Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #28141
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
The info you found on naming was true for earlier versions of Android. Since the last android update my extSD is called 0000-0000
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #28142
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I wanted to try out VLC mediaplayer on my tablet. I have various media on the external SD card and in VLC you have to enter the path to external cards manually. After Googling I found the path and that most cards are called a variation of SD Card or External Storage. I couldn't get it right, so I downloaded an app to find out the path and found out my Galaxy Tab calls the external SD card "0123-4567". That just isn't logical.
Isn't it in also in "/mnt/sdcard/" ?

Most older Android devices came with an SD-card by default because of limited storage (in the time a phone only had 256 MB for apps), and the mount point normally was "/mnt/sdcard". To maintain compatibility with older applications, newer Android versions should still provide this mount point (even if there isn't an SD-card, in which it points to internal storage), but it could be that Samsung dropped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
The info you found on naming was true for earlier versions of Android. Since the last android update my extSD is called 0000-0000
So it is actually the official builds of stock Android that is are dropping "/mnt/sdcard" ? Sounds like they are now completely phasing out SD-cards then.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-21-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #28143
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Isn't it in also in "/mnt/sdcard/" ?

Most older Android devices came with an SD-card by default because of limited storage (in the time a phone only had 256 MB for apps), and the mount point normally was "/mnt/sdcard". To maintain compatibility with older applications, newer Android versions should still provide this mount point (even if there isn't an SD-card, in which it points to internal storage), but it could be that Samsung dropped it.
I doubt it. SDcard on Android is an internal card carved out of device flash that appears and gets mounted as a drive. External cards are also mounted as drives, but paths may differ,

Quote:
So it is actually the official builds of stock Android that is are dropping "/mnt/sdcard" ? Sounds like they are now completely phasing out SD-cards then.
I don't believe so, and see no reason they would need to.

My suspicion is that Rumpelteazer has videos she wants to watch with VLC on an external card. That's no surprise, as the internal SD card carved out of flash won't be all that large. (On my current tablet, it's 2GB. On the older model from the same vendor it replaced, it was 1GB. Video would use either up in a heartbeat.)

Here, the external card mounts as /mnt/extsd, and videos are in /mnt/extsd/Videos. VLC could play them fine once I had the location plugged into its configuration.
______'
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:08 AM   #28144
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Yes, I was messing around with VLC player. I normally use MX Player, but it looks like they removed some audio codecs due to licencing issues. A while back I had recorded a bunch of documentaries and converted them so I could view them on my tablet. In MX I didn't get any sound, reconverting them on my laptop isn't an option (too slow) so I downloaded VLC.

I must say I prefer MX Player over VLC, it has more options and features.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #28145
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I doubt it. SDcard on Android is an internal card carved out of device flash that appears and gets mounted as a drive. External cards are also mounted as drives, but paths may differ,

I don't believe so, and see no reason they would need to.

My suspicion is that Rumpelteazer has videos she wants to watch with VLC on an external card. That's no surprise, as the internal SD card carved out of flash won't be all that large. (On my current tablet, it's 2GB. On the older model from the same vendor it replaced, it was 1GB. Video would use either up in a heartbeat.)

Here, the external card mounts as /mnt/extsd, and videos are in /mnt/extsd/Videos. VLC could play them fine once I had the location plugged into its configuration.
______'
Dennis
That was the point: most older phones only 256 MB of flash or so, and thus they also had an SD-card, mounted under "/mnt/sdcard". Newer phones have much bigger flash available, and "mnt/sdcard" now just points to that flash storage, just to have the mount available to maintain compatibility. At least on my Android phone, there is no separate memory for this mount.
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #28146
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
That was the point: most older phones only 256 MB of flash or so, and thus they also had an SD-card, mounted under "/mnt/sdcard". Newer phones have much bigger flash available, and "mnt/sdcard" now just points to that flash storage, just to have the mount available to maintain compatibility. At least on my Android phone, there is no separate memory for this mount.
I think we're talking past each other. How many of those old phones with 256MB flash had a slot for an external card? SDcard was still carved out of device flash, but even more minimal. I do not believe that has changed in newer devices. Changes have more to do with how much flash is installed.

On my tablets. the use for the sdcard area was storage of data, and as a place where some apps could be partially installed. Whether they could be installed that way depended on the way the app was built, and not all could.

My original tablet had 4MB flash, of which 787MB was app storage where apps got installed, and 1GB was sdcard, where some apps could be partially moved. That got exhausted very quickly just adding the desired Google apps.

The solution involved rooting the tablet, and the use of the external microSD card. MicroSD cards come formatted as FAT32, but apps can't be installed on and run from it because FAT32 has no place to store the metadata Linux needs for running apps. I put the card in an adapter and repartitioned it from my desktop to carve out a 2GB slice formatted as Linux ext4, then reinserted it in the tablet and rebooted. Linux saw it had another filesystem and mounted it. From there, I could use a freeware app called Link2SD. Link2SD let me install an app from the Play Store, then moveit from the default location to the external card, and place a symlink in the root filesystem pointing to it. Creating that symlink in the root filesystem required a rooted device, so the technique won't work if you aren't rooted.

It worked fine, and I then had 2 3/4+ GB of app storage, and could install what I wanted.

The current tablet has 8GB flash, with 2GB for app storage and 2GB allocated as sdcard, so I haven't had to do that yet (though the device is rooted for other reasons.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #28147
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Why is everyone cranky today? Is it National Cranky Day? My sister, my mom, the hospital, Maisy, Hubby.... me.

Mom calls me very early this morning upset that she can't get in touch with my sister. My sister left the hospital yesterday morning to go home and get some sleep. Mom doesn't like to be by herself so she has been very difficult to the nurses. They got the hospital social worker involved who keeps calling.

My sister is playing games. She lied to me twice. She told me she talked to my mom yesterday. So when mom called me crying about not being able to reach Sis. I thought she was loopy from the meds and spent five minutes trying to make her remember the phone call. Mom swore she never heard from my sister and now I feel bad for believing my sister and not my mom.

Now my sister is at her doctor's appointment way up in downtown St Louis. The social worker sounds frazzled. They plan to put mom in rehabilitation because she refuses to even try to lift herself. Mom is becoming aggressive due to that.

I told them something is wrong. I tried talking to mom like they asked she is not listening. I and hubby think it's because her sugar is probably out of wack or because they have her on something that is causing a side effect of odd behavior. She is difficult but never this bad. My sister isn't helping by staying away and not getting a doctor to exam the behavior. She is the caretaker she has the say-so not me.

I could go down there if I had a way. Hubby's working. No one else in the family cares.

On top of that Maisy has been very cranky today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #28148
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Here are some more hugs.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #28149
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like my friends' dryer isn't working, I suspected as much when I saw the small drying rack in the yard. Which mean I'll have to wash smaller loads and wash more often. I could ask my father to drop off my own, bigger, drying rack, but it'll take up most of the space in the yard.

I'm amazed at how often they have to replace big appliances. They've lived in this house for about six or seven years. This is their second dryer (they got a new one when they moved in), their second washing machine (they brought their "old" one with them from their old apartment) and just over a year ago they had to replace the dishwasher.

This dryer isn't even 3 years old! In 2013 I bought my big drying rack because their dryer didn't work and they bought a new one in the autumn when it started getting cold.

We recently replaced our dryer, this is our third dryer in 36 years. My parents are now on their 3rd washing machine, in about 40 years. Our previous dishwasher didn't last very long, only 6 years, but we suspect that it might have been damaged by the smoke from the fire next door. The dishwasher before that lasted over 10 years.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #28150
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
We had to replace our dryer in January. I wanted to cry. The grown children were not surprised. It was 40 years old.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #28151
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Our dryer is overheating and needs to be worked on. Unfortunately it's in the garage and the garage is like a sauna thanks to the heat wave currently enveloping the U.S.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #28152
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Maybe that's why it's overheating? It's too hot in the garage? My mother in law has hers there too. It's gets unbearable in the summer.

Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #28153
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
It looks like my friends' dryer isn't working...

I'm amazed at how often they have to replace big appliances...

We recently replaced our dryer, this is our third dryer in 36 years...
Maybe you don't buy crap, and they do? There are dryers and washing machines on offer here in the Netherlands that cost under €200. Cost savings have to come from somewhere.

I ranted about this before, but.... My father is still jacking around with that hot water geyser that was already installed in his house when he bought it.

"I don't understand why it doesn't work."
"I don't understand why it just shuts off."
"Why don't I have any hot water? I don't understand."

Maybe it's because this thing has been hanging around in there since before 1969. The damn thing is at least 47 years old with basically no maintenance.

He just keeps complaining and not doing anything about it 'because it's so expensive'. With his savings, he can replace that geyser with something more modern thrice over and STILL not notice the expense. I wonder why so many old people become frugal to the point of being miserly, even if a heap of money is staring them right in the face. (My father has a very nice pension; one I can probably only dream about in another 30-35 years.)

"I have to save that for later."

Dad. You're 76. There is no "later". At that age, "later" very possibly means the same thing as "dead", and then, all the money in the world will be of no help. It's better to have hot water *now*.

As Hrothgar in the Icewind Dale game said: "Around here, it's better to be short of coin instead of short of equipment." (Or something to that extent.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-26-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #28154
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Maybe that's why it's overheating? It's too hot in the garage? My mother in law has hers there too. It's gets unbearable in the summer.

I doubt it. It started one evening when we noticed the entire dryer surface was hot to the touch. At that time it hadn't been in use for hours. I unplugged it. The washer next to it felt normal.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #28155
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe you don't buy crap, and they do? There are dryers and washing machines on offer here in the Netherlands that cost under €200. Cost savings have to come from somewhere.
No, that isn't it. They buy the most expensive appliances of the best brands. Whether they need/use all the features or not. My mother always researches the options whenever she needs a new appliance, decides what her budget is and which features she needs and which she would like. She reads tons of reviews before deciding.

With my friends it's a simple matter of not taking care of things. Not cleaning filters, running the cleaning/maintenance program regularly, etc. Last week I took out the compartment of the washing machine in which you put the detergent. It was just caked in muck. It took me most of the day, a lot of hot water and a turn in the dishwasher to get it reasonably clean. It's the same with smaller appliances btw.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness