Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting sarcasm
I was merely pointing out that these devices are fragile and not to be treated like paper books. Like for instance some people have no qualms putting their reader in their bag where a lot of pointy or hard cornered items will press against its screen or frame and potentially damage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
In deed. I put the spekers for my stereo on either side of the microwave and played Metallica's black album at full volume, put my Kobo in the microwave and turned it on.

Sure enough, with a puff of green smoke the microwave stopped working and the Metallica was replaced with Perry Como.

Now how am I going to rock out while I eat my popcorn???
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I beg to disagree, electromagnetic waves are no myth, they are a scientific reality. If you don't believe me, put your reader in the microwave oven for a couple minutes, then enjoy reading on it ...
No one said they were. The myth is that having the device near (not IN) a microwave, or near speakers can cause the problems mentioned by the OP.

I think it started when early computers sometimes crashed when refrigerators or microwaves turned on and off as they do, but this was caused by a power surge/noise spike via the power lines. Handheld/battery devices are much harder to upset as they aren't connected to the power, and besides, cheap filters are available to solve that early problem, and computers are better designed to cope with noise on the power.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Sure enough, with a puff of green smoke the microwave stopped working and the Metallica was replaced with Perry Como.

Now how am I going to rock out while I eat my popcorn???

I'll lend you my copy of this year's Eurovision cd set ... with Englebert Humperdinck. that'll get you rocking out again in no time.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
More likely the cause for my kobo problems than mysterious waves may be that I manually edited the sqlite database to keep my bookmarks/reading progress after the last factory reset.

I have now performed a factory reset, updated to 2.1.5, and everything if working fine (for now).
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I did nothing weird with my KT before the problems, just put it in my purse
After the factory reset everything is fine for now...
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I was merely pointing out that these devices are fragile and not to be treated like paper books.
I agree. The microwave and speakers are quite fragile and I am very careful wth them; moreso than I am with paper books which I use for all kinds of purposes like leveling wobbly furniture. I much prefer my more durable appliances.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote