Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Nook Glowlight: Have you experienced screen defects?
I have experienced no problems. The screen is perfect. 47 63.51%
I have experienced minor problems but it doesn't bother me. 8 10.81%
I have experienced significant and annoying problems but I can deal with it. 5 6.76%
I have experienced problems significant enough to regret my purchase. 14 18.92%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Nook Glowlight Poll: Have you experienced screen defects?

I am considering buying a Nook Glowlight. However, I am alarmed by the number of user reviews stating the screen develops faults significant enough to be annoying (i.e. hot spots and cracks) even though said users are careful with the screen.

My question is simply have you experienced any screen problems such as bright spots or lines resulting from no or only minor contact with the screen?

I would also appreciate if you could indicate in your posts how long you have had your device. Thanks up front.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I have had no problems.

I have had mine since xmas, about 4 months now.

I think one of the big safety factors for ANY ereader is a decent case / cover to help protect the screen.

That is until flex screens become more widely used, flex screens would help prevent stress cracks and such.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would never use an e-reader without a case. For me, that goes without saying.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Further to my "I have experienced significant and annoying problems but I can deal with it." vote:
My Nook Glowlight developed a hairline crack (maybe 3mm?) below the top surface of the screen. It was impossible to feel it and it was only visible with the frontlight on. The Nook was about 3 months old and had always been kept in a case.
Next time I was in the States I took it to a B&N store and they replaced it without question.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I got mine shortly after release (my wife bought me the upgrade).

I've had no problems with the screen or the glowlight at all. And I read a LOT. But I do keep it in its case and flip it closed most of the time when I'm not using it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Had mine since September. It's been in a case since I got it, and the screen is like the day I got it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
I'm not fond of mine. It seems a little faded (poor contrast) compared to my Simple Touch, which is very crisp with great contrast. After reading a half hour or so the text starts to get jagged (kind of looks like a page printed when the printer is running out of ink) and sometimes I have to reboot to fix it. It's very annoying. I have never had any of the "pinholes" of light some people reported, but I always keep it (and all my ereaders) in a case. I read more on my Nook HD or the Nook app on my ipad mini and the Glow isn't used very much.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
I'm not fond of mine. It seems a little faded (poor contrast) compared to my Simple Touch
It is, but I can only tell when I put them side by side. Even then, while reading a book, I don't notice, and having the light far outweighs this slight drop in contrast.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired

If you have had problems, small or large, I would appreciate details. If you had not have problems, I would also appreciate if you could mention how long you have had the device.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-19-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I have had my nook glo since the end of Nov. It was a refurb that i bought on cyber Monday. It looked like it was brand new. I haven't had any problems with it.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
I'm on my second unit. The first developed a pinpoint hole within weeks of buying. I returned it to B&N and they replaced with a refurb unit. The refurb unit may have been returned by prior user because of a screen problem, since it developed two small pinpoints almost immediately. Either I'm getting more tolerant, or these are in spots which don't bother me. Frankly, they're not any more distracting than fingerprints or lint pieces on any screen.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Mine only developed a problem after it was dropped.
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Just want to thank the OP and the posters for doing this. I'm weighing different eReaders and was just going to ask the same question as the OP
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
I got my Glowlight at Christmas, and the screen is still perfect so far. I keep it in one of the official cases, but other than that I can't say I've been super careful with it; it's been on several long-haul flights with me and gets bashed around in my handbag quite a bit.

A few weeks ago I had my first major scare with it: I was making my bed and shook out the duvet without realizing the Nook was lying on it. It did a graceful somersault into the air and landed with a crack on the hard wooden floor, face down with the cover open! I went to retrieve it in a panic, but happily it survived without a scratch, and the light still works perfectly.

So yeah, generally it's been a lot more robust than I expected.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I only got my Glow yesterday, it went straight in a case, I never use a reader naked. I have noticed this morning, three tiny pin holes in the light, nothing major that really affects reading but noticeable. I only have my light on a half brightness and that's when I spotted them. I got mine from John Lewis so it has a two year warrenty.

My question is does anyone have experience of these pin holes and do they get bigger, should I take it back for a replacement now or wait?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote