Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Mintaka
Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.Mintaka is no ebook tyro.

Device: K2, K3 3G+WiFi, Nexus One (2.2)
Thumbs down The negative reviews have started on Amazon.

I noticed that all the spammers and trolls have taken up residence on the Kindle 2 product page and have started giving 1 star reviews for a product they don't even own.

I especially like the guy who hates the Kindle 2 because it doesn't have integrated solar power or a color screen for under $100.
Mintaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
I noticed that all the spammers and trolls have taken up residence on the Kindle 2 product page and have started giving 1 star reviews for a product they don't even own.

I especially like the guy who hates the Kindle 2 because it doesn't have integrated solar power or a color screen for under $100.
what ? are you saying that's unreasonable ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've been reporting them.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
He should be pointed to the Pomegranet Page. He can sit and breathlessly wait for his ideal to come to life for as long as it takes...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
User reviews are nothing more than someones opinion. You know what they say, they are like, er.... well everyone has one. And, he is entitled to his.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And it is very easy to read these reviews and know when someone is being serious or stupid. And the reviews based on nothing at all are the stupid ones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
kguthrie
kguthrie began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm ready to hear some real reviews on the Kindle 2. I just used a friends K1 over the weekend and was really impressed by it. I want to buy one, but I want to see the K2 first.
kguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nobody seems to mind the positive reviews by people who don't have a Kindle II yet
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
User reviews are nothing more than someones opinion. You know what they say, they are like, er.... well everyone has one. And, he is entitled to his.

BOb
Yes, but other people are entitled to their opinion of his opinion; and you're entitled to your opinion of their opinion of his opinion; and I'm entitled to my opinion of your opinion of their opinion of his opinion.
... it's just that I don't have one.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
One reason I cannot give a 5 star rating is because of the DRM (digital rights management). When you purchase a Kindle book, you don't actually own it like you do with a paper book. Part of the charm of paper books is that after you are done reading them, you can give them to a family member or a friend. Or you can sell it used. With Kindle books, you cannot do this and are pretty much stuck. Even though you have paid for the book, you cannot give it to a friend or sell it when you are finished reading it. There are few books that I need or want to keep after reading so consider the price you pay for Kindle books to be more of a rental fee, rather than a purchase.
I'm amazed at how many people think this.

With a paperback, there is wear and tear. With a digital copy, there would be no difference between a used or new copy. Why would anybody pay more if you could buy a used copy for cheaper or chip in a dollar and start a book train with multiple people?
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I'm amazed at how many people think this.

With a paperback, there is wear and tear. With a digital copy, there would be no difference between a used or new copy. Why would anybody pay more if you could buy a used copy for cheaper or chip in a dollar and start a book train with multiple people?
meh, the "wear and tear" argument is only valid to a certain point. i've seen used books that probably had never been read. i've also seen used books that looked like they had been through a war. resale of ebooks is problematic because it implies copying the file, and therefore potentially copyright infringement, but i still have to agree that we lose some rights we should legitimately have as purchasers of content (including the "first sale" doctrine).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Those aren't reviews they just happen to be in the review section.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
I wonder if there's any way Amazon could let you know which reviewers actually purchased the product from them? That would help a lot.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The trolls are slow to get to Amazon...

cNet has had their page up for easily two weeks and the bogus "reviews" have been there since the page went live...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
stinsmom
stinsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just think of it this way, everyone who won't buy one just frees up one for me! Woo Hoo!
stinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote