Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Kindle spared my sanity during (heart attack) hospital stay!

Yep, just about midnight on 8/28, I suffered a massive coronary. Because of 'other health complications', I ended up in ICU/CTU until yesterday. With no functional internet access, and the 'wasteland' of TV channels they allowed, I spent much of that time reading through my stacks of ebooks - pretty near 16 hours per day. Of course that meant that every couple of days I had to swap K2s so my family could take the discharged one back for recharging.

But I tell you, the K2 was a mind-saver!

Anyway, glad to be back!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Wow, sorry to hear that

But glad to hear that you're home now and hopefully well on the way to a full recovery

Good to hear that the Kindle was good for you. I too have spent a couple of extended periods in hospital and would have gone mad if I hadn't had my books (dead tree at the time).

EDIT: A good reason as well for those people who ask why anybody needs more than one e-reader!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Glad you're back on the road to recovery, Derek!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
A very speedy recovery to you........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's great to have you back with us, Derek, especially in light of other recent events.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wow Derek, so sorry about your coronary! I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to post.

Please take care of yourself and keep reading.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Whoa, Derek!! So glad you're back, and glad your mind is intact thanks to the Kindle! A hospital stay without my reader would probably outright kill me.
How are you doing now?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Doing about as well as can be expected. Because of 'bariatric' conditions, they were unable to do angiogram to see if I needed stents elsewhere. So I'm on this massive set of meds to keep my blood much thinner - rat poison (warfarin) is *my* friend!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OMG!!! Get well soon!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Derek, welcome back!

I'm glad you were able to have the Kindle with you and be able to read. You will have to share some of the titles of your favorites with us.

Take it easy, follow Dr.'s orders, and take care.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
glad to hear you are recovering!

my Kindle saved my sanity during my knee surgery and subsequent 3 day hospital stay. I'll go ahead and share my silly anecdote that I have written about before, but what the heck, new audience...

most of the nurses had seen my Kindle and thought it was pretty nifty, but one night there was a new night nurse that was obviously from the DEEP south. typically I would fall asleep reading my Kindle and it would get tangled in the sheets, pillows or whatever. she came in for the first time when I was frantically tossing pillows around, shaking my sheets out and looking rather frantic. "Dahlin'" she drawled "whatevuh is the mattuh? What are you lookin' fer?" my extremely frantic reply was "My KINDLE!!!!! I know I went to sleep with it and I can't find it anywhere, I'm afraid it has fallen on the floor, could you look?" this poor nurse looked at me, a seemingly sane however rather drugged adult and in extreme bewilderment asked; "Your Ken Doll you say? You cannot find your Ken Doll?"

yeah....
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
"Your Ken Doll you say? You cannot find your Ken Doll?"

yeah....
I am never going to be able to think about Kindles again without remembering this story!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Get well, Derek. I was in hospital for a while in April for bypass surgery, and I know what you mean about good company -- though mine was a Sony 505 rather than a Kindle.

Over the past ten years, I've spent months in hospital with heart and vascular problems (once for nine weeks), but the reader made me almost sorry to leave my bed this last time.

In fact, I posted a thread here headed 'Get Well Slow'. At least you'll know what I meant by that. Bedside tables can carry only so many paperbacks, eh?

Keep fit, mate. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
glad to hear you are recovering!

my Kindle saved my sanity during my knee surgery and subsequent 3 day hospital stay. I'll go ahead and share my silly anecdote that I have written about before, but what the heck, new audience...

most of the nurses had seen my Kindle and thought it was pretty nifty, but one night there was a new night nurse that was obviously from the DEEP south. typically I would fall asleep reading my Kindle and it would get tangled in the sheets, pillows or whatever. she came in for the first time when I was frantically tossing pillows around, shaking my sheets out and looking rather frantic. "Dahlin'" she drawled "whatevuh is the mattuh? What are you lookin' fer?" my extremely frantic reply was "My KINDLE!!!!! I know I went to sleep with it and I can't find it anywhere, I'm afraid it has fallen on the floor, could you look?" this poor nurse looked at me, a seemingly sane however rather drugged adult and in extreme bewilderment asked; "Your Ken Doll you say? You cannot find your Ken Doll?"

yeah....
Bah, I wake up in the middle of the night because I can't find my stuffed bear! (a raccoon, actually...) I bought it in '91, because it was sitting in the store, looking at me with those sad eyes...

And my reader is always underneath my pillow!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote