Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #121
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
With due respect, I have plenty of ideas of what the iPad will be good for, for me - I wouldn't presume to speak for you, or for anyone else whose requirements I'm not familiar with - and have detailed them in other threads on this subject.

At the risk of repeating myself, in broad terms I expect to use an iPad for the things that I find a laptop too large, and a smartphone too small.
Yes, we have a device like that already. It's a Netbook. They likely have better processors than the Ipad (or equal), it's about the same size, and it has a Keyboard so you can use it for more things. Battery Life is comparable. It is also a LOT cheaper (a quarter to half the price).

Given how something that large can be awkwardly heavy, a Netbook is also more useful for reading because it supports the screen when it is in a resting position (if you want to use it for reading). A Netbook also has the capability of running a LOT more programs without artificial restrictions. The icing on the cake is the Ipad doesn't even come with a stylus system, so inputing data on it will be...bad.

This is why I say there's next to no market for this device. Laptops do big things better. Smart phones do portability and battery life better. There is a market for stuff inbetween though, but Netbooks do that better and cheaper than the Ipad. There's very, very little room for something like the Ipad.

And tablets didn't do well because you just can't do that much with just a touch interface. They are much better with a stylus and good software, but the Ipad isn't coming with a stylus. This is going to be very crippling for the device.

Last edited by drachasor; 02-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #122
drachasor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
But I know plenty of people who 90% of their internet use is just reading news, reading blogs, reading updates of Facebook/twitter, watching video etc. Not eveyone is always posting on forums etc. and needing the keyboard on all their internet devices.
Watching video requires finding it at least. Facebook and Twitter are types of social networking, and a LOT of people that use those also input data, which the Ipad won't be good at. Honestly, the internet is becoming more and more interactive, and in this world the Ipad is shockingly lacking in input capability.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #123
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor View Post
Yes, we have a device like that already. It's a Netbook. They likely have better processors than the Ipad (or equal), it's about the same size, and it has a Keyboard so you can use it for more things. Battery Life is comparable. It is also a LOT cheaper (a quarter to half the price).

Given how something that large can be awkwardly heavy, a Netbook is also more useful for reading because it supports the screen when it is in a resting position (if you want to use it for reading). A Netbook also has the capability of running a LOT more programs without artificial restrictions. The icing on the cake is the Ipad doesn't even come with a stylus system, so inputing data on it will be...bad.

This is why I say there's next to no market for this device. Laptops do big things better. Smart phones do portability and battery life better. There is a market for stuff inbetween though, but Netbooks do that better and cheaper than the Ipad. There's very, very little room for something like the Ipad.

And tablets didn't do well because you just can't do that much with just a touch interface. They are much better with a stylus and good software, but the Ipad isn't coming with a stylus. This is going to be very crippling for the device.

I fully disagree with a pretty much all of that.

Netbook processor's suck. Most I've tried choke on streaming video, and I've not found one that could come close to doing HD. Though apparently some newer models are starting to improve on that front--though reviews still put HD play back at so-so and varying greatly by site. From the demo it looks like the iPad handles HD video with no issues power wise.

So I've had no need for a Netbook and outside of work, friends/family, my free time revolves around movies, tv shows and sports so any internet device I have has to be able to handle HD video flawlessly.

Netbooks and laptops are TERRIBLE to read on IMO due to the form factor. A tablet I can hold just like a hardcover book and pretty much just like my kindle. Curl up in the recliner and read, lay on the couch or bed and read just like I do with a real book or my Kindle.

Similarly, I've had no use for a smart phone--especially with data plans being $30 a month. Just no use for browsing the web on such a tiny screen, getting annoyed by e-mails from my students and colleagues everywhere I go etc. If I need directions I've got my Garmin in the car. If I need an address I call a friend or two to find one who's at a computer. And I wouldn't want to read on such a small screen (have tried on a friends iPhone).

I mean I get it. Tablets aren't for you. And that's fine. Netbooks and smart phones aren't for me, but I'd get a lot of use out of the right kind of tablet. And I don't care if that tablet is some huge mass market success, or some niche item that sells 100,000 or less. As long as it does all I need, that's all that matters.

I really don't see why you're here and posting so much if you have ZERO interest in the iPad or Tablets period and think theyll bomb. To be blunt, no one here gives a crap about hearing such opinions. We all want to discuss the iPad/tablets with people who at least are interested in them and want to discuss the pros and cons of the iPad as it fits or doesn't fit their needs.

Not just hear someone basically say "Tablets suck and are useless" repeatedly. I mean I'm not going in to forums for devices like the iRex or PDAs etc. that I find useless and saying that the devices suck etc. I spend my time discussing devices I own or have some interest in.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #124
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Watching video requires finding it at least. Facebook and Twitter are types of social networking, and a LOT of people that use those also input data, which the Ipad won't be good at. Honestly, the internet is becoming more and more interactive, and in this world the Ipad is shockingly lacking in input capability.
On screen keyboard is fine for that, and I just use the same handful of sites so once it's bookmarked that's fine. 99% of my web browsing is done with book marks. I hardly every type and url. That or type one or two words into google to find a site--again the onscreen keyboard will be fine for that. Should be quicker than texting on a non-QWERTY keyboard phone, and people my age and younger (and older for that matter) do plenty of that every day!

I also do very little text input on Facebook. I mainly read people's updates, play games like Mafia Wars etc. that's are just clicking. Even if I do comment on someone's status etc., it's just few words which again the onscreen keyboard can handle.

You're acting like people will buy this instead of a laptop or PC. That's not the case, it's a supplemental device. I'll ALWAYS have a laptop provided by work and/or a personal one as well.

The tablet would be a supplemental device used for marking up documents, reading, browsing the net on the couch (maybe lack of keyboard will be a good thing and keep me from wasting so much time on forums like this one!) etc., with the laptop used for actual computing.

Again, I get that tablets aren't for you. That's fine. Now get out of the iPad threads and leave the discussion to people who have some level of interest in the iPad or tablets in general who are discussing the actual pros and cons of the iPad--not just bitching about why they don't have any interest in Tablets period. That adds nothing to the discussion.

People know what tablets can and can't do. We know the limitation of not having a keyboard. You pointing that out over and over is nothing more than a "no shit Sherlock) annoyance. We all know this won't be a text entry device.

It's device inbetween a phone/pda and laptop/netbook for those of us who need such a device and have plenty of disposable income for owning a slew of gadgets for specific needs.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #125
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
A quarter of the price of an iPad for a comparable Netbook?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #126
drachasor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Netbook processor's suck. Most I've tried choke on streaming video, and I've not found one that could come close to doing HD. Though apparently some newer models are starting to improve on that front--though reviews still put HD play back at so-so and varying greatly by site. From the demo it looks like the iPad handles HD video with no issues power wise.
No issues power-wise? There's no way HD doesn't cut into its 10 hour battery life disproportionately. Anyhow, I guess the Ipad might do HD better, but that's only going to be when you have it on the device or perhaps on a wifi connection (3G can't transfer data fast enough). When you go beyond that, a Netbook is going to have a lot more options available in what it can run overall

Quote:
So I've had no need for a Netbook and outside of work, friends/family, my free time revolves around movies, tv shows and sports so any internet device I have has to be able to handle HD video flawlessly.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Netbooks and laptops are TERRIBLE to read on IMO due to the form factor. A tablet I can hold just like a hardcover book and pretty much just like my kindle. Curl up in the recliner and read, lay on the couch or bed and read just like I do with a real book or my Kindle.
I've read on my laptop a lot. A netbook would just be easier. You can sit on a recliner, recline, and read easily enough on a netbook. I don't see what's so hard about it.

Quote:
Similarly, I've had no use for a smart phone--especially with data plans being $30 a month. Just no use for browsing the web on such a tiny screen, getting annoyed by e-mails from my students and colleagues everywhere I go etc. If I need directions I've got my Garmin in the car. If I need an address I call a friend or two to find one who's at a computer. And I wouldn't want to read on such a small screen (have tried on a friends iPhone).
As I've already said, a Smart Phone with a data plan costs about as much per month as a Cell Phone + Ipad with a data plan. So the Ipad isn't saving you money if you get the 3G. Anyhow, you don't have to read your email on a smart phone if you don't want to.

Now, yes, I see how the Ipad is better for reading. But if you want to mark up documents and such, you're going to at least want a Stylus interface, which the Ipad doesn't come with. So I don't see how it even does what you'd want it to. If you are just using it for reading, then there are plenty of devices that do as good a job but cheaper. Heck, plenty of devices where reading device + smart phone is cheaper than an Ipad.

Quote:
I mean I get it. Tablets aren't for you. And that's fine. Netbooks and smart phones aren't for me, but I'd get a lot of use out of the right kind of tablet. And I don't care if that tablet is some huge mass market success, or some niche item that sells 100,000 or less. As long as it does all I need, that's all that matters.
I'm not really saying tablets aren't for me. A good tablet that could replace paper for reading AND writing purposes would be great if it also had a 12+ hour battery life (preferably more). Naturally it would be much better if it could also do other things too. The Ipad can kinda replace paper for output, but certainly not for input. I find the battery life on it too short for the battery to not be an issue. Current tablets are no different from this, of course. I think a tablet that did all this would do quite well for itself too.

Quote:
I really don't see why you're here and posting so much if you have ZERO interest in the iPad or Tablets period and think theyll bomb. To be blunt, no one here gives a crap about hearing such opinions. We all want to discuss the iPad/tablets with people who at least are interested in them and want to discuss the pros and cons of the iPad as it fits or doesn't fit their needs.
I'm here because I'm rather shocked that the Ipad can do so little. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Apparently I am not.

Anyhow, if you don't care for my opinions or talking about what I am saying, then that's fine. You can just ignore my posts. It's not hard.

Quote:
Not just hear someone basically say "Tablets suck and are useless" repeatedly. I mean I'm not going in to forums for devices like the iRex or PDAs etc. that I find useless and saying that the devices suck etc. I spend my time discussing devices I own or have some interest in.
Yeah, well, I'm not going to apologize or anything for my posts. If you can't handle someone posting over a period of a day or two about a device that has peaked their negative interest, then that's not my fault.

I don't think this is worth getting riled up over. I was just interested in having an honest discussion about the purpose and usefulness of the device. If I frequented the Iliad forums, I'd understand someone wanting the same. The Iliad (and I have one) does have some stark limitations and it is only proper to own up to that. Getting angry at someone because you don't like what they say when what is said is also true is rather ridiculous, imho. The purpose of a forum is to discuss, is it not? I don't think our culture has descended so far that we can't handle people with differing opinions talking to each other yet (though at times, I do worry).

Oh, and if I offended anyone I am sorry. I don't mean to use this as a "trump" card, but my grandmother just got home yesterday. She has a broken hip and her medicare has run out on her so she can't stay at an extended care facility any longer (long story). She still can't walk so it is pretty stressful since only my brother and I here to take care of her. Anyhow, I hadn't had a lot of sleep earlier and so I might have been a bit short or seemed overly arrogant.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #127
drachasor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
A quarter of the price of an iPad for a comparable Netbook?
Well, I've perhaps underrated some of the Ipad's abilities, but it looks like the Ipad costs 800 bucks, and there are 200 dollar Netbooks. So a lot of what you could do on an Ipad can be done on such a device. PDF viewing, mark-ups, reading, etc.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #128
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Well, I've perhaps underrated some of the Ipad's abilities, but it looks like the Ipad costs 800 bucks, and there are 200 dollar Netbooks. So a lot of what you could do on an Ipad can be done on such a device. PDF viewing, mark-ups, reading, etc.
The iPad costs from $500 to $830, depending on storage and 3G.

Last edited by kjk; 02-14-2010 at 08:56 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #129
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
No issues power-wise? There's no way HD doesn't cut into its 10 hour battery life disproportionately. Anyhow, I guess the Ipad might do HD better, but that's only going to be when you have it on the device or perhaps on a wifi connection (3G can't transfer data fast enough). When you go beyond that, a Netbook is going to have a lot more options available in what it can run overall
Yep for me it would be WiFi streaming. I'll never pay for a 3G (or 4G which available in my city) as I have WiFi at home and in the office and that's were I do pretty much all my computing, streaming video watching etc.

Battery life is a non issue when watching streaming video as it should last the 2-4 hours I'd ever watch in any one stretch, and I'd mainly only be watching somewhere I could plug it in anyway. My laptop is rarely ever not plugged into power. I have it to work on the couch, work at home easily etc., not to use away from power sources.

And again, yeah a table is limited, but so is a Netbook. I'll always have a full powered laptop to cover my needs on that front, and have no need for a netbook as I don't carry my laptop around very much anyway to need something small and light on that front.

I need a tablet for document markup ,and would use it some for other reading and net surfing as well. But my laptop would be my main machine then.

Quote:
I've read on my laptop a lot. A netbook would just be easier. You can sit on a recliner, recline, and read easily enough on a netbook. I don't see what's so hard about it.
I just find it uncomfortable. Hard to get in a good angle, especially since I do most of my reading laying down on the couch or bed.

Part of it is just aversion to doing stuff on the laptop or PC that I can avoid since I'm spending 8-12 hours on PCs/laptops most week days between work, goofing online etc.

Quote:
As I've already said, a Smart Phone with a data plan costs about as much per month as a Cell Phone + Ipad with a data plan. So the Ipad isn't saving you money if you get the 3G.
Again, if I got an iPad I wouldn't get the 3G plan for it as I'd only use it at home and in the office and other places where I have wifi.

If I had a smartphone I'd be even less likely to get the 3G for the iPad as I could just use the phone for internet/e-mail away from WiFi and the iPad when at a hotspot.

3G just isn't useful unless you travel constantly or just always have to be connected to the net for whatever reason. I don't fit either of those, so it's a non-issue for me. Any tablet I get will be WiFi only.

Smart phones just aren't my cup of tea. I like getting away from the internet and e-mail as I waste way too much of my life on there anyway. If I'm not at home or the office slaving away I want to be able to relax and not have the temptation to check e-mail etc.

Quote:
Now, yes, I see how the Ipad is better for reading. But if you want to mark up documents and such, you're going to at least want a Stylus interface, which the Ipad doesn't come with. So I don't see how it even does what you'd want it to.
It doesn't and I'm not buying one. Though I'll be keeping an eye on what comes out in terms of capacitive stylus and 3rd party mark up apps. But I'm more interested to see what competitors come up with in terms of making a tablet that's focused around stylus use and aimed more at the business professional and academic market.

Quote:
If you are just using it for reading, then there are plenty of devices that do as good a job but cheaper.
Not really. For my reading needs I need a big screen since a lot of research articles are close to A4 PDF sizes. The Kindle DX doesn't have very good PDF support and is only $10 less than the iPad currently. The Que is more expensive. Again--if the iPad had markup I'd get the 16GB wifi only version ,so don't come back with the higher prices for models with 3G and more storage than I need.

And I wouldn't use it just for reading, I'd watch video, use apps/programs, surf the net on the couch, use it to check e-mail on short trips where I don't need my laptop etc.

So something like the iPad, but with stylus support, is much more attractive to me than a pricey big screen e-ink reader which can only be used for reading as I'd get a lot more use out of it.

Quote:
I'm not really saying tablets aren't for me. A good tablet that could replace paper for reading AND writing purposes would be great if it also had a 12+ hour battery life (preferably more). Naturally it would be much better if it could also do other things too.
We're pretty much on the same page there. Though I don't care as much about battery life. I'd seldom ever use such a device for more than 3 or 4 hours in any give sitting as all my work reading, markup etc. has to be fit in between teaching, meetings, writing work, data analysis and all the other work of academic life.

So something that gets 8-10 hours like the iPad is stated too would be fine for me as that would get me through a days work easily and I can plug it in every night. I also would mainly use it at home and in the office, so no big deal to have to plug it in while working.

Quote:
The Ipad can kinda replace paper for output, but certainly not for input. I find the battery life on it too short for the battery to not be an issue. Current tablets are no different from this, of course.

I think a tablet that did all this would do quite well for itself too.
Yep, but maybe a capacitive stylus and some document mark up apps will end up working well. Time will tell on that.

I do agree that a tablet with full markup features would sell well. There's a big niche there with academics, students, business people etc. who could use them to replace printouts, note pads etc. in their studies, work etc.

Quote:
I'm here because I'm rather shocked that the Ipad can do so little. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Apparently I am not.

Anyhow, if you don't care for my opinions or talking about what I am saying, then that's fine. You can just ignore my posts. It's not hard.
That's fine. There's just been far too many people here who either hate Apple, or hate anything that's not e-ink, or hate tablets that are just posting the same criticisms over and over by bashing the device for not being what they want it to be--i.e. an e-ink device made by another company!

Vs. constructive criticisms specific to the devices like lacking a stylus, multitasking, Flash etc.

Quote:
I don't think our culture has descended so far that we can't handle people with differing opinions talking to each other yet (though at times, I do worry).
True, and I wasn't angry. It's just opinions that have been posted bashing it for not being an e-ink reader (not you but others) or not being a netbook etc. are just silly.

The device, like any tablet that comes after it, isn't meant to be a dedicated reader, nor a full PC. It's a different niche of item, and if it's not someone's cup of tea that's fine. But I don't see the need to go to that devices forum and bash it for not being something that it's not meant to be.

I see that as being as silly as if I went to the Kindle forum and said it sucked as it didn't have a color screen and can't do video. It's not meant to do those things, just like the iPad isn't meant to be a Kindle or be a full netbook or laptop.

We should be talking about the iPad's limitation as a multimedia tablet--not bashing it for not being a netbook or e-ink reader etc.

If someone isn't interested in tablets at all, they really have no place here. But from this post of yours it sounds like you have some interest in tablets, so it's all good. You just sounded very anti-tablet in the first posts you made, rather than just being let down by the iPads flaws as a tablet.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope she makes a full and speedy recovery?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #130
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Well, I'd go for the $500 ipad model if I was buying one.

No $200 netbook is going to do HD video, 3D games etc. which the iPad can (and I'd use a lot).

And I find reading and marking stuff up on a netbook/laptop very uncomfortable.

A tablet would be much better--but unfortunately the iPad falls short as well due to lack of stylus and full suite of mark up options etc.

But as soon as a tablet with full mark up options comes out with the form factor, battery life and price of the iPad I'll buy one day one.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #131
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Yes, we have a device like that already. It's a Netbook.
OK, how about:-

I expect to use an iPad for the things that I find a laptop too large, a smartphone too small, and a netbook too clunky?

Of course, it's all down to personal preferences, and if you're looking to save a few bucks and are happy to read on a netbook, then you go for it - nothing stopping you. Personally, I don't want to read on a device with a keyboard attached any more than I want to read on a device with two screens so I can pretend it's just like a book. But that's just me.

As has been said many times on this thread and others, the iPad isn't trying to be all things to all people; it is what it is, and if that doesn't suit you then that's fine. Maybe someone will write an App that covers some of the functionality you're missing, and maybe they won't if they see those functions as too 'niche' to be worthwhile.

Quote:
This is why I say there's next to no market for this device... There's very, very little room for something like the Ipad.
And as I said earlier, I disagree. I think there are as many people like me (who'll be happy with the device and its functions, and will be familiar with how it works from our experiences with iPod and iPhones) as there are like you, whose needs will clearly be met by something else.

We'll see how it all pans out in the next six weeks or so.

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #132
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
I expect to use an iPad for the things that I find a laptop too large, a smartphone too small, and a netbook too clunky?

Of course, it's all down to personal preferences, and if you're looking to save a few bucks and are happy to read on a netbook, then you go for it - nothing stopping you. Personally, I don't want to read on a device with a keyboard attached any more than I want to read on a device with two screens so I can pretend it's just like a book. But that's just me.
Exactly. I really want something that's basically a digital clipboard or legal pad. Thing and light and comfortable to hold on.

I'm not very interested in the two screen devices as they'll be awkward to hold with one hand and write with the other--they could be folded open I suppose, but then the screen in the back is exposed.

Quote:
As has been said many times on this thread and others, the iPad isn't trying to be all things to all people; it is what it is, and if that doesn't suit you then that's fine. Maybe someone will write an App that covers some of the functionality you're missing, and maybe they won't if they see those functions as too 'niche' to be worthwhile.
Exactly. This, and probably most tablets, aren't going to try to be everything. Tablet PCs have failed as tablets just don't work well as full PCs as you just need a keyboard and mouse for that stuff.

They can work as simplified devices for reading, document markup, light web browsing, watching videos etc. that don't require much text entry. Not everyone will need that, but many will.

Quote:
And as I said earlier, I disagree. I think there are as many people like me (who'll be happy with the device and its functions, and will be familiar with how it works from our experiences with iPod and iPhones) as there are like you, whose needs will clearly be met by something else.
Yep. I don't see the iPad selling like iPods or iPhones. Most everyone listens to music, most everyone needs a cell phone, not everyone needs a tablet.

But I do think there's a big market for tablets--students, academics/researchers, business professionals. Basically anyone that's reading larger format documents, taking notes etc. and wants to go paperless (or use less paper at least).

Though Apple may have misfired a bit by not having stylus markup etc. in this first gen. But maybe apps will fix that in combination with a capacitive stylus. If not, hopefully someone else will get it right as I do think there's a market for these.

Not the same size market as laptops/netbooks etc., but anyone that's working with printouts regularly, or reading large textbooks/technical manuals etc. could find good use for this. As well as people who read newspapers, magazines etc. regularly.

Time will tell, but I think these type of tablets will find their niche and stick around.