Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 12:14 AM   #826
Xibolete
Xibolete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G + WiFi (U.S.) 8th Gen - G0B0GD
Unhappy Oasis 8th Gen

The steps below do not happen:

Quote:
17. In a few seconds, you should be in a language selection menu
18. Choose Chinese (简体中文) (the one above the Pseudot language)
Kindle simply restarts in English, ignoring the language selection. It seems that the script is not executed.

When trying to install Update_hotfix_languagebreak-en-US.bin, an error message appears, stating that the update was not possible.

I read the entire forum, followed several of the suggestions and none of them were successful, and in all attempts I performed the factory reset with the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file.

I've tried reinstalling the Kindle Oasis firmware 5.16.2.1.1, resetting and reinstalling again as suggested at https://github.com/notmarek/LanguageBreak/issues/34 but the same workflow occurs.

I tell you that I have done the installation more than 10 times, I have memorized all the steps, I have watched the tutorial
paying attention to all the steps and I have only been frustrated.

Can anyone tell me anything new?
Xibolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:44 AM   #827
kbs24
kbs24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4, PW3, PW2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Have you checked the connector itself for bent pins or broken connections to the board? Have you confirmed your cables work for data transfer with another device, for example your cell phone? If you have multiple USB ports on your PCs have you tried all of them?

Beyond that if you have USBNET installed with WiFi connection enabled you should be able to transfer via SSH. As a last resort you can email them via Amazon.

Dave
Yes, tried all in your first paragraph above. I have heard of USBNET but have no idea how/where to install it. I'm running windows 10. Can you direct me to download location and instructions? (By any chance is this something that would run with kindle search bar commands? They all seem to end with SSH...) Many thanks for your help!
EDIT: Since the jailbreak did not work for me, I think I cannot us USBNET, correct me if I am wrong....

Last edited by kbs24; 04-17-2024 at 12:09 PM. Reason: did some research
kbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:15 AM   #828
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24 View Post
Yes, tried all in your first paragraph above. I have heard of USBNET but have no idea how/where to install it. I'm running windows 10. Can you direct me to download location and instructions? (By any chance is this something that would run with kindle search bar commands? They all seem to end with SSH...) Many thanks for your help!
The USB Network package is available for your Kindle in the snapshots sticky thread at the top of the forum. There are multiple versions, so be sure to get the proper one.

Given your lack of USB connectivity I am at a loss as to how you can install it.

Given you appear to have addressed all the physical possibilities of connectivity problems leaves only software issues.

I seem to recall something about a "managed mode" in posts related to this JB, which leads me to wonder if that is the issue. I am unfamiliar with this, so perhaps someone with knowledge of this can address the problem and its solution.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:08 AM   #829
kindlenjoyer
kindlenjoyer began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xibolete View Post
The steps below do not happen:

Kindle simply restarts in English, ignoring the language selection. It seems that the script is not executed.

I have the exact same Kindle model as yours and the exact same problem as you

I have to say though, this is excellent work. I really appreciate the work you've put into this Marek
kindlenjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:25 PM   #830
kindlenjoyer

Also trying out the OneClick version, I fail at step #5 of the jailbreak guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlenjoyer View Post
I have the exact same Kindle model as yours and the exact same problem as you
Could the cellular connection of the device be causing some issue (as they're both 3G models)? Maybe attempting the jailbreak in a room with no 3G connectivity for the kindle will help. I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:33 PM   #831
kindlenjoyer

Post Kindle Oasis KOA (G0B0GU) jailbreak attempt fails at step 17

Quote:
I'll give it a try and report back.
So I did try it but it didn't help unfortunately.

To reiterate my progress attempting the jailbreak:
I have a KOA, specifically a Kindle Oasis 3G + WiFi 8th Gen (G0B0GU) running on 5.16.2.1.1. I've followed this guide closely in multiple tries but I always fail at step 17. The device instead of booting into the language select screen just reboots back in English. Attempting to apply the hotfix after that ends up in 'Update failed' error.

I've read most of this thread, plus the github issues (there's an open thread there about the same issue) and tried most things I came across. Like I mentioned above, I run through the steps again in a basement with no signal connectivity, in case it helped. Also tried factory resetting the device back to German since that's where the device was bought from. But I just can't get to the language select screen, the files copy over fine both times, but the device just restarts to the language it was set to.

I'm out of ideas for now, maybe my specific model doesn't play well with LanguageBreak. I'll be definitely be keeping an eye for updates though.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:52 PM   #832
kindlenjoyer

Talking Kindle Oasis KOA (G0B0GU) jailbreak success!

Quote:
To reiterate my progress attempting the jailbreak:
I have a KOA, specifically a Kindle Oasis 3G + WiFi 8th Gen (G0B0GU) running on 5.16.2.1.1. I've followed this guide ...
Success! After fiddling around with my kindle a bit more I managed to finally jailbreak it and install KOReader.

I'm posting the different steps I took from the guide from anyone else encountering the same issue. Note that I'm not sure if they're all necessary, but I'm not going to try the procedure all over again.

So:

1) Before starting the procedure, I factory reset the device
2) Then I reinstalled the 5.16.2.1.1 image
3) Then started the procedure normally
4) At step 10 I copied all the contents of the LanguageBreak folder except the .demo folder. I used the 1.0.2 release (though again, I doubt this makes a difference)
5) For step 15 I did the same as above, skipping the .demo folder
6) After copying the files in step 15, I ejected the device from my pc but didn't unplug the cable. Let it sit like that for a couple of minutes. Then finally unplugged the usb cable from the pc and turned on the device (step 16).

And I was finally at the language select screen! I selected Chinese (though the Pseudot option was missing). Then the device tried to connect to wifi. Curiously the UI remained in English instead of switching to Chinese. Because of the 3G connectivity it then wanted to connect to an Amazon account. The only way to get past that screen, from experience in my previous attempts, is to either:
1) Go somewhere with no signal, click sign up with amazon account and after it doesn't find any signal select set up later, OR
2) Restart the device

After getting tired of waiting for the signal search to time out, I just restarted the device. Booted into English non demo mode. First I installed Marek's hotfix from the latest version (1.0.2.1), then installed NiLuJe's hotfix, after that KUAL/MRPI (following this guide) and finally KOReader.

And now the fun begins!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-04-20-00-53-53-789.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	693.5 KB
ID:	207726   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-04-20-02-49-39-181.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	207727  
Old 04-20-2024, 03:53 PM   #833
red.desk6410
red.desk6410 began at the beginning.

Device: Scribe
I just got a Kindle Scribe and it came with 5.16.2 and it's not registered yet.

I tried the JB a few times but I was copying the LanguageBreak directory itself into the root filesystem so no wonder it didn't work after 4 or 5 attempts. I finally realized my error and copied the contents of the directory to the root filesystem and I did get the logs showing on the screen but I had issues with the `Update_hotfix_languagebreak-en-US.bin`.

I read a post that someone had better luck with 5.16.2.0.1 so I managed to update my scribe to that but I have not had any success yet. Here are my steps:

1. Factory reset to start from the beginning via: `touch /mnt/DO_FACTORY_RESTORE` and restart the kindle. It appears to factory reset.
2. Recopy the `update_kindle_scribe_5.16.2.0.1.bin` to the kindle root and restart.
3. I then select english, US then connect to my own hotspot that you need to login, it has internet access but I quickly disable the hotspot so it can't do anything.
4. From the search bar I do `;enter_demo` then restart and I get the wallpaper then I get to the demo menu and sideload the contents of LanguageBreak to root including the .demo dir. Then I go into resell and do the same mounting and unmount - I tried both coping the .demo and not copying the .demo dir over but both to no avail.
5. Upon restart I don't see any more logs and I get the language menu and choose chinese and after restarts I still don't see the logs. Is this because I already saw the logs once and that part has already been done even after factory reset / re-updating the firmware?
6. I then proceed to copy `Update_hotfix_languagebreak-en-US.bin` to the root and do `;dsts` then enter Device -> something -> Update Kindle and select yes and upon reboot I just keep getting update failed in chinese.

I have yet to ever see the mkk directory in my root so I suspect something is in a bad state somewhere and at this point I feel as though this is quite hopeless. I guess my questions for this thread are what I might try either to start from scratch in the event I'm not factory resetting properly or what I might try to finish the JB? I guess failing this, there might be enough telemetry on my device that might prevent me from returning it? FWIW I've jailbroken all of my previous kindles (not on LanguageBreak) just for some reason this one is giving me a really hard time.

Thanks!
red.desk6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:32 PM   #834
red.desk6410

I tried again by reinstalling firmware 5.16.2.0.1.bin twice and factory resetting twice. I got through step 16 but upon reboot I did not see any logs on the screen and did not get a language selection menu, I just got dropped back into "Set up your Kindle" (basically where you start out at).
Old 04-21-2024, 01:19 AM   #835
red.desk6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.desk6410 View Post
I tried again by reinstalling firmware 5.16.2.0.1.bin twice and factory resetting twice. I got through step 16 but upon reboot I did not see any logs on the screen and did not get a language selection menu, I just got dropped back into "Set up your Kindle" (basically where you start out at).
On what might have been my 18th try, I finally got it:

I factory reset then flashed 5.16.2.0.1.bin twice. Then followed all instructions except for when I pushed LanguageBreak files in each step, I didn't use my bash script `mount /dev/sda /mnt && cp -rv ./LaguageBreak/. /mnt/ && umount /mnt && sync && eject /dev/sda` - maybe it was too fast? No idea. I also copied the LanguageBreak directory itself to /mnt/. The instructions don't seem to specify this but maybe it brought me luck because I finally got the text log on the screen after the resell reboot.

Curiously though I think I either didn't get the language menu selection or when I selected Chinese it still rebooted into English. I ended up continuing anyway and was happy to see that the update of the Language file finally worked (in English nonetheless as well). I'm now rebooted and verified I have the mkk directory in root. Will continue on to get koreader. I should also mention that I got a core dump at some point too.

Hope this helps anyone else having issues with their Kindle Scribe.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:51 PM   #836
Xibolete

Quote:
Success! After fiddling around with my kindle a bit more I managed to finally jailbreak it and install KOReader.
Nice! Thanks for share. I will try again as so as possible.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:10 PM   #837
Xibolete

Unhappy Wifi problems

Quote:
Nice! IT WORKED!!!

But I can't connect to the Wifi. I'm having the same problem https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9977

Does anyone know a possible solution?

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak