinker with.

edit: I also don't know if Calibre's content server can directly handle the XML OPDS feeds.

edit2: It can handle OPDS XML feeds. It cannot be run in a pure headless environment without something like xvfb and some tinkering.

Last edited by cruffalo; 09-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre content server most definitely can be run in a headless environment without xvfb (I run it like that all the time). Furthermore, the calibre installation package comes bundled with all deps (except the X libraries), so it is trivial to set it up in a headless environment. Just install X (but dont start it) and then run the calibre install command.

But, I dont want to discourage you, feel free to work on a solution that suits your needs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
cruffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre content server most definitely can be run in a headless environment without xvfb (I run it like that all the time). Furthermore, the calibre installation package comes bundled with all deps (except the X libraries), so it is trivial to set it up in a headless environment. Just install X (but dont start it) and then run the calibre install command.

But, I dont want to discourage you, feel free to work on a solution that suits your needs.
I tried this. Apparently I did it wrong. If I can get it to work then, well, that'd kill the Janus project pretty effectively. (And I don't have a problem with that.)

I've got Natty 11.04 running on EC2, so I installed xvfb (mentioned in another thread) and then I installed using the python installer. When I tried to run calibre-server I got unsatisfied link exceptions. I saw the same problem in another thread but none of the fixes worked for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need xvfb. Just install X and run calibre-server. When you are running calibre-server make sure you run

/opt/calibre/calibre-server

NOT

/opt/calibre/bin/calibre-server
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote