Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #61
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I started off by wanting to put all my books on my Kindle, but it didn't seem that the device worked as well when it was fully loaded with "stuff".

Now, I have more books than could fit in Kindle memory anyway so it's become a bit moot.

Now I just load the next few books on and a bunch of indie samples and short stories if I want a break from my current novel. I don't usually have the problem of not knowing what I'm going to read next as I always have my reads planned. I don't always stick 100% to the same order or books on all occasions, but I can't remember being stuck. Even so, I have my Amazon cloud library, my offsite storage and my Android phone works as a wifi hotspot. There wouldn't be too many occasions where I'm left in the lurch.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You know what CDO is, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
OCD? Oh yes, I know.
Yes, CDO is OCD, but with the letters properly arranged in the correct alphabetical order.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #63
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Yes, CDO is OCD, but with the letters properly arranged in the correct alphabetical order.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #64
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
LOL. I should have known that wasn't a typo.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #65
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I keep almost all of my books on my reader, mostly because I re-read my books and I don't always know what I'm going to be in the mood for so I like to have as much variety as possible to choose from.

I also admit to being a bit of a hoarder with my ebooks. I just like knowing they are always with me
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #66
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
"His office in his hat; His home in his car."
Mike Shayne in the movie The Man Who Wouldn't Die

I keep all my ebooks on my 4 year old reader (liseuse). Aound 1500 or so. Runs OpenInkPot, no problem with volume.

I also keep them on a backup micro sd in my car, along with a copy of my music library. Total of 4 chips in a credit card sized holder, plus a Sansa player. If I'm suddenly on the lam, I'm still covered...(Cue Al Stewart's Running Man.)

Why not, flash is cheap....

(and yes, I have other backups, on and off site...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Yeah, but when you sleep are you a multi-napper or a long-snoozer?
Both. I start off with a short armchair nap and then retire to the bedroom for the medium-long(-ish) snooze.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #68
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You don't "shuffle-read" books, changing it every 5 minutes, or even every 75 minutes.
I beg your pardon...

I'm currently reading six books, pretty much simultaneously. Ok, not changing every 5 minutes, but at least every few hours. Doesn't everybody???
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #69
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
I keep almost all of my books on my reader, mostly because I re-read my books and I don't always know what I'm going to be in the mood for so I like to have as much variety as possible to choose from.

I also admit to being a bit of a hoarder with my ebooks. I just like knowing they are always with me
This, exactly.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #70
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I beg your pardon...

I'm currently reading six books, pretty much simultaneously. Ok, not changing every 5 minutes, but at least every few hours. Doesn't everybody???
I think you might need some help. This could get dangerous...

There you go. Just report to your nearest doctor.

You're welcome

LOL, no... I sometimes read two books at once (one in a series, one separate), but never three or more.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #71
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
I beg your pardon...

You must be deadly with the remote!!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #72
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
I keep all mine on my Kobo(s) (2000+ books). If I suddenly get the mood to read something, or I just need to look something up in one of my books, I have them there. I have the storage, why not use it?
Plus I don't use anyone's "ecosystem", so all my books are always offline anyway.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #73
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I beg your pardon...

I only read one book at a time. I think I finish them faster that way than if I read multiple books and I would have too many things to keep track of otherwise. Kudos to you though if you can do that!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #74
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Library Petting: to love, or gaze lovingly at; to virtually "stroke" the spines of all your ebooks with near reverence; to lose oneself in the vast array of artwork; to become consumed with the organization and general curation of your collection; to "wander" the virtual stacks while trailing your hand along the virtual shelves.

I'm only saying that's what I would wind up doing instead of actually reading books (which is the purpose for which I purchased the device). "Look at my library!! IS IT NOT GLORIOUS?!"
I used to do this, and then a few T1 crashes broke me of this on-device. Now, I save that devotion for organizing in Calibre. I'm pretty pleased with myself when everything is nicely tagged, and now the Grid View makes it easy to see if I'm missing the real cover, rather than the nasty fake covers the lazy Big 6 Big 5 use. Now if Dropbox could put a prettier face on the Calibre backend, where I download most of my books as I want, I'd probably be back to Library Petting™ via the cloud.

Quote:
I'm with you - I generally have 3-5 books going, usually different genres on different devices. Maybe the PW2 will convert me to Amazon's Wonderful Whispersync™ and I won't end up doing that so much, but we'll see.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #75
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I am very possibly representative of a minority viewpoint on this forum, but I am puzzled by other folks' desire to store thousands of ebooks on their ereaders. I am building my collection and add all my purchases to Calibre, which I backup regularly. But I only keep my to be read books on my ereader, and as I currently have 40 titles on that shelf, I reckon that will keep me in reading material for at least a month.

I am wondering if I am a slow reader, or if other folks have a higher 'must store' threshold than mine?

[image by Abhi Sharma / flickr]
I don't know that you are a minority, certainly the major reading apps don't seem to think that people keep more than a hand full of books on their device, otherwise someone would have come out with a meaningful way to organize one's collection. That is the number one wish list item for me, Calibre for my iPad.

I keep all my books on the device because I never really know what I'm going to be in the mood to read. I like to re-read books, some people don't.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote