Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
bravodia008
bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.bravodia008 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: KOBO
Talking Broken Screen Blues

I joined this site just to write this.
Also, I LOVE this site. It is so very helpful!

Shh! I will make a confession.
I broke the screen on my Kobo.
I'd bought it last fall,
so we're talking about roughly 8 months later
no receipt
I was travelling with it in my bag without its case (it was adding bulk to my carry-on) I must have shoved in my work binder in too forcefully because later on in the flight, as I eagerly took it out to read my newest downloads...
Half the screen was showing a crack in the bottom right hand corner, on the inside, so the font was all messed up, not a crack on the physical screen.

I was so sad!
When I first bought it, I was having battery issues (would die after a couple of hours of reading), wifi lags (it was seriously slow-- I ended up just disabling it) and whenever I synced it, it would wipe out previous purchases?? I actually hated it, then tried it out again this winter -without expecting anything from it- and started loving it.

Anyway, after googling "Kobo cracked screen" (what to do!), I found several threads here suggesting contacting customer service.

I have never been SO impressed with customer service!!!

I sent off an email.
Got a reply promptly.
I received a Purolator envelope soon after.
Sent it off.
Got it sent back... with a beautiful NEW Kobo!

I am now a Kobo fan/convert/supporter!!

Thank you KOBO Customer Care!
Thank you MobileRead members!

PS. To people who are not receiving a reply from Customer Service, I strongly suggest trying again. In my first month of owning this, I emailed alot regarding all the issues I was having. Just be persistent until you get it solved. (As with every other company's cs, I think it really depends who you get as well.)
bravodia008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Welcome to MobileRead and what a great outcome
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I use my kobo wifi and touch without case because ones I tried were bulky and offered little real protection. If I feel extra protection is needed in bag I place 3/16 inch hard board over screen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Great service from Kobo.

It's interesting how willing both Amazon and Kobo are to exchange broken units (don't know about B&N). I think it's an indication of just how much they are following a so-called "razors and blades" market strategy - i.e., they aren't trying to profit on the ereaders, they see them as just an enabler to sell you a lifetime of ebooks. That's probably one of the reasons why no consumer electronics companies except Sony are offering ereaders.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Great service from Kobo.

It's interesting how willing both Amazon and Kobo are to exchange broken units (don't know about B&N). I think it's an indication of just how much they are following a so-called "razors and blades" market strategy - i.e., they aren't trying to profit on the ereaders, they see them as just an enabler to sell you a lifetime of ebooks. That's probably one of the reasons why no consumer electronics companies except Sony are offering ereaders.
Well if that's the case they have me hooked. So far I've probably spent over $200 in books from Kobo, actually I know I have. Now if those darn Star Wars writers would just give it a rest for awhile....
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
That's a great customer service story. Thumbs up to Kobo. Personally, I got the $35 protection plan within a day or two of my purchase. I find the "even drops and spills" part of the plan very appealing, and I have great peace of mind about my KT because of that. Of course, I still try to take care of it, but it's nice to have that comfort.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
fiona974
fiona974 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I wish my story was as good. My Kobo stopped working. It was in it's case and I really can't imagine what I could have done to make it stop. I sent an email to Kobo, no response after a few days. Called them. They said they would send me an envelope to send my Kobo to them - still no envelope several days later. I'm going to have to call them again, I guess to get this taken care of. Not happy with the customer service or the fact that my Kobo broke in less than a year. I keep it in a padded case at all times when I'm not reading it.
fiona974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I had a Kobo wifi with screen problem. It took weeks to get replacement package.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

I turned on my kobo to see a very messed up screen. I called support this morning and was given a case file and an address and told to mail it into Toronto. It will be "evaluated" there, and if found defective, they will send me a new one. If it is found to be broken by user (I didn't do anything, but I have three small kids who are denying touching it!) they will contact me with a price to repair the screen.

Anyone ever paid to have it replaced, and if so, how much did it cost you?

I was told this process could take 6 or more weeks.

Edited to add: I called Kobo support today and was told by a different agent 4-6 weeks, that the fee to replace a screen is $59.95, and they would cover shipping it back to me.

Last edited by frozenmama; 10-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

Had a pleasant surprise yesterday - got a refurbished kobo in the mail. Less than two weeks turn around including postage times and no cost to me to replace the screen.

I'm very pleased with the customer service and with the new to me kobo.
frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenmama View Post
Had a pleasant surprise yesterday - got a refurbished kobo in the mail. Less than two weeks turn around including postage times and no cost to me to replace the screen.

I'm very pleased with the customer service and with the new to me kobo.
That's great news! It would really have been a drag if they had evaluated the screen as being 'user' broken, as opposed to being defective. If that were the case, by the time you end up waiting and paying to fix the thing, you could've just bought a new one for not much more.

I noticed Kobo is are offering 'extended' warranties for the Vox - anyone know if are they available to the regular Kobo WiFi and KT?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes the Touch has one. See http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_protection_plan
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cracked screen, customer care, customer service, kobo