Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Kindle Fire HD: was the upgrade worth it?

I had decided early on, after the new Kindle Fire HD came out, that I didn't need to upgrade. I liked my old Kindle Fire just fine and the new one didn't really seem to have that many new features.

However, recently I had the opportunity to have a look at the new Kindle Fire at a Best Buy store and I wanted it immediately. I loved the look and feel of it, and I was particularly thrilled with the new font choices, which alone would almost be enough for me to buy it. I wanted to know, for those of you who have upgraded from the old Kindle Fire to the new HD version: How do you like it compared to your old one? Was it worth the upgrade? How is it in general?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My KFHD7-32 is way ahead of the KF1G in so many ways.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you please elaborate on that? In what ways do you think it has improved?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Could you please elaborate on that? In what ways do you think it has improved?
KFHD7-32 has FOUR times the storage of the KF1G. The following is also true:

1. Much better sound to play MP3 files
2. Much clearer screen display especially valued for "old eyes"
3. Better internet access
4. Faster speed
5. Runs certain apps much better such as Logos Bible
6. Runs movies from Netflix much better
7. Battery life slightly longer for each cycle (approximately 30 minutes)
8. Autobrightness option run through the camera lens
9. Can run Skype usiing the camera lens.
10. Can apply parental controls ONLY to Amazon eBook purchases and still allow internet access (KF1G blocked internet access if one did this.)
11. Favorites available from any screen (KF1G required return to Home Screen for access).
12. EBook recommendations in portrait mode at Home screen can be turned on or off in settings.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-01-2012 at 03:35 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
sneakyspider

Thanks. You've given me a lot to think about. It certainly does sound like a big improvement; right now I'm sort of on the fence but I think I'm leaning towards getting it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am so glad I upgraded. Better sound, better wireless, better browser, and, best of all, tremendous battery life. Lst night I streamed two hour long TV shows, then watched a movie I had downloaded. Still had 50% batter left.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I am so glad I upgraded. Better sound, better wireless, better browser, and, best of all, tremendous battery life. Lst night I streamed two hour long TV shows, then watched a movie I had downloaded. Still had 50% batter left.
Which one did you end up getting? 16GB or 32GB and are you happy with the size you chose.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I now have to make the decision. Upgrade or get the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

I tell you at first I was excited about upgrading then I found out they removed my reading font. I'm pretty sure the pdoc cover issue is still there. If they fix that I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I now have to make the decision. Upgrade or get the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.

I tell you at first I was excited about upgrading then I found out they removed my reading font. I'm pretty sure the pdoc cover issue is still there. If they fix that I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.
Are you set on a 5" screen? Would a 4.5" be acceptable? If so, then you might want to consider getting a Galaxy S II smartphone off-contract. I just bought a brand new SGS2 on eBay for $220. That's only $20 more than a SGP5. In addition to having 16GB onboard (vs 8GB on the SGP5) and more RAM, the SDS2 has a nicer screen, and faster processor, 8MP camera (vs. 3.2 on the SGP5).

I have been grappling with the idea of buying an SGP5. I nearly pulled the trigger a few times, even got as far as standing in the checkout line with one in-hand.

Even if I never plan on using the SGS2 as a phone, it will make a terrific Android-based PMP.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Are you set on a 5" screen? Would a 4.5" be acceptable? If so, then you might want to consider getting a Galaxy S II smartphone off-contract. I just bought a brand new SGS2 on eBay for $220. That's only $20 more than a SGP5. In addition to having 16GB onboard (vs 8GB on the SGP5) and more RAM, the SDS2 has a nicer screen, and faster processor, 8MP camera (vs. 3.2 on the SGP5).

I have been grappling with the idea of buying an SGP5. I nearly pulled the trigger a few times, even got as far as standing in the checkout line with one in-hand.

Even if I never plan on using the SGS2 as a phone, it will make a terrific Android-based PMP.
I plan to get the 5 inch. I think it would be the perfect size for me. I have no use for another phone. I don't need a super duper device just something that will run what I want it to like the Amazon MP3 app, maybe the Kindle, audible and Overdrive apps plus be able to surf when needed. The screen and processor has to be better than my LG Vortex. 8GB is plenty for me. although I plan to add a card to it. It has more ram than my phone and not mention space. I going to have to come up with a solution for the softkeys backlight when using it in the dark other than that I think it will work fine for me. Now if only it played protected WMA.

Squaretrade is giving out 40% percent coupons this month at their Facebook page. I signed up for them in advance so I can get a good ADH plan for cheap.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
I've messed around with the GP5 and have owned a GP 4.2 for a few months. GP 4.2 is great for PDA functions, music, and pretty decent for things like reading, .pdf annotation, Evernote, and a few others. The 4.2 inch screen is perfect for fitting in any pocket. The 5.0 gets a little big for some pockets, at least if you're planning on putting anything else in alongside. The battery life on the 5.0 is reputed to be excellent. Having a GPS is also nice.

If you're thinking of reading books in the dark, keep in mind that the menu and back arrow keys light up when you turn pages, and that is a bit blinding in a dark room. I don't believe this can be changed, but you may want to look into it more. This occurs in the Kindle app, but perhaps it could be avoided in an alternative reader.

Compared with the Nexus 7 and the KF HD, the GP's are a bit overpriced, but the small size and SD card expansion is really handy.

The above post re: the unlocked Galaxy II phone is also good food for thought.
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
I've messed around with the GP5 and have owned a GP 4.2 for a few months. GP 4.2 is great for PDA functions, music, and pretty decent for things like reading, .pdf annotation, Evernote, and a few others. The 4.2 inch screen is perfect for fitting in any pocket. The 5.0 gets a little big for some pockets, at least if you're planning on putting anything else in alongside. The battery life on the 5.0 is reputed to be excellent. Having a GPS is also nice.

If you're thinking of reading books in the dark, keep in mind that the menu and back arrow keys light up when you turn pages, and that is a bit blinding in a dark room. I don't believe this can be changed, but you may want to look into it more. This occurs in the Kindle app, but perhaps it could be avoided in an alternative reader.

Compared with the Nexus 7 and the KF HD, the GP's are a bit overpriced, but the small size and SD card expansion is really handy.

The above post re: the unlocked Galaxy II phone is also good food for thought.
Thanks for your input. Nice to hear from someone who owns one.
I know about the softkeys night light problem. I will find something to mute them if I have to. Being a Woman it will fit in my purse just fine even though finding a pouch for it that is under $20 is nearly impossible so right now I got a gel skin and screen protector from eBay picked out. More likely I will use my KF for night reading. This is more music and listening to audio books player.

I agree the price is a bit much but I don't need another 7 inch tablet already owning the Kindle Fire. The only thing appeals to me is the Immersion reading on the HD. They removed my favorite font and the pdoc cover issue isn't fixed it seems.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is a discussion or two about the SGP5 on the android device forum.

I like the size very much but the screen resolution and PPI made me steer clear of it personally besides the price. $219 now is rather ridiculous.

The screen on the Ipod Touch 5 is fantastic but I'm not sure I like the size. My HTC smartphone is 4.3" but it is a bit too bulky. Guess there isn't anything perfect to tell the truth.

I think Walmart has the SGII without a contract available, at least a week ago I saw the display saying as much. BUT at the nearest store to me, the clerk told me some guy bought all they had left. Guess I know what his plans are for them.

The updrade to the HD was well worth it to me, no regrets at all especially after doing a trade in.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-02-2012 at 10:58 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
There is a discussion or two about the SGP5 on the android device forum.

I like the size very much but the screen resolution and PPI made me steer clear of it personally besides the price. $219 now is rather ridiculous.

The screen on the Ipod Touch 5 is fantastic but I'm not sure I like the size. My HTC smartphone is 4.3" but it is a bit too bulky. Guess there isn't anything perfect to tell the truth.

I think Walmart has the SGII without a contract available, at least a week ago I saw the display saying as much. BUT at the nearest store to me, the clerk told me some guy bought all they had left. Guess I know what his plans are for them.

The updrade to the HD was well worth it to me, no regrets at all especially after doing a trade in.
Yesterday I read all threads I could find, Watched Mobile Tech Review and a few others on YouTube. Amazon has it for $203 right now. So I've just ordered it.

You have to understand. I have a $400 LG Vortex I use more than anything. The screen on it you'd probably hate. 3.2", 320 x 480 pixels with Pixel density of 180 ppi. I've read plenty of books of on it. The problem is it's my phone and lifeline. The battery life sucks if I use it alot. I get maybe a day charge on it and with heavy use that's half a day. I need my phone so the SGP will allow me to enjoy everything I do on my phone without losing battery.

I ordered a nice TPU gel skin in gray for it. It comes with a screen guard. I got it on eBay for $12. So I'm all set. It's my early birthday present. My bday falls right after Black Friday so I always get the big stuff early. I was going to get a KFHD but I can't see giving up $200 for something I already own for a new screen and audible reading the books when I can do that with my Sansa Clip. I'm still eyeing the paperwhite but they are not in stock and I am waiting to see if the QC picks up.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
To the OP:

I upgraded from the Kindle Fire to the Kindle Fire HD, and liked it so much that I sold my iPad (first generation) and have preordered my wife the 8.9" KFHD.

In my opinion, EVERYTHING is better about this upgrade:
*The device itself has a better form factor, and the magnetic case fits like a glove, and is much better than any case they've ever had before. I LOVE just opening it up and it's on, and closing it and it's off.

*The screen is crisper, and because of the way it's built, the text and graphics seem right at the top of the screen instead of seeming to be buried beneath a couple of layers of plastic.

*Everything is faster, and games that I had deleted off the first gen Fire because of lagging work fantastically in the HD.

*The speakers are actually quite good, not just acceptable, but good!

*The biggest reason is intangible: I just enjoy it more, and don't have any complaints about it. I know it's not perfect, but I'm an Apple fanboy, and I sold an iPad to buy a second, larger Kindle Fire HD...that should tell you something right there.

So yes, the upgrade is ABSOLUTELY worth it.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote