Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #301
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Problem is, I can't get the shelf management to work - after setting it up, Calibre throws error messages when I try and connect. Hence why I was asking here - basically, if there is a setting in the Kobo config file that allows that information to display.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #302
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What error messages are you getting?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #303
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently I have a malformed database - whether that's the Calibre database or the Kobo database I don't know... I suspect the former because it got seriously mucked up moving files in and out of Dropbox and the way I was handling file names (manual series information). The Kobo is only a couple of weeks old.

This is the error:

calibre, version 1.29.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1781, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1656, in get_bookshelvesforbook
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Last edited by maddz; 03-23-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #304
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope... that means the Kobo database is corrupted. Easiest way to fix it is to just "logout" on the device; go to Settings | Accounts and select "Sign out" next to the Kobo account. This will delete the Kobo database, but will not change the firmware.

You will have to redo the setup though on the device.

Books loaded via calibre will not be removed from the device and will be re-added to the database after setup is completed.

Books loaded via WiFi or Kobo Desktop will be readded the next time you either sync via WiFi or attach the Touch to the PC with Kobo Desktop active.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #305
maddz
Wizard

Finally! It worked AND my shelves are populated... Now all I've got to do is restore the series info to the title plugboard. That'll have to wait until next weekend now - it's past my bedtime.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #306
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nope... that means the Kobo database is corrupted. Easiest way to fix it is to just "logout" on the device; go to Settings | Accounts and select "Sign out" next to the Kobo account. This will delete the Kobo database, but will not change the firmware.

You will have to redo the setup though on the device.

Books loaded via calibre will not be removed from the device and will be re-added to the database after setup is completed.

Books loaded via WiFi or Kobo Desktop will be readded the next time you either sync via WiFi or attach the Touch to the PC with Kobo Desktop active.
Thanks! I didn't know you could do it without factory reset, and given that I run an older firmware with a few patches, the process was kinda tedious.

EDIT: Whoops. I forgot you can't setup your Kobo without syncing and, obviously, updating. Well, I was curious about that 3.2.0 anyway

Last edited by hoichi; 03-24-2014 at 04:08 PM.
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #307
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
Can I get Android on my touch?
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #308
KevinNash
KevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolateKevinNash is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
It seems that, starting with the 3.1.0 fw upgrade, this trick no longer works to manually refresh the screen. Has anyone found a new way to manually refresh that works with 3.1.x?

Hi, same thing for me with 3.2.0 fw, Kobo HD, any idea to manually refresh the page ?
KevinNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #309
Rabbition
Rabbition began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

Not long ago, I read that you can change the volume of the light meter /when tapping it/ from 10 levels to a smaller number. Can please someone link this topic or do tell..

Thanks very much
Rabbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #310
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbition View Post
Hello,

Not long ago, I read that you can change the volume of the light meter /when tapping it/ from 10 levels to a smaller number. Can please someone link this topic or do tell..

Thanks very much
For firmware 3.8.0 check this thread: Instructions for patching firmware 3.8.0 in the Kobo Developer's Corner. There are similar threads for older firmware as well.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #311
Chaoie
Chaoie began at the beginning.

Device: None
Wink Kobo bookmark system

Hi!

I'm new at posting since I only read here. I have Kindle Paperwhite 2 and just had Kobo Aura yesterday (and loving it!) one thing I noticed is the Annotation/bookmark system, it doesn't have a preview or detail when I view it (so I need to tap and view then back again if I'm at the wrong page,) it's hard to find where I left the book when I go browsing the home screen, etc.. (unlike Kindle where you can see what's inside that bookmark, popping on a small screen) or am I missing something?

It only says.. Bookmark (date) and 0% into chapter, when I open annotations. I got books from my Kindle and converted it, copied and pasted it on Kobo using USB via PC. I may have the latest firmware since I updated it when I opened it and connected to a wifi.

Thank you for any help!
Chaoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #312
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Chaoie: The annotations list has two view. I think you are in the list view. Press the menu icon (the three lines) at the top right of the list. One of the options is the other view which should be "Notebook view". Select it and the selected text and annotation is shown.

Also, if you long press on items in a list, you will get a menu. On the annotations list, this will have "View details". That shows the full annotation in a new window. Press the arrow in the top left to get back.

If you do go to an annotation in the book, there should be a "Previous location" link in the bottom menu to return to where you were.

As you are a new Kobo user, some of the UI conventions are explained here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #313
Chaoie

Hi David!

Thank you for your reply. I tried yout tips and this is what I see

When I open the 3 lines at the bottom of a page (where Im currently am) and choose Annotations, there is a pop up window that shows a list, after long pressing a bookmark line it says:

Show on Page
View details - if I press this I only see: Bookmark: 0% into chapter (no more other details)
Remove Bookmark
Add Note

I dont have Menu icon on top if Im at the list view. And cant see the option for Notebook View. Just Annotations as title then Bookmark lists. Thank you for your help
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #314
Chaoie

I don't know if it is because of these factors:

1. Software version is 3.1.0 (12/2/13) [I'm from Philippines BTW]
2. The books were sideloaded using PC via USB (converted books from my kindle to epub)
3. I tried checking the Book List and choose the Book I'm reading - long press and I see this:

- View Details
- Mark as unread
- Mark as finished
- Add to Collection
- Remove

There is no option for Annotations.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #315
Chaoie

Hi me again,

I kept reading from other sites about this and found a new firmware, the 3.11.0 firmware and installed it (came from ebookreader.com blog site) I now see the Notebook view. I just hope Kobo will have that preview feature too like Kindle.