Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Question Problems with formatting

I've been experimenting with scanning books for the past few weeks and have been making some great headway. I'm using an OCR (ABBYY FineReader 9.0) and the file it shoots out looks fantastic (using MS .DOC but HTML/RTF yield the same result).

The problem is as soon as I try and convert it into something my Kindle can use it all goes to hell.

Everything gets smashed together and I lose centering and page breaks.

Is there some type of trick or code I can use to preserve the formatting (such as the chapter title being on a separate page and centered)
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you have a Windows machine, use the free Mobipocket Creator with the HTML output. You might need to change the HTML a little if the chapter headings are only in the HTML as different sized text, rather than as <h1>, <h2> etc tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I've been experimenting with scanning books for the past few weeks and have been making some great headway. I'm using an OCR (ABBYY FineReader 9.0) and the file it shoots out looks fantastic (using MS .DOC but HTML/RTF yield the same result).

The problem is as soon as I try and convert it into something my Kindle can use it all goes to hell.

Everything gets smashed together and I lose centering and page breaks.

Is there some type of trick or code I can use to preserve the formatting (such as the chapter title being on a separate page and centered)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Ha, I figured it out.

Turns out that ABBYY was setting all the text to "Justify" instead of Center/Left/Right. So despite the fact that it looked formatted, it wasn't. I had to manually go through in MS Word and set the text but it turns out pretty good.

Book:

Mobi file on my Kindle:

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-21-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote