Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #511
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
No it isn't... Microsoft got into trouble for trying to control what dozens of manufacturers were doing... As Apple make iPhone, iPod and iPad then they may control their App markets but if you don't like it then don't use Apple kit... there's plenty of other things out there...
MS got in trouble for using their market position to impose licensing fees on everyone even if they were not using Windows.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #512
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

That ain't no app, it is a website.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #513
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'm more than happy to do my Kindle purchases externally and read on my ipad.
I'm sure that's the most that will happen. I remember when all the hubbub was that Apple would NEVER allow competing book apps on the iPad. This is more chicken-little-ism.

I too buy most of my books from Amazon even though I read them on my iPad and iPhone (don't have a kindle, don't plan on getting one).

Keep in mind that Amazon was actually PAYING people to take ebooks off their hands in the past. I wouldn't put it past Amazon to be willing to take nothing for the ebooks it sells on the iPad rather than forgoing the platform altogether.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #514
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Impose, control... same thing in this context...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
MS got in trouble for using their market position to impose licensing fees on everyone even if they were not using Windows.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #515
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
More and more iOS developers are getting angry and stopping development:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...lopers-too.ars
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #516
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
That's a web app, doesn't count.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #517
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I remember when all the hubbub was that Apple would NEVER allow competing book apps on the iPad. This is more chicken-little-ism.
Exactly! I was thinking of that just the other day and searched out a couple of those threads - hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
More and more iOS developers are getting angry and stopping development:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...lopers-too.ars
They quote two developers - does that count as 'more and more' <shrug>? One of the developers ("Readability" app) sees no irony in complaining about Apple's proposed cut whilst explaining that Readability's business model revolves around taking a 30% commission for 'reformatting web pages and removing the ads' whilst the other is "more than willing to give Apple a cut of the sales they assist in" but quite reasonably complains that "the rules simply put any service that includes a web-based component with access limited by a subscription in jeopardy of having a native iOS client rejected, or at best left in a very nebulous gray area."

So clearly some clarification needed for some people - and personally I have no doubt that all will become clear by the time June 30th rolls around.

From the article above: "If Apple plans to stick to its guns and effectively demand a 30 percent cut of all revenue generated by iOS apps, then content and service providers need to factor that into their business plans.".
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #518
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I remember when all the hubbub was that Apple would NEVER allow competing book apps on the iPad.
It's like the drug dealer who gives you the stuff for free, gets you hooked, and then hits you with a bill for continued use.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #519
Horemheb
Connoisseur
Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.Horemheb is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's like the drug dealer who gives you the stuff for free, gets you hooked, and then hits you with a bill for continued use.
Regarding content it's also like maffia demanding protection money: they approach a thriving business "offering" a "service" the business does not need at all and on an incredible price on top of that. The same is happening here: Apple demands money for a service Amazon, B&N and other players do not need which is emphasized by the fact that content publishing and retail works very well now without any "help" from Apple.
Horemheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #520
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, I have two Zinio mags which are up for renewal, and I am waiting (i.e. not spending my money on them) because I am worried that app makers like Kobo and Zinio will pull out of the app store completely rather than give Apple a cut. Zinio is actively losing money, today, right now, from me, over this...

And I was at Indigo yesterday and say a ton of Kobo posters. They all have pictures of the Kobo app on the iPad on them, and they tout being able to read your books on any device. If Apple doesn't get this straightened out, it's going to affect a lot of people's business models. And people WILL feel mislead if they bought a device on that poster hoping to read their Kobo books on it and then that proves not possible.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #521
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Looks like Amazon, B&N, and Kobo are going to pull out, and it may not be just because of the 30% cut.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ulled-in-june/

This also contains some discussion of the "rules" and "interpretation" of those rules by Apple, which are like a moving target.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #522
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My, mobile OS's are so convoluted - permission required for this app, can't have that app - what a mess!

Sure glad PC's don't operate that way.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #523
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Looks like Amazon, B&N, and Kobo are going to pull out, and it may not be just because of the 30% cut.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ulled-in-june/

This also contains some discussion of the "rules" and "interpretation" of those rules by Apple, which are like a moving target.
The 3,000 item limit has been knocking around in the blog posts on this for a while, but I don't see that as being a major issue for two reasons:

1) It seems to be a fairly arbitrary limit (one article talked about a company that had it raised to 3,500 when they needed it), and one that I'm sure Apple could alter if they really wanted to keep an app in the market.

2) It only really comes into play if this also applies to content, which has not been officially confirmed. Even 3,000 items would cover a fairly large store of magazine subscriptions.

So this boils down to whether we can give credence to this blogger's 'off the record confirmation' that the apps will be pulled. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that I reckon this has got a long way to run yet.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 02-22-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: removed comment about Rhapsody. Realised that they probably only need a few items to cover their various subscription periods.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #524
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc

Quote:
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #525
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
My, mobile OS's are so convoluted - permission required for this app, can't have that app - what a mess!

That's why I always liked Windows Mobile. It's completely open, you can install whatever you want, and don't have to answer to anyone.

Too bad it's deader than a dodo.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote