Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #91
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
I want to add margin between text and image but I can't do it by using em as my unit. It works fine with %, pt and px but not with em. Why em doesn't work?
Code:
p.image {
	line-height: 0.00em;
	font-size: 0.00em;
You set font-size to 0, which sets the value of an em to 0 as well.
From the spec:
Quote:
The 'em' unit is equal to the computed value of the 'font-size' property of the element on which it is used. The exception is when 'em' occurs in the value of the 'font-size' property itself, in which case it refers to the font size of the parent element.
Leave out the font-size attribute, so that it inherits the size of the parent element.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #92
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
You set font-size to 0, which sets the value of an em to 0 as well.
Ah, that was the problem. Thanks a lot charleski!
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #93
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Poems with fixed layout

Once again I'm having problems with poems and this time with fixed layout in poems. Take a look at my example pictures.

I'm quite doubtful but is there a way (preferably an easy way) to keep that layout so it would look same in different devices and monitors regardless the screen size? My own answer would be no. Is this just something that cannot be done in EPUB?

I have been thinking about adding Page Map but I can't define exact page size that would work in every screen size, right?

I could play with div elements but it wouldn't work with every screen size.

If this is impossible to do in EPUB, do you have any good suggestions to do such poems in EPUB? Or should these poems be presented only in fixed layout file formats e.g. PDF?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poem01.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	53202   Click image for larger version

Name:	poem02.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	53203   Click image for larger version

Name:	poem03.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	53204  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #94
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Yikes !!!!

Has my eyesight gone or are those picture blurry !!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Yikes !!!!

Has my eyesight gone or are those picture blurry !!!!!
It's done that way so we cannot read what's there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #96
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's done that way so we cannot read what's there.
Perhaps but they could have been post with a little more clarity so that we can see the point that is being raised ....
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #97
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think (s)he wants the "poetry" to be displayed always with the same relative positioning/indentation.

One of the things one has to consider is that ebooks are typically displayed in small screens, so whatever format is used, it must be adaptable to narrow text widths.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #98
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think (s)he wants the "poetry" to be displayed always with the same relative positioning/indentation.

One of the things one has to consider is that ebooks are typically displayed in small screens, so whatever format is used, it must be adaptable to narrow text widths.
I think that the only way would be 'fixed' as in pdf - or accept some relative positioning ... For myself, I have more of an issue of poems that move over and onto the next page .... it looks untidy, but that's another issue ....
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #99
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
I'm quite doubtful but is there a way (preferably an easy way) to keep that layout so it would look same in different devices and monitors regardless the screen size?
Screen size is the real issue. Essentially you want to be able to control the size of the text in order to ensure that lines don't wrap, the rest is just simple justification and margin control.

Unfortunately, CSS2 doesn't have conditional rules that would be useful here. If you're targeting readers equipped with ADE, though, then you could take advantage of Adobe's page-template extension and the conditional styling it allows. See the section on dynamic styling here. This can be used to set differing selector rules for different sizes of screen. Of course, this is non-standard and would only work on ADE readers (which are still the large majority of devices), but you can set the default rules to suit something like the iPad and then apply conditional rules to match ADE readers with smaller screens.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please, don't use Adobe's page-template. I delete that out of every ePub that has it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #101
GeoffC

obviously one-size does not fit all !!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #102
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Please, don't use Adobe's page-template. I delete that out of every ePub that has it.
Could you tell me why please?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #103
Chang
Connoisseur

Thank you all for good answers!

Quote:
I'm also interested what's your basis for this.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #104
charleski
Wizard

Well, a lot of publishers use the page-template badly, putting margins in it that should be specified in the css. In fact it seems a lot of them just paste in a single page-template file that they've found somewhere in the mistaken belief that it makes their output look more professional, but that's a symptom of the poor level of coding skills prevalent in the industry.

Used properly, the page-template extension offers a reasonable amount of extra functionality. It's non-standard, but we're already seeing people playing around with webkit-specific css3 elements to get nice effects on the iPad, so the epub standard is in danger of losing relevance.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #105
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
I'll invite you to take a look at my epub-formatted book. The 9th section called "Tarot" (adversary) is a collection of poetry. In particular, numbers 19, 20, 22 should prove good examples of a "best-fit" solution. Due to page-width, it's really a matter of doing some "padding-left" and "padding-right" work... coupled with some left, right, or center, alignment... Also, because you don't want stanzas breaking across pages (and when the user selects large size fonts, they will), I made sure to use ".dontbreak { page-break-inside: avoid ; }" in the CSS as well...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=815201
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote