Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
drawingbreath
drawingbreath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Boyue Likebook Mars, Kobo Touch
Bricked Jailbroken Kindle 3. Custom Font killed password entry.

Well, don't I feel stupid.

Having successfully and easily jailbroken my Kindle 3G to have new screensavers and a nicer font I can no longer log into my beloved Kindle.

The jailbreak went fine. The screensavers worked fine. The first install of fonts worked fine. But when I tried to install a couple of Serif and Sans fonts that I found on a couple of Kindle font sites it has no virtually killed my Kindle. It boots fine, and hard resets ok, but the password box no longer pops up, so I can't enter it or mount it via USB. Just trying to type the password does nothing.

Am I screwed. Did my tinkering just cost me £150?

Sigh! Please help me, internet. I'm a curious idiot.
drawingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not bricked, check the thread.

Basically, do a hard reboot, and a factory reset (by holding [HOME] during the boot process and following the on screen instructions).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-06-2011 at 10:42 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
drawingbreath
drawingbreath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Boyue Likebook Mars, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Not bricked, check the thread.

Basicaly, do a hard reboot, and a factory reset (by holding [HOME] during the boot process and following the on screen instructions).
Sir, you are a scholar and a gent. I did a search for hard reset, but the recovery mode trick didn't surface. I now have effectively a brand-new, empty unregistered Kindle. It's going to be a pain sorting out my collections again, but you've saved me (and potentially future readers who get here by Google) a sleepless night and unnecessary expense.
drawingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote