Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #76
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Well, that makes two of us that are confused.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #77
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Just applied the update.

Glad I was wrong to assume Amazon wouldn't add KF8.

I played with KF8 comic book format (Watchmen) and it works just fine, even displays in color! (well not really) Panel View is on by default, and unlike other KF8 implementations, you can zoom and pan the page or panel view. It uses the entire screen, i.e. no margins. I think they should have had 'Actual Size' as the panel view Zoom default rather than 'Fit-to-screen', as the latter suffers from scaling artifacts. No bookmarks/sharing/TOC. But otherwise, most excellent!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-24949.gif
Views:	263
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	92374   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-24954.gif
Views:	224
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	92375   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-24955.gif
Views:	244
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	92376  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #78
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you have previously installed the Kindle Jailbreak (0.10N) & Custom screen saver hack, do you need remove them before updating?
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #79
MorningSong
MorningSong began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
The update worked fine for me with the jailbreak, font, and screensaver hacks installed, but I had to re-jailbreak and update the font hack after the upgrade.
MorningSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #80
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, what is it you're asking? Why Amazon push out firmware updates?
My comment was a question of why we had to get the Kindle update using a computer download and then usb2 to the Kindle connection rather than just getting the update by using the Kindle itself and Wi-Fi.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #81
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
My comment was a question of why we had to get the Kindle update using a computer download and then usb2 to the Kindle connection rather than just getting the update by using the Kindle itself and Wi-Fi.
They roll out the OTA updates in waves, to manage resources, I guess. It's available for download for those who don't want to wait (or who don't use wireless, of course.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #82
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
It's a service offered by Amazon in case you don't want to wait for them to push an OTA update. Do nothing and you will eventually get it anyway, it might just take some time.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #83
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
be warned - I downloaded this update with a full battery, and after running the update was down below half - not that I minded recharging the kindle, but I wouldn't run the update with a low battery.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #84
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
be warned - I downloaded this update with a full battery, and after running the update was down below half - not that I minded recharging the kindle, but I wouldn't run the update with a low battery.
I've always heard it was best to have a full battery. I guess that's why ^ I suppose it would foul up the works if the battery went dead mid-update.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #85
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Every ereader I have had has recommended having mostly a full charge when updating.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #86
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Usually any portable device will warn you or the download info will have the warning to plug in the power cord or to at least have a full battery.

The problem is that sometimes the battery is old or not fully charging and you think you are ok, but then you go down while you are installing firmware and you are really "cooked."

I think a GPS once warned me that if the charge failed while making a firmware update that you would have to send it back to the factory and they would charge you at least for shipping, and it would take a week to 2 weeks, so hook up the power cord for safety.

I have taken their advice and can report good results.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #87
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Not much good for me unfortunately. I have a DX Graphite and no update is listed for it.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #88
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Not much good for me unfortunately. I have a DX Graphite and no update is listed for it.
Unfortunately, Amazon has pretty much abandoned the Kindle DX line.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
The DX is a Kindle 2. We definitely won't see KF8 for that range, I'm certain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #90
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The DX is a Kindle 2. We definitely won't see KF8 for that range, I'm certain.
Yeah, I'm pretty certain about that as well

And they won't sell me a 8.9" Fire HD (me being in the Netherlands) either. Although that may be an 'as yet', as we're supposed to get our own Amazon store next month.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote