Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
theBell
theBell began at the beginning.

Device: Irex
Summary of eBook reading apps

Hi. I just got my iPad today and installed iBook. I have been checking Apple's reader applications over the last few weeks and a swarm of new readers have popped up. I am aware of some of the DRM protected readers; B&N, Kobo, Kindle. What about some of the other open ePub readers on the iPad. Has anyone studied what's out there and maybe ranked them? I have heard of stanza and ISIB. What is your favorite?

Thank you.

michelle
theBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The great thing about iPad is the freedom to get any book from just about anywhere via their apps. I personally prefer B&N, but also use Kobo, iBooks, Kindle, etc. I never had this flexibility with any other reader. And the fact that it is colored is just icing.

Congrats on your new toy, and happy eroding!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
browse through this forum, you'll find plenty of threads about various reader applications..

stanza is pretty much iphone only, they will not be releasing an ipad version.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I haven't ranked them, but I've provided some input on what formats they support here on the wiki.

Right now I'm pretty tied to readMe as it is the only non-DRM ePub reader available (other thank Bookshelf) which supports a night view. I personally couldn't stand BookshelfLT because it put ads ON the book itself. readMe has some bugs so it's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it suffices for most purposes, and works with calibre.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote