Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
drlolly
drlolly began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Smile Website reading offline

Is it possible with my iLiad to capture a whole website to peruse at leisure on my iLiad complete with all the links and pages. I don't want to open every page when I am on my PC, but look at it later.
For instance, I have a 30 day trial of a journal and want to see how it would work on my iLiad. The trial is only available online. I thought of downloading it onto my CF card.
Any ideas anyone?
drlolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
With some third party tools you can install a web browser and turn on the WiFi network. The slow refresh speed of eInk makes it a bit tedious to surt the web, but it would work.

Alternatively, there used to be some software tools that would capture an entire website and save it locally as a series of HTML files. I haven't played with them in years, so don't know if they're still around or if there are better versions today. This was before a lot of the content online was dynamic, it may not work as well for offline reading these days.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
At one time, plucker (supported by FBReader) was a good way to do this. Today, I suggest trying Calibre to produce MOBI. Calibre can build ebooks from on-line periodicals for you, and may already have "recipes" for the ones you want. Or you can use a web site download program to get the pages on your PC and then run Calibre over the local copy.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Adobe Acrobat 8.0 or above can capture the link tree of an URL and convert it to pdf. I think it's the best way to read website offline on iLiad.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See also Reading HTML / Browsing in offline mode, where web2fb2 is one option mentioned.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
drlolly

Thanks so much. I will go off and explore the options. I'm just a baby still at this!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
drlolly

Did it!

Thanks everyone. It was so much fun, even though I don't know what I'm doing. I tried to mirror a big website (on 9 hrs and still didn't finish) and that didn't work. I did a small one which was OK.
I think I need to add more filters to the big one as it was too dynamic, but I am in kindergarten here.
I give up there. I will email them and see if they can make it available to read on my iLiad as a subscription.

Tags
website iliad