Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I read a lot of library books. If the description sounds good, I'll give it a try. Most of them turn out to be at least OK; there have been only a few that I gave up on and didn't finish.

If I'm not sure whether I want to try the book based on the description, I might try looking for reviews on Goodreads, but sometimes there are too many spoilers in the reviews.

Once I discover an author I like, I look for more books by the same author.

I agree with tm3 about looking through old threads. If there's a genre you know you like, you might try doing a search in the Reading Recommendations forum. For example, I know that there have been a number of threads about mysteries, cozy mysteries, and thrillers so if I am looking for something new, I might search for thread titles containing "mystery" or "thriller" and see what people recommended.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I read a lot of library books as well, I hate the prices of paper backs these days, so why not pay the ultimate price for books $0.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
One part of my personal answer is to start a lot more books than I finish.

Another is that I read signed major media book reviews -- the kind where the review author gets paid (I know not enough). Here are some web sites to try:

http://realclearbooks.com/

http://www.nybooks.com/

http://www.lrb.co.uk/

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/review/

The last three above are available for your eReader via the Calibre Fetch News feature.

I also get interested in a subject (lately, 20th century Taiwan history) and search out books on it at libraries or via googling. But before reading, I try to find at least one review from a reliable source.

Lastly, I do sometimes bring up the Overdrive collection at libraries I have cards for, and search in categories that interest me for books added in the last so many days.

One thing I really do want is an equivalent of RottenTomatoes.com for books. Since the ratio of professionally edited reviews to books is so much lower than the ratio of reviews to films, a book review tabulation site could never be as apparently fabulous (apparently, because I hardly watch movies) as rottentomatoes.com. But someone should try.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Amazon reviews, Goodreads, forum book threads (not this forum ironically)
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Lots of ways I guess:

- If I liked an author before, there's a good chance I'm going to like that author again. I have enough on my "go to" list that I doubt I'd run out of options soon.
- The book clubs here and some groups I've joined in Goodreads. Books and authors come up in discussion, in nominations/voting etc...
- I tend to drop into bookshops on occasion and browse through the shelves to see if something catches my eye in a genre of choice. If the blurb is interesting (a favourable comparison to China Miéville usually works), I'll note it down and wish list it later on Amazon.
- Because I get requests to review indie works, I read quite a few samples there and that can get an indie author onto my "go to" pile, expanding my reading options even further.
- I have a thing for Russian authors (and surrounding regions), so when popular or classic books pop up in English translation they tend to get my attention.
- Kindle Daily Deals and Monthly Deals (along with similar deals at Amazon and on other sites) will sometimes introduce me to new authors that grab my attention.
- Something branded "classic" will usually mean that it's on my radar even if I never get around to reading it. I have an interest in books that have or are expected to withstand the test of time.
- Bestseller lists. I don't really look at these too much, but because I frequent sites like Amazon, it can mean that some books are more immediately visible to me. This might result in my buying a book when it turns up in the Kindle daily deal or similar which I referred to earlier.
- If my mother, sister or partner strongly recommended a book to me, the book would be on my radar. On occasion I've also investigated a book recommended to me my an author or site member (here, Goodreads etc..), but usually only if it's a personal recommendation. A general blog or forum post might not get the same kind of attention from me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
People's reading lists in the challenge threads here. Especially when I see a few books that I have liked on them I will check out the other books/authors.

Please update your book lists, some of us do read them!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #22
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If your library subscribes to it, try NoveList. It's a database that provides similar books based on title, author or genre.

Fantastic Fiction is a site that a fellow librarian introduced to me and it's great as well. You can search by author, title or ISBN. If you search by author, you'll get a list of books written by the author as well as some read-a-likes.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Not sure what you mean by worth reading. I read mainly because I enjoy reading, so an enjoyable book is my primary concern. Doesn't have to be smart, amusing, fast paced, etc. although those are the books I like most.

Conversely there are books I love that are few or none of those things.

I read non fiction when the subject interests me.

There are a lot of authors I am 95% positive I will be happy with anything they write. There are also a few I avoid.

Public libraries are a great way of weeding out the chaff. In general they stock books that are popular. May be new, may be old, but if no one wants to read them they rarely have them. Plus if you have library access you can get them at no additional cost and if you don't like them just return and get another. And the author does benefit from library ebook loans.

If you don't have library access just looking to see if the book is on overdrive and the amount of holds etc.may give you a slight indication whether it is worth reading.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
Mencken
Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-350
The short answer is I stumble upon something that interests me.

For me, it's worth reading -- or at least looking it over -- if I'm interested in the subject matter. Often something I read while surfing my favorite Web sites will pique my curiosity. For example, the other day I was reading about the Kennedy assassination which referred to the Mafia which referred to Meyer Lansky which referred to the Mossad, which led me to pick up a book titled "Final Judgment".

I'm always curious about something or other, so I don't have to stumble for very long before I'm on to something.
Mencken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Like some of the others, it's a combination of things.
1) first group is the set of authors that I've read over the years and tend to get whatever new book comes out.
2) Books that friends recommend (friends is kind of a loose term for people that I've met in person or on line who I have known long enough to have an idea if we have the same taste in specific types of books )
3) Online Book Reviews.
4) Books on subjects that I'm interested in.
5) Amazon reviews
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #26
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I actually follow a couple of review sites. But I've spent time sorting and finding ones I like. For urban fantasy and fantasy recommendations I use:

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/

For general--they cover urban fantasy and cozy mysteries as well as thrillers I like:

http://openbooksociety.com/

I also participate in a couple of goodreads forums and get some good recs from there.

The book I mentioned on my own blog today I found by reading this blog:

http://meanfatoldbat.blogspot.com/

Her husband has been very ill lately so she hasn't been reviewing/blogging much, but she reads some interesting stuff.

For indie books I often check:

http://papyrus.calebblake.net/

Our tastes don't align perfectly, but the reviews are good and I can get a pretty decent idea about whether I'd like the book or not.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #27
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Good source of books from this thread.

From Amazon:
- Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
This is hit or miss, because sometimes the customers buy all the books from the same author, so I don't get to have a variety or know what are other books out there

- Recommendations
Both Amazon and Kobo have good personalized recommendations. Kobo also has good list of recommendations when you add a book to the cart

- List such as Books > History > Americas > United States > 21st Century
Some books have this list at the bottom, some don't. To find other similar books, I would click these links

From Pulitzer
- http://www.pulitzer.org/awards/2013
Also past years, these books are normally good read
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
For indie books I often check:

http://papyrus.calebblake.net/

Our tastes don't align perfectly, but the reviews are good and I can get a pretty decent idea about whether I'd like the book or not.
That's the sweetest thing. I apologise for my hiatus. I've had a rather elongated moment of lethargy which I must conquer. I've been halfway through a review for weeks now. At least it hasn't stopped me reading.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #29
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Some of the more interesting sources for books to read:

1. Local book talk group - we have a group here that meets every two weeks to share what we're reading and what we think about the book. Now, we're in France and Book Talk is an English language activity. Most folks are there to practice their English, and we don't insist that anyone read in English. Some of the most interesting books suggested by the members are things they have read in French, or German or whatever other language they like to read in. Not everything has been translated to English - but a surprising number have been or are listed on Amazon as due out in the coming months.

2. The Economist often reviews books, and their year-end edition where they nominate the best novels of the year usually includes some very interesting titles.

3. I've gotten some good book reviews from The Guardian Weekly, but unfortunately for now I have to let my subscription go. (Too expensive for my current budget.)

4. The Daily Show - often interviews authors and from the interviews you can get an idea about whether or not you'd enjoy the book.

Of course I run all the titles I get by Goodreads - and I especially like to check out the "bad" reviews there as well as the raves.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #30
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I can't imagine spending time looking for books to read. My TBR grows faster than I can deal with it just as a side effect of other interests--like browsing MR, reading io9 (reviews and comments), "what are you reading" threads on other forums, and talking books face to face with people. A couple of times I've put out a call in this forum for recommendations in a subject area I wanted to expand, like upbeat literary fiction, great history books, or Classical Era historical fiction.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote