Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
If Al Gore is going to continue to expel his hot air into the atmosphere from 2010-2019, then I won't be willing to take that bet.
Every time someone mentions Al Gore, I recall what James Carville wrote in Had Enough?

"You know, back in 2000 a Republican friend of mine warned me that if I voted for Al Gore and he won, the stock market would tank, we'd lose millions of jobs, and our military would be totally overstretched. You know what: I did vote for Al Gore, he did win, and I'll be damned if all those things didn't come true."
— James Carville, Had Enough? (© 2003), Introduction: The Lesson of the Transgender Amendment
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #32
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
I would expect you to phrase your point like this:

"Al Gore claimed in his book that ....
But other foresters/my experience says that this claim is not correct because...
Therefore, Al gore's book is not worth reading.

Finally, let's talk about probability. I would be willing to bet anyone that the mean global temperature between 2010-2019 is greater than the mean global temperature between 2000 and 2009. If anyone is foolish to take that bet, I will bet up to 1000$ and give 2 to 1 odds (requiring some sort of legal promissory note of course). If global warming is a hoax (as many people seem to believe), then you should take that bet. If you are not willing to take that bet, please explain why.
Very well, hapax.

Al Gore claimed in his book that recent catastrophic forest fires and insect infestations are due to warming. This is incorrect because it does not account for 100 years of fire suppression, which is [too] conveniently ignored... Therefore, Gore's book is not worth reading.

Seconding BOb's request for details on the bet... Aren't the vast majority of temperature readings currently around urban heat islands and the northern hemisphere?

If we can get a unbiased, global data set I'd take that bet in a heart beat!... Even if I lose, I can't imagine $1000 2019 dollars will be more than $600 2010 dollars.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #33
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
Hi! I was somewhat disappointed in Waba's dismissal of Al Gore's book due to one possible error - what about all the other unassailable evidence given? That's rather like dropping a friend just because he/she makes one mistake, isn't it? I'd suggest reading the entire book and then judging it on its general feel for accuracy instead of being precipitous in tossing it out.
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #34
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringecup View Post
Hi! I was somewhat disappointed in Waba's dismissal of Al Gore's book due to one possible error - what about all the other unassailable evidence given? That's rather like dropping a friend just because he/she makes one mistake, isn't it? I'd suggest reading the entire book and then judging it on its general feel for accuracy instead of being precipitous in tossing it out.
True, Fringecup, I should probably read more... But that omission is so glaring, IMO it really does discredit the entire section... I think Gore is a pretty savvy guy, so I don't see how it could have been an error.

But... if my library gets the ebook I'll read the whole thing.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote