Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah... I see. Putting something like that in the actual specs does make it look suspicious.

Reading the specs if they do release this thing it will be about $500.

BOb
well, there was a link back to the original article... personally, i like a company with a sense of humour. for once, somebody not taking themselves too seriously ! it makes a nice change, and gives me a favorable predisposition towards them. of course, now i'm waiting to see more specs and the price, but i'm a little more interested than i would have been otherwise...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
If they can add images to RTF and hyperlinks and make it so that you can have over 2000 files on the device and a good organizational system then I may be sold.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
P.S. if it can support LRF and mobi that would help a lot too.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
P.S. if it can support LRF and mobi that would help a lot too.
Or if it ONLY supports DRM free ePub and they can get publishers to sell DRM free ebooks on their web site... that would REALLY help.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or if it ONLY supports DRM free ePub and they can get publishers to sell DRM free ebooks on their web site... that would REALLY help.

BOb
oh yeah !!!
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'll be curious to see what their store looks like. The data charges to download books shouldn't be too bad (as long as you're not in the US). From what I've read about mobile service in Europe, you can buy a SIM with a certain amount of service on it without monthly charges like you have here in the US. They really overcharge for mobile service here. I would imagine Amazon's exclusive contract with Sprint was the only way they could make it affordable. Books aren't that big and, from a quick googling, it looks like the going rate in Germany is just a few cents per KB.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
noonscoomo
Enthusiast
noonscoomo doesn't litternoonscoomo doesn't litter

Device: txtr reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
I don't like the fact that there's no status information on the display itself - especially page numbers. Maybe this can be customized, but, if not, it would annoy me to not know what page I was on without having to access the menu.
The status information is just showed while page turning. It hides then after a while. You can configure that so it stays on the screen. But think about it, in text with adjustable fontsize page numbers doesn't make so much sense. It's more important to know where in the document you are
noonscoomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonscoomo View Post
The status information is just showed while page turning. It hides then after a while. You can configure that so it stays on the screen. But think about it, in text with adjustable fontsize page numbers doesn't make so much sense. It's more important to know where in the document you are
hi noonscoomo, am i correct in guessing you are from the txtr team ? welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here.

concerning your comment, thanks for that information. very interesting to get an idea of how the display will work. the "page numbers or not page numbers" question is a whole sack of knots. i think you'll be surprised to find that there are many people who are quite attached to this convention, for many reasons (reference, evaluation of the length of the text, evaluation of how much text is remaining... these are a few reasons).

anyway we'll be really happy to hear any information you can give us about your device, i think a lot of us are very intrigued and looking forward to the launch ! please feel free to take a look around the forums and ask any questions you want to ; maybe it could even be useful for you to get some insight from users.

oh, and if you need any beta-testers, please put my name on your list.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
noonscoomo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
No touchscreen. What it has is: These are probably the same kind of "keys" as the iRex Digital Reader has, and I assume the "slider" is the long axis of the cross.
correct, vertical is a capacitive slider for menu selection, touch on the thing to select. But also the horizontal axis is a slider with good precision. It's used for page turning most of the time... slide with the thumb from left to right for page forward and vice versa.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #25
noonscoomo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hi noonscoomo, am i correct in guessing you are from the txtr team ? welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here.
Jep, I am from the txtr team and thank you for the warm welcome.
And no, I am not surprised, I know mobileread very well ;-)

I will try to answer as many questions as possible, but please try to understand our situation. On one hand we want to give as much information as possible to you, on the other hand we have to take care about many constraints. This makes it a little bit risky to say exactly when and how much. But believe me, we are working very hard on it and it is not a fake and we will ship it as soon as possible (Q3 this year) and with a very acceptable cost-perfomance ratio.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonscoomo View Post
Jep, I am from the txtr team and thank you for the warm welcome.
And no, I am not surprised, I know mobileread very well ;-)
that is brilliant news ! it's really great when manufacturers try to stay close to their users (even if you are being stealthy ).

Quote:
I will try to answer as many questions as possible, but please try to understand our situation. On one hand we want to give as much information as possible to you, on the other hand we have to take care about many constraints. This makes it a little bit risky to say exactly when and how much. But believe me, we are working very hard on it and it is not a fake and we will ship it as soon as possible (Q3 this year) and with a very acceptable cost-perfomance ratio.
oh yes, i completely understand you are not free to tell us everything yet, but i'm sure we will all be really interested to hear any information you can give us, now and as we get closer to the launch. welcome again ! i'm looking forward to Q3 of this year...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
That's really nice !
Welcome noonscoomo to you and this new reader...

I love the design of this one and the features seems very promising.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
That's really nice !
Welcome noonscoomo to you and this new reader...

I love the design of this one and the features seems very promising.
poor Dedale is never going to be able to decide which device to get. there are more and more to tempt him.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
is it going to support any DRM format?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #30
noonscoomo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
is it going to support any DRM format?
We hate DRM, but unfortunately the discussion is floating from one end to the other. On one hand apple has made the deal to kill DRM in music, on the other hand adobe digital editions rulez the story in books.

So, yes, we will do DRM but we will try our best that we never will need it.