Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #61
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
The only jail break I've got going is so I can use the collections manager - it gives me enough extra ability (I couldn't operate without the collections manager) that it's worth the occasional freezing. But in all the jailbreak threads, i've never seen anyone report this as an issue.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #62
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
"Jailbreaked." Shouldn't that have been "Jailbroken"? Bleeergh.

I get stupiderder by the day it seems
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #63
sevenkul
sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What I don't like about page turning is that it is not clear whether the page turned to previous or next page. I can't be careful all the time to tap correct zone. The page turns but on what direction?

When I lost the page, it gets a bit more difficult to find it by carefully moving forward and bacward. I remember the last sentence I read and this sentence was at the bottom of the page. However, when I was moving forward and bacward looking for this sentence at the end of the pages, the sentence change its place. Finally, at last, I find it in the middle of the screen. This occurs especially if there is a page break somewhere.

Moreover, I open top menu at the top and change remeining time display at the bottom unintentionally. It is hard to get used to. Besides, vertical scrolling is not supported, just left and right.
sevenkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #64
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You have jailbreaked and modded your Kindle, if I recall correctly. Therefore, you cannot immediately blame this problem on the device; my Kindle has never crashed and never needed to be restarted during normal use.
Jailbreaking will not cause crashes -- all it does is adds a digital signature and and modifies a couple of files not touched except at upgrade time.

I have had spontaneous reboots and have had it request reboots, mostly (as far as I can see from post facto log analysis) due to the thing running out of memory due to (I guess) kernel and cvm heap fragmentation over many weeks of use. While the kernel can move some memory around to ameliorate this, it can't solve it completely due to some regions having pointers into them that cannot be located and altered by the compactor, and cvm can't defragment its underlying C heap either (though the Java heap on top of it is, of course, routinely defragmented as part of garbage collection). Bah, when I started with Linux on an 8Mb 486 it never ran out of memory, while the Kindle has a whole 256Mb! (Of course, it had a hard disk and swap, neither of which the Kindle has to play with.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkul View Post
What I don't like about page turning is that it is not clear whether the page turned to previous or next page. I can't be careful all the time to tap correct zone. The page turns but on what direction?
The "page back" tap zone is very narrow. I don't think I've ever selected it accidentally, but I use my right hand to turn the page, so I have to make a deliberate effort to stretch and reach the page back zone if I do want to use it.

Are you turning the page with your left hand?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #66
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You have jailbreaked and modded your Kindle, if I recall correctly. Therefore, you cannot immediately blame this problem on the device; my Kindle has never crashed and never needed to be restarted during normal use.
JB really doesn't cause any problems - my K3 has been jailbroken and running various hacks for well over 2 years and has never had issues. So far no problems with the PW either. I do like however to reboot all my various toys every now and then.

Last edited by Yolina; 05-01-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #67
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I was already used to it being entirely touch screen because I'd used the kindle touch for about 2 months before I got the paperwhite. When I first got the touch I'd say it took me about a week to get used to not having buttons as I'd come from the kindle keyboard.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #68
sevenkul
sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "page back" tap zone is very narrow. I don't think I've ever selected it accidentally, but I use my right hand to turn the page, so I have to make a deliberate effort to stretch and reach the page back zone if I do want to use it.

Are you turning the page with your left hand?
Yes, the page back tap zone problem happens when I hold it with left hand alone. And the reading progress zone problem happens when I hold the device from the bottom with both hands with thums on. The second one is not much of a problem but first one makes me to baffle when the top menu is opened and my thumb doesn't reach out of the menu.
sevenkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #69
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I never used a touch screen till I got my Paperwhite. It took me a couple of days to get used to tapping and a couple of weeks to learn to tap properly and a little longer to learn what can screw up the tapping.

I had a Kindle Basic and switching back and forth between that and the Paperwhite was difficult. I would tap on the Basic and press on the edge of the bezel on the Paperwhite. Then I bought a used Kindle Keyboard and when I switch between it and my Paperwhite I don't have the trouble I do with the Kindle Basic and I think it's because the size and the weight of the Kindle Keyboard is so strikingly different than the Kindle Paperwhite. I was going to give the Keyboard to a friend but I'm keeping it and giving my friend the Kindle Basic.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #70
luxeluxe
luxeluxe began at the beginning.

Day 2. But i had only had my regular kindle for 7 months.
luxeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #71
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I got used to tapping on the kpw quickly. I still like the buttons on the k3 better. It's just more satisfying to me to click on a discrete button than to tap an indeterminate area on the screen.

The button has to feel good to click, though. K3 page buttons feel good to click. K4 (basic) buttons don't. The buttons on the kindle essentially devolved out of existence.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #72
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It didn't take me any time at all. But, I had Sonys long before I became a Kindle fan, and Sony began useing a touch screen, as well as front illumination, well before Amazon. However, I would like page turn buttons to minimize smudging the screen with the touch screen for easier navigation and other purposes.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote