Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
alexishinds
alexishinds began at the beginning.

Solution to RTF Problem (Mac)

Hello,

I saw some threads here about problems people were having with some RTF files and I experienced the same thing last night when working with some of my files.

What I discovered, however, was this: initially I was working with the files in Word, and when transferred they didn't work. So on a hunch I opened the file in TextEdit (on the Mac), made a change, and saved it. The file shrunk from 12MB to 2MB and looked identical. After transferring over the the Reader it opened up and looked great!

I didn't try WordPad but it may be an option for Windows users...

--Alexis
alexishinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nice! I'll have to try the Wordpad and see if it gives similar size reduction.

Thanks!

Edit: It looks like running the file through word pad does save some space (file went from 2.6 to 2.4MB)

Last edited by NatCh; 10-06-2006 at 12:47 PM. Reason: addition
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Something related to styles, probably.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm curious if this tip also fixes text documents that look like they have hard line breaks.

In other words, in some txt documents the end of lines from the original just seem to stop to matter where they are on the screen. It leads to a lot of nearly blank lines and makes it hard to read. Does this trick fix that also, or do we need to try something like a mass replace of CR/LF/NewParagraph type characters with MS Word?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't encountered that yet in any of my files, anybody got a sample I could test on? Or want to test it themselves?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
You have to do a search and replace. When using wordwrap, it inserts line breaks and therefore is unreadable in a converted format. You need to search and replace the Paragraph mark in Word.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote