Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
Ok, looks like it'll take more work than I anticipated. Sorry guys! I might still do it though and experiment, it looks like a fun project.

I suppose what i'd need is a strip of scrap leather (so add another $5 to $10) to make the middle fold, glue it to the two covers. (Or just take it to staples and have them put a spiral bind on it!).

Argh, sorry about that. I totally got mislead by the pics (once at the sony website, and then of these journal covers!). Argh.

Last edited by ebooker; 10-20-2010 at 07:09 PM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Huh. I always thought the magnets were in the covers, and they stuck to the metal of the reader.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #18
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Edited by boxcorner

Last edited by boxcorner; 10-26-2010 at 02:38 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Perhaps two narrow strips of thin flexible leather might work better, one on the inside and the other on the outside.
ya thats what i'm planning. ordered some scrap leather strips for $5.

Quote:
Take care to hold the sandwiched strips in a U-shape while the glue is drying...
... wouldn't be necessary to actually glue the two leather strips together, thus leaving them more flexible - making it easier to fold the front cover back.
good tips, thanks!

Quote:
It would be nice to see some photos of your completed cover. Good luck with your project.
mos def!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
I would love to hear about and see your project as it develops. I even considered visiting a local used book store and finding a book of similar size with good binding and (look away if squemish) cut out the text block and attach my 650 inside the old covers. To avoid destroying a real book in good shape, I might talk to the owner and see if they have any water damaged books for my project.

Another idea I have makes use of where I live. The town I live in is one of those self-proclaimed "cowboy capital of the world" types. There are a few boot and saddle makers around that might make a leather journal cover and fancy it up real nice. If I find one that is agreeable and reasonable, I may ask him if he is interested in making up a batch or two.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Pete View Post
I would love to hear about and see your project as it develops. I even considered visiting a local used book store and finding a book of similar size with good binding and (look away if squemish) cut out the text block and attach my 650 inside the old covers.
i was considering this too. I think it would be a really good idea actually (plus, you'd have the damn binding in place, lol). And it would give it that "real book" look that I was after, too. 5x7" is a pretty standard size for small books and journals. Another option is to just buy a new 5x7 leatherette journal (they're really not pricey on ebay) and rip the blank pages out (and use them for scrap paper or something). Even like a clairefontaine journal cover (for that matter, the cover off a used moleskin journal would be neat). But ya old library book would have real character.

Quote:
Another idea I have makes use of where I live. The town I live in is one of those self-proclaimed "cowboy capital of the world" types. There are a few boot and saddle makers around that might make a leather journal cover and fancy it up real nice.
i remember reading about a site that makes leather/worn covers for the ipad. Similar idea and shouldnt be too difficult to make with scrap leather I would think. Those ipad covers looked spectacular.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Have a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=journal+cover
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
omg, thats beautiful! Thanks for the link
Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
ebooker
Banned

quick update on this: I just got all the materials in the mail today (that was quick). Basically, bad idea. The 2 covers arent even leather, they're like a thick cardboard. Shows what a noobie I am at arts and crafts. :-D

That said, it does *look* good, its sort of 'embossed' (stamped with a pattern), and with the very nice scrap leather brown strips I got, it would "look" nice. However nothing is going to beat a real leatherette cover obviously. ANd now that I know the normal sony cover fits well after all, I'll probably stick with that.

I'll probably go ahead and glue a leather binding to these two cardboard pieces just for grins and i'll post a pic. It does look nice, even tho soon as you pick it up you know its cardboard and not leather

That said, the underlying idea here is sound -- if you can find an old leather 5x7 journal cover, it should make a fine and nifty cover for the reader. Problem is it may not be as inexpensive as I first imagined

Last edited by ebooker; 10-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #25
sun15
sun15 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, PRS-650
I too belong to the people who couldn't wait for a cover to my liking for the Sony PRS-650, so I made one myself. I used a notepad, removed the pages, glued dark paper on the inside, and now I have a unique cover for my beloved reader!

Last edited by sun15; 10-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
sun15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun15 View Post
I too belong to the people who couldn't wait for a cover to my liking for the Sony PRS-650, so I made one myself. I used a notepad, removed the pages, glued dark paper on the inside, and now I have a unique cover for my beloved reader!
have a pic? Does it work well? If you put some magnetic tape (front cover inside corners) it should stick nicely to the reader.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
sun15
sun15 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, PRS-650

The right side overlaps the front part and is magnetic. I am very happy with it. The price of the notepad was 10 Euros. I don't think I would ever need another cover :-)
sun15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #28
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Edited by boxcorner

Last edited by boxcorner; 10-26-2010 at 02:38 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #29
ebooker
Banned

that really looks very cool and functional too I'd prefer a cover like that to the ones being sold.
Where did you find the cover?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #30
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun15 View Post

The right side overlaps the front part and is magnetic. I am very happy with it. The price of the notepad was 10 Euros. I don't think I would ever need another cover :-)
Oh, I love that! I'm going to have to look around at Borders and B&N to see if I can find something like that - I like my Kroo Melrose case, but yours is so elegant!
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote