Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It has to be said that starting to read Philip K. Dick by opening Ubik is like starting to explore the solar system by flying to Pluto.

I've not read it since 1978, but the teenage me was blown away by it. I've been struggling to think of a book that's like it. Again, I'd have to reread it, but Dick's own A Scanner Darkly also had an effect on me.

Graham
I was also blown away by Ubik even though it's 2013. And I now bought a lot of PKD and am planning to read A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Martian Time-Slip, The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and Valis Trilogy based on the recommendation in the foreword to Ubik by Michael Marshall Smith. I guess those would be my introduction to PK Dick
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Ubik and Dick? Is there anything else like Dick? If you liked Ubik, you'd probably like The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and A Martian Timeslip. They're not my faves, but they are wacky like Ubik in the sense they mess around with realities in a similar way. My fave is probably The Man in the High Castle.

You might like to try Stanislaw Lem, but it's heavy. The most famous and possibly the best is Solaris. Lem loved Dick, if you see want I mean. He called him 'a prince among knaves.' He annoyed most of the science-fiction writiers in America, particularly Philip Jose Farmer. It's called the Lem Incident if you want to google it.

You got me thinking. If you like wacked-out sci-fi with mess-up realities, try some Christopher Preist. I reccomend The Prestige and The Separation. He really pissed off Harlan Ellison, but that's another story, lol. I just read the Inverted World by Preist and I was really impressed by it. But the other two I mentioned first are more wacked-out in a Dick sense. If you know what I mean

I have heard of Stanislaw Lem a lot, but never read him. I have seen the original Solaris movie by Tarkovsky and even the later one by Soderbergh so I think I would love the book. I'll certainly try it.
I've never heard of Christopher Priest, but I'll try reading books you recommended too, thank you!
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Goodreads has a pretty good list of authors like Philip K. Dick:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/simi....Philip_K_Dick

There must be something in the air with Dick. Just started The Man in the High Castle this week.
I just couldn't believe when I read Ubik that the book was there all this time and I have never read it! Or read anything by Dick. I am also planning to read The Man in the High Castle in my PKS spree.

Quote:
Actually, I can't think of anybody that writes like PKD, but there's a few on the list that write quirky, sometimes difficult to understand works.

Cordwainer Smith
Arkady Strugatsky
Stanisław Lem
Brian W. Aldiss
Samuel R. Delany

Only Lem is known to me by name, I will check out the other authors you recommend.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
jmilica
Banned

Thank you all for the recommendations, I was already starting to despair that I will be reading other Dick's novels and when I finish them I won't know what to read...I even made a pause with Dick - in order to savour his writing slowly - and started reading Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. It is interesting, but nowhere close to P.K.Dick...
Thank you all once again!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maybe try Jeff Noon? He's more cyberpunk, but I understand he is very "out there". I have no experience with him, but he's one of the authors I have on my must-read-before-I-die list which includes PKD, Stanislaw Lem and quite a few others mind-expanding sci-fi writers.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Maybe try Jeff Noon? He's more cyberpunk, but I understand he is very "out there". I have no experience with him, but he's one of the authors I have on my must-read-before-I-die list which includes PKD, Stanislaw Lem and quite a few others mind-expanding sci-fi writers.
Thanks, I'll check him out.
I also started wondering if Theodore Sturgeon might have anything in common with PKD? I have heard of him and saw that Amazon recently released his complete short stories recently?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Thanks, I'll check him out.
I also started wondering if Theodore Sturgeon might have anything in common with PKD? I have heard of him and saw that Amazon recently released his complete short stories recently?
Not particularly. Sturgeon wrote basically about love, in all it's myriad forms and inversions. Most of it is magnificent, but PKD it's not.

Science fiction is an immense bazaar, with goods from all over the imagination, most of which may have little relationship with each other. Like finding a diamond next to a fully ripe pineapple. They are both at the bazaar for sale, both are excellent, and they are totally different...
Greg Anos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #23
jmilica
Banned

Thank you! I guess that means I should anyway check out Sturgeon as well
Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! I guess that means I should anyway check out Sturgeon as well
There will be a selected short stories of Sturgeon coming out on Tuesday. That would be the place to start. Then Venus Plus x and then More than Human.

If you would like to read science fiction for an Oriental Worldview, I strongly recommend Cordwainer Smith (Paul Linebarger). His entire science fiction works are available in 2 volumes.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
There will be a selected short stories of Sturgeon coming out on Tuesday. That would be the place to start. Then Venus Plus x and then More than Human.

If you would like to read science fiction for an Oriental Worldview, I strongly recommend Cordwainer Smith (Paul Linebarger). His entire science fiction works are available in 2 volumes.
Thanks! I got me The Complete Stories of Sturgeon from Amazon - there are I think 13 volumes published so far, but I didn't get them all And I also got More than Human, it has extremely good reviews!
What would you recommend from Cordwainer Smith?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks! I got me The Complete Stories of Sturgeon from Amazon - there are I think 13 volumes published so far, but I didn't get them all And I also got More than Human, it has extremely good reviews!
What would you recommend from Cordwainer Smith?
Everything. His total S/F works are only around 35 stories. they are collected in 2 volumes. Most of them form a "future history" most starting from 4000 years in the future.

Recommended individual stories...

The Lady Who Sailed The Soul"
"The Game of Rat and Dragon"
"Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons"
"The Ballad of Lost C'Mell"
"A Planet Named Shayol"
and my favorirte...
"On The Sand Planet"

and non-Instrumentality stories
"Nancy"
"Angerhelm"
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes...On literature map the closest to PKD is Dostoyevsky...I love Dostoyevsky, but I would like SF recommendations...
Off-topic, I had always considered Notes From Underground to be primarily SF.

On-topic, in the Philip K. Dick world, I would recommend Time Out Of Joint. If you need words on the plot, it's very clearly the uncredited inspiration for the film "The Truman Show," but with much more depth. Typical (almost archetypal) PKD examination of the nature of reality.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Recommended individual stories...

The Lady Who Sailed The Soul"
"The Game of Rat and Dragon"
"Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons"
"The Ballad of Lost C'Mell"
"A Planet Named Shayol"
and my favorirte...
"On The Sand Planet"

and non-Instrumentality stories
"Nancy"
"Angerhelm"
Thank you! I can't get ebooks of the two collections you mentioned, but I got one collection which includes some of the stories you recommended. I'll try reading them when I finish with reading all of PKD I can lay my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Off-topic, I had always considered Notes From Underground to be primarily SF.

On-topic, in the Philip K. Dick world, I would recommend Time Out Of Joint. If you need words on the plot, it's very clearly the uncredited inspiration for the film "The Truman Show," but with much more depth. Typical (almost archetypal) PKD examination of the nature of reality.
I never read Notes from Underground. What I read by Dostoevsky never seemed SF to me. Thanks for the hint.
As for Dick, I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and started now The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. I also got Time Out of Joint, so I'll be reading for sure soon. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Actually, I can't think of anybody that writes like PKD, ...
Thank the literature gods!

I don't care for PK Dick at all!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #30
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thank the literature gods!

I don't care for PK Dick at all!
I guess we should all be grateful then to literature gods, you for the lack of more PKD like writers, me for discovering one more of my personal and very unique favourites