Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
...DRM...it is no different than a software license. If you ACTUALLY read the EULA for the software...
Where can I find the EULA for my ebooks?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #32
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Where can I find the EULA for my ebooks?
If you are getting your ebooks from Sony... http://ebookstore.sony.com/termsofservice.html

Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...06200&#content

Last edited by jmaejr; 02-09-2012 at 11:43 PM.
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #33
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I paid for the books, I will read them where I want.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I paid for the books, I will read them where I want.
Exactly.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I have plenty of software that doesn't say anything of the sort. So that is utter rubbish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
So you buy Adobe's Photoshop and nowhere in the EULA is says you can install it on every computer you own? I would venture a guess you never read the EULA and simply check the 'I agree' box and continue on your merry way...besides I didn't say ALL software...
I suspect Blue Tyson is referring to open source software. All the software on my home computers and my work computer is open source. The licence of every one of those programs allows me to install the software on as many computers as I wish. It even allows me to make copies and distribute them (under certain conditions, the conditions varying according to the licence).

An example that many users here will be familiar with is Calibre. It's released under the GNU General Public License, v3. The licence states that it is "designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies" of the software.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #36
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I suspect Blue Tyson is referring to open source software. All the software on my home computers and my work computer is open source. The licence of every one of those programs allows me to install the software on as many computers as I wish. It even allows me to make copies and distribute them (under certain conditions, the conditions varying according to the licence).
I don't think that it is limited to open source. I think that you can install the software for printers, scanners, various USB toys on multiple computers.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
"Unified ebook format" is a nice idea; it's not going to happen. I believe that ePub will eventually drive mobi out of the market--but PDF is here to stay. Some publications do well with reflowable formats (most novels, especially), but some really need fixed page layouts--children's books, art books, certain reference works. And PDF has a convenience far beyond its use for "books;" the ability to make consistently-printable business docs is going to keep it active.

We may see a new ebook format show up in the future, like HTML or RTF, that's easily editable to allow notes. That, too, has pros and cons; novelists won't have much use for it, but schools might, especially if edits & notes are somehow clearly marked.

The problems with DRM are different; those are likely to go away (or be diminished) as the "sell used MP3s" ruling ripples through other media arenas. DRM makes a stronger, not weaker, case for the ability to sell or trade used digital works--after all, if someone makes an app that removes a book from your Kindle library and transfers it to someone else's, that's just like handing off a paperback, right?

I think the EULAs won't hold up to the basic logic of first-sale rights, once there's an easy way to say "I no longer have it; now this other person does." And I suspect that both Amazon and the publishers will object to that, but counterpoints may include the fact that they work very hard to convince people that they're just "buying books" in different formats, not choosing between "buy this pbook" or "license the right to access this content in ebook form." Refusing to allow first-sale rights on ebooks may require them to relabel sales sites to make it clear that an ebook is not a "sale."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #38
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
"Unified ebook format" is a nice idea; it's not going to happen. I believe that ePub will eventually drive mobi out of the market--but PDF is here to stay. Some publications do well with reflowable formats (most novels, especially), but some really need fixed page layouts--children's books, art books, certain reference works. And PDF has a convenience far beyond its use for "books;" the ability to make consistently-printable business docs is going to keep it active.
I'm not sure that pdf is here to stay. Last year's report from O’Reilly:

They should have the numbers for 2011 soon, but if it follows the trend, pdf is going down.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
The problems with DRM are different; those are likely to go away (or be diminished) as the "sell used MP3s" ruling ripples through other media arenas.
The judge didn't rule that selling used MP3s is legal or illegal. His ruling denied Capitol Record's irreparable harm claim to immediately shutdown the site that is selling used MP3s before the site has its day in court.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post

They should have the numbers for 2011 soon, but if it follows the trend, pdf is going down.
PDF as a commercial ebook format for novels and linear nonfic is going down. (And it should; PDF sucks for novels.) PDF as a business document format and as an archive format, is not going anywhere--and that means ebook readers will still need to support it. As a magazine, journal and textbook format, it's still on top; it'll be a long time before publishers accept that the print version & the e-version can look *entirely different.* (Also, it means adding a lot to the layout time if they have to take the PDF-ready content and reformat it for *good* epub.)

If CBR ever figures out how to support searchable text (I can imagine some ways; having txt file or files & a load file to relate them to the pages), it may displace PDF as an image-based format, but unless that happens, PDF is going to remain the format of choice for commercial picture-text books, like children's books.

There's less and less need for "this is an ebook! It looks just like a paper book!" But there'll always be a need for "this shows up exactly like we planned it." And right now, PDF is the best widely-available format for that.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #41
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
PDF as a commercial ebook format for novels and linear nonfic is going down. (And it should; PDF sucks for novels.) PDF as a business document format and as an archive format, is not going anywhere--and that means ebook readers will still need to support it. As a magazine, journal and textbook format, it's still on top; it'll be a long time before publishers accept that the print version & the e-version can look *entirely different.* (Also, it means adding a lot to the layout time if they have to take the PDF-ready content and reformat it for *good* epub.)
O'Reilly doesn't print novels and nonfiction and pdf sales are still going down.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #42
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
O'Reilly doesn't print novels and nonfiction and pdf sales are still going down.
"Sales will be low" is not the same as "there's no need to support this filetype." The noncommercial uses for PDFs are huge (or at least, the use of unsellable PDFs), and the combination of that, and the few markets that won't work without them, will demand that devices support them unless something else with a fixed layout replaces PDF.

I don't think the future of ebooks is going to be "there's no way to read fixed-layout content," and right now, that format is PDF much more than cbr/cbz, which don't support search at all.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #43
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret that chart, but it looks like each category has its sales normalized to 100% over the last three years, and it's showing the relative changes per year within that category. If so, I'm not so sure how meaningful these numbers are, because O'Reilly's EPUB offerings were not very good even two years ago. I have an O'Reilly account, and know that once you purchase a copy, you get to download it in any format you want, as often as you want. I always download both PDF and EPUB copies (at no extra cost). They really improved their EPUB books about a year and a half ago, and I can easily see more people actually downloading them again after that. PDF's, on the other hand, have been stable for a long time, and there's no reason to get another copy if you downloaded one already three years ago. So, there is probably a mix of market and technical influences in that plot.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That makes sence. PDF was mean as a format for printing, and to send documents, NOT as an e-book format.

Let pdf do what it's good at, ePub and mobi do what they're good at.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That makes sence. PDf was mean as a format for printing, and send documents, NOT as an books format.

Let pdf do what it's good at, ePub and mobi do what they're good at.
Precisely. PDF is superb at the job it was created to do - to be an electronic reproduction of a printed page. It was never intended for use an an eBook format for hand-held devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote