Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Site compression a must with Kindle browser

This maybe completely obvious to the tech savvy user, but for someone new to mobile web browsing I found this indispensable. I don't surf the web on my phone so I never got into it.

For anyone who has tried to use the default bookmark for wikipedia on the Kindle it is almost unusable. I thought it was a complete joke the first time I used it, because the default wikipedia link is not formatted for mobile use.

After some research I just recently discovered that you need to use site compression like Phonifier or Skweezer. These sites transcode the html on the fly to optimize for mobile devices and make it so much more readable on the Kindle. They are both web based so nothing to install, just use as a proxy and enter the site you want to transcode. I like Phonifier because it is open source, but Skweezer appears to be the industry leader and used by Bloglines for instance. Skweezer has a bunch of popular sites in their directory so you don't have to enter the url, just select the links and then bookmark it.

I guess Amazon did not put these sites in the default bookmarks because they really do not want to encourage us to use the browser or Whispernet except to purchase books. But actually with site compression the browser on the Kindle is very useful because of the larger screen size than on most phones. Not for long sessions but in a pinch like at dentist office, car dealership, etc. I am sure people know of other ways to optimize mobile web browsing as well.

Last edited by l1n1234; 05-22-2008 at 08:10 PM.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
thanks for the tip l1n1234
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the links.
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Phoniier may have issues with sites that require you to login. I just tried it with MobilRead and when I tried to login, I received 411 - Length Required.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1n1234 View Post
After some research I just recently discovered that you need to use site compression like Phonifier or Skweezer.
Hope this isn't too far off the wall--but do you know if there's a way to replace the link that gets used when you "Search Wikipedia for ..."?

I use the feature frequently but would love to get the results back thru phonifier. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
R.L.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hope this isn't too far off the wall--but do you know if there's a way to replace the link that gets used when you "Search Wikipedia for ..."?

I use the feature frequently but would love to get the results back thru phonifier. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
R.L.
I would also love to have this feature, except with skweezer.

PS. sorry for reviving a three years old thread.
PPS. my first post

Last edited by Kozzi; 09-25-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: pps
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Ellie
Avid reader
Ellie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo and Samsung Tablet
Thanks for reviving this thread, I like Skweezer!
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Thanks for reviving this thread, I like Skweezer!
me too, right now my method for this is:

- website on firefox
- location bar: "sk website's url"
- "shorten url addon for firefox" button
- write the shortened address to kindle's browser

therefore it would be nice to have Skweezer added to the search feature in kindle's browser.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Google has some reasonable information in their Let's make the web faster pages. There's a few books out there on this stuff as well. From putting all your javascript in one spot, image compression, css overloading and even where to put your stylesheets in the html itself.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote