Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #46
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
@tao: of course mmmm...now an NC sounds tempting but i don't need more gadgets for now >: ) meh, an iPad is too expensive for me : (
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #47
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Don't forget Amazon's rumored tablet should be announced around the same time DC re-launches Maybe it will be in your price range!

I'm compulsively clicking DC's blog, looks like they're announcing new titles every other day.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #48
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaza View Post
Don't forget Amazon's rumored tablet should be announced around the same time DC re-launches Maybe it will be in your price range!

I'm compulsively clicking DC's blog, looks like they're announcing new titles every other day.
i would prefer for them to stick to the reading business. it would be nice if they centered their "tablet" on something about reading...but then they already have the kindle xP
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #49
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Well, I'm in the market for a tablet too, but I'd like an Android device so I have my toes crossed that the Amazon one will be the right fit for me and all my new DC Comics :P
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #50
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Several such things A decent LCD monitor + CDisplayEx can deliver your comics larger than life and popping with color
With the added bonus of letting you display thumbnails for epubs in Windows Explorer:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #51
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
With the added bonus of letting you display thumbnails for epubs in Windows Explorer:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505

I get the gist of what he's trying to do there, and have in fact edited the registry before, but that thread is not remotely translating into specific steps I would take to accomplish what he's describing.

In any case, I am running 64-bit Windows 7, and CDisplayEx is not giving me thumbnails for cbr/cbz, so I'm guessing it wouldn't work if it were comprehensible.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #52
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I get the gist of what he's trying to do there, and have in fact edited the registry before, but that thread is not remotely translating into specific steps I would take to accomplish what he's describing.
It is very simple. Step 1-- install the program. Step 2-- copy the blocks of text into a plain text file, name the file thumbs.reg (or anything with the .reg extension.) Step 3-- double-click on the newly created registry file.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #53
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
It is very simple. Step 1-- install the program. Step 2-- copy the blocks of text into a plain text file, name the file thumbs.reg (or anything with the .reg extension.) Step 3-- double-click on the newly created registry file.
Heh, that word "text" makes a world of difference. I take it we can ignore the bit about "and using the included batchfile," then?

At any rate, CDisplayEx doesn't produce thumbs for my system in the first place, either because it's Windows 7 or because it's 64 bit--scruffy does not appear to realize there's a difference :/

Still, a nice tip for legacy and/or 32 bit Windows systems.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #54
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Still, a nice tip for legacy and/or 32 bit Windows systems.
A screenshot of what a folder of my ebooks looks like in thumbnail view in Windows Explorer, with the registry entries installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epubthumbs.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	72472  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #55
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I had a look at one of the free ones. Why would anyone pay for such a poor product?
nostalgia?

I don't care for the regular serialization, but some artists took some very personal takes on a few comics characters that are well worth checking out, like Frank Miller with Daredevil, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing etc.

Or created something new and unique, in which superheroes are just a device to tell a story, which is itself just a device for a narrative medium unlike any other. I'd recommend the 12-issues series Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

That said, such digital reading of an illustration media only for tablets no doubt. Though I guess comic strips run just fine in smartphones...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #56
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
neat! i may just buy for the gay characters
Buy it because it's a *GOOD* series. Take the diversity and positive gay role model as a added bonus.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #57
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
nostalgia?

I don't care for the regular serialization, but some artists took some very personal takes on a few comics characters that are well worth checking out, like Frank Miller with Daredevil, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing etc.

Or created something new and unique, in which superheroes are just a device to tell a story, which is itself just a device for a narrative medium unlike any other. I'd recommend the 12-issues series Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

That said, such digital reading of an illustration media only for tablets no doubt. Though I guess comic strips run just fine in smartphones...
To piggyback on this, other collections to recommend:

- Green Lantern: Rebirth
- Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War
- Any Flash trade paperback that collects stories written by either Mark Waid or Geoff Johns
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote