Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
edtng2
edtng2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Attention BeBook company: extra features

To Bebook company:
I hope the next update would include the following:
1) be able to install a dictionary (English, for starters) in BeBook. I think people will be willing to pay for this extra feature if cost is an issue for BeBook to do this.
2) "word search", especially when you are working on a large file
3) highlight files
4) unlimited bookmarks
These are some of the wish things I have for BeBook.
These above features are available in Jetbook. The only thing that shifted my decision to get a BeBook today is the multiple formats available.
These extra features would easily make decision-making much much easier for people wanting to buy an ink reader. These will even persuade Sony customers (both loyal and new) to get BeBook quickly.
Any feedback on this?
Thanks.
edtng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffel View Post
I kind of like FBReader to read most of my books. And I like to be able to read Plucker files.

So, I patched the latest firmware from BeBook to include FBReader. (thanks to the previous work from Lunohod and iStealth)

I'm not sure if somebody is interested, but you can download it at :
www.tilient.net/bebook/V3update.zip

This patched firmware opens RTF, TXT, FB2, HTM and CHM with FBReader.

If you want to read plucker files with this firware, you have to apply a small trick. Zip the plucker file and rename it to xxx.fb2.zip. That way it will be opened by FBReader. (E.g. ABook.pdb becomes ABook.fb2.zip)

I guess this will just be a temporary solution for me. OpenInkpot seems to be making huge progress. So - most likely - I will switch to OpenInkpot shortly anyhow.

Wilfried
Does this patched firmware replace support for lit, pdf, etc. that aren't supported by fbreader, or does it only open the supported files in fbreader instead of the default software?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtng2 View Post
These above features are available in Jetbook. The only thing that shifted my decision to get a BeBook today is the multiple formats available.
These extra features would easily make decision-making much much easier for people wanting to buy an ink reader. These will even persuade Sony customers (both loyal and new) to get BeBook quickly.
BeBook can only offer the firmware provided by Jinke. I don't think they can influence the development process much.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #19
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtng2 View Post
To Bebook company:
I hope the next update would include the following:
1) be able to install a dictionary (English, for starters) in BeBook. I think people will be willing to pay for this extra feature if cost is an issue for BeBook to do this.
2) "word search", especially when you are working on a large file
3) highlight files
4) unlimited bookmarks
Actually, the one thing I'd like to see (beyond eliminating the occasional crashes/reboots, of course) is better usability for bookmarks and TOC access in the Mobipocket format. It takes way, way too many key presses to accomplish anything to do with bookmarks or navigating to a chapter. This is felt most markedly compared to formats like fb2, where setting or going to a bookmark is a single key press or two instead of four or so, and where going to a chapter via the TOC takes two key presses compared to a minimum of six for Mobipocket.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
wiffel
wiffel is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Does this patched firmware replace support for lit, pdf, etc. that aren't supported by fbreader, or does it only open the supported files in fbreader instead of the default software?
The patched firmware does not touch LIT, PDF, ... It only opens files in FBReader that are supported.
wiffel is offline   Reply With Quote