Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie Free for 1 day (if you are quick)

Quote:
24 Hour Free Promotional Download

A free promotional download will become available in the UK for 24 hours from 12 noon BST 22 April to 12 noon BST 23 April. To access the download, you will need to provide your email. By entering your email address, you agree that the Bloomsbury Group can send you occasional promotional emails about our books. We will not share your details with other companies.

UK iPhone and iTouch users will be able to access the download with Stanza through iTunes.
http://www.bloomsbury.com/orange/

Says UK so unfortunately there might be IP filtering for those of you not in this green and pleasant land.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Great find! Thanks for posting! I wonder what other formats it will be in?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
No problem. For those that are interested I usually blog any free ebooks I find (among other free and random things) at http://www.weateallthepies.com/ but I'll stick them here too from now on.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Drake
reading everywhere
Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CyBook Gen3, PocketBook Touch Lux
Oh well, it is a PDF-File of 1,2 MB size.
373 pages of text.
AND it is downloadable outside of Great Britain also.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
And there are birds in the background on every page which is causing the Kindle converter and Mobipocket Creator to go insane while trying to convert it :/
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Not that I want to inspect the state of the teeth of the proverbial gift horse, but ...

Yes, as usual it is a PDF
As unuseable as they get.

Horrible, *horrible*, HORRIBLE.
- page size 190.5 x 272.8mm
- extremely wide page margins approx. 40mm left and right, 50mm top and 30mm botton
- text unrelated to the book in the header and footer
- grey "watermark" picture (several objects) in background behind text on EACH PAGE (OCR engines are gona love that one!)
- "left" and "right" page have a little bit different sized margins to make automated removal of said wide margins much, much more interesting ;-)
- even if you print it out, the text occupies only 40% of the page.

<sigh...>
when will they learn?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Nope, wouldn't recommend it. Calibre doesn't like the birdies and the pdf causes my reader to freeze when trying to enlarge to medium.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Not that I want to inspect the state of the teeth of the proverbial gift horse, but ...

Yes, as usual it is a PDF
As unuseable as they get.

Horrible, *horrible*, HORRIBLE.
- page size 190.5 x 272.8mm
- extremely wide page margins approx. 40mm left and right, 50mm top and 30mm botton
- text unrelated to the book in the header and footer
- grey "watermark" picture (several objects) in background behind text on EACH PAGE (OCR engines are gona love that one!)
- "left" and "right" page have a little bit different sized margins to make automated removal of said wide margins much, much more interesting ;-)
- even if you print it out, the text occupies only 40% of the page.

<sigh...>
when will they learn?
Indeed, I was holding out for anything but pdf but sadly they have done the usual.

Why does everyone like PDF so much? I guess they are print companies but surely they must do some research into ebooks and formats.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If there is an email address, I do think we should all send a message saying how bad the PDF is and pointing to this thread.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is the book any good? If it is good, I'd like to give it a try. But not for free, if they insist on sending SPAM emails. Neither my bust nor penis need enlarging, thank you very much.

If it's good, just show me where to anonymously buy it.

The summary looks like something that I would read straight through over a weekend, wouldn't want to put it down.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-22-2009 at 09:16 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is the book any good? If it is good, I'd like to give it a try. But not for free, if they insist on sending SPAM emails. Neither my bust nor penis need enlarging, thank you very much.

If it's good, just show me where to anonymously buy it.
Simple solution....

Go to your ISP and setup another email address. Then use it to get this book and then delete the account. Works quite well for places you need to use an email address but don't actually want any email.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Simple solution....

Go to your ISP and setup another email address. Then use it to get this book and then delete the account. Works quite well for places you need to use an email address but don't actually want any email.
Or just enter anything@anything.com because it just gives you a link to download rather than emailing it to you and they won't have any kind of valid mail checking.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Simple solution....

Oh DUH! I forgot that I have that already, just for such an occasion. My bellsouth.net address, if I can remember the first part. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Or just enter anything@anything.com because it just gives you a link to download rather than emailing it to you and they won't have any kind of valid mail checking.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
But not for free, if they insist on sending SPAM emails.
just use anemail address:
any_invented_name.mailinator.com

example:
lsakfjalsdjfkl@mailinator.com
ThisAddressDoesNotExist@mailinator.com
justme@mailinator.com

visit www.mailinator.com for better explanation.
Please notice that maininator has many aliases, in case some administrator learns about mailinator and filters its addresses. Again, see mailinator.com for details.

when you enter a mailinator address you are sent to a download page.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote