Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
obarz
obarz began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Seeking to connect with experienced Calibre conversion techies

Hello,

I know the traditions of printed book pages inside out. Along with being a professional book designer, I have spent my life as a publisher with special focus on book production--design, typesetting, printing and binding.

My present study involves creating ebooks that look and flow in a manner that mimics the expectation that a reader of an ebook has learned from having absorbed the tradition of hundreds of years of book design development.

There are reasons that flow from usefulness and legibility about how the "rules" of book design have grown over the centuries!

A difficulty in ebook preparation seems to be in making today's state of ebook technology mesh with the hundreds of years of tradition one expects to find incorporated into the viewing of an ebook page.

I am seeking to establish developmental dialog with individuals who know Word and Calibre inside out, the purpose being to bring to the table what I know about what a book page is supposed to look like while we work together to manipulate the data to make it do that.

Thank you.

Last edited by obarz; 02-12-2011 at 07:21 AM.
obarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi obarz, i just greet you with us. Why don't you post the same message in the Calibre forum. Let me find it for you. Here.

I had second thoughts. I think Word is not exactly the best tool for your purposes (I know next to nothing about Calibre, except that it does what I need).
Word adds an incredible amount of useless gibberish to text files. There is a full literature on the subjects and a body of myths about it.
Scripting for Words used a delirium tremens scripting language that goes under the name of Visual Basic, that is probably the Microsoft downgraded version of C#- VB is the last structured and less intuitive scripting language that I know of. Maybe it is still the scripting language for Word, even now.

I would think of alternative to Word.

Last edited by beppe; 02-12-2011 at 08:45 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi obarz and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to MR !
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
obarz
obarz began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thank you beppe. I will repost in the Conversions section.

Much of the work we get to prepare in e-form begins its life or is most easily re-rendered in Word. Thus, unless converted to another form, is the devil I must deal with.
obarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

There is also a Calibre Forum ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote