Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
"Kindle Pen" Coming Soon to New, Larger Fire?

Amazon Patents Intelligent Pen

It will be interesting to see what surfaces.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Amazon Patents Intelligent Pen

It will be interesting to see what surfaces.
Well, it's about time. I just got the Boxwave stylus and love it. I don't use it all the time, but it really comes in handy on tight situations on the KF.

Boxwave stylus
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Tablets definitely need better navigation and entry capabilities. I'm not sure what would improve them to point of greatness, but they are currently a PITA to navigate and enter information. All tablets are this way, not just the KF. I think at the very least they need more buttons and a much better thought out touch interface. I'm not too keen on using pens or any other add-on devices because they are just more baggage to keep up with and something else to lose.

My Android phone has the 4 standard buttons across the bottom and volume buttons, just adding those makes it ten times easier to use than a KF, iPad, or any other button starved tablet.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Whatever Amazon develops, I bet it will be more than just another vanilla stylus.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Tablets definitely need better navigation and entry capabilities. I'm not sure what would improve them to point of greatness, but they are currently a PITA to navigate and enter information. All tablets are this way, not just the KF. I think at the very least they need more buttons and a much better thought out touch interface. I'm not too keen on using pens or any other add-on devices because they are just more baggage to keep up with and something else to lose.

I don't fully agree here.

The size of the KF (what is making it so great for mobile reading) makes it hard to enter information, e.g. when browsing webpages. I have no issues at all using my iPad to hit buttons or enter text, but on the KF it is very often a gme of luck (at least for me).

So yes, IMO doubling the screen size would help to make it more usable for web browsing (but make it less usable for reading on the go IMO).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
thetaoofrecovery
thetaoofrecovery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
The inability to input information quickly and efficiently is the major drawback of all tablets IMO. I type 90 wpm but am relegated to hunting and pecking...
thetaoofrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaoofrecovery View Post
The inability to input information quickly and efficiently is the major drawback of all tablets IMO. I type 90 wpm but am relegated to hunting and pecking...
That might change!

Like you, I learned to type at school a long time ago (even though I might not be able to type 90 WPM) and I am also relegated to "hunting and pecking".

Imagine my amazement when I saw a young woman on a train writing emails on her iPhone with her two thumbs only at a speed that seemed impossible to me on my iPad. I guess a new generation might be able to do it ;-)

My sister is also able to text on her Nokia mobile at breakneck speed with her right hand while simultaneously negotiating city traffic with her left (at not much less speed).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Like you, I learned to type at school a long time ago (even though I might not be able to type 90 WPM) and I am also relegated to "hunting and pecking".

Imagine my amazement when I saw a young woman on a train writing emails on her iPhone with her two thumbs only at a speed that seemed impossible to me on my iPad. I guess a new generation might be able to do it ;-)
With some of the predictive dictionaries and such, typing emails and longer texts on a touch screen has become a lot easier. I use SwiftKey X and I've been able to peck out much longer messages in a fraction of the time. I imagine that if I used Swype and actually mastered it...that would be some scary screen-typing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Sadly the Fire's built in keyboard and inability to turn off autocorrect makes ity impossible to type a sentence without errors and rework needed.

So on Swiftkey X how does that work? It auto replaces the built in keyboard or you have to load it each time? is it like Go Launcher and you can pick between the built in keyboard and the Swift one? Looks so much better since it has spaces in between the keys like on the Kindle touch. the fire is cramped and leads to errors
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote