Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-28-2004, 03:32 PM   #91
Unregistered
Nameless Being

blah blah

If you have MS Front Page 2003

Open "add/remove programs", select "MS Front Page 2003" and click "change" button. Now chose "Add or Remove Features" and click next , there expand "Office Shared Features" and click on "Microsoft Handwriting Component" and select "Not available" and click "update". If that's no help then expand in the same tree "Alternative User Input" and do the same for "Handwriting" option. I can't now remember which is one of that two guilty because I have them both uninstalled. After this there is no more that WISPTIS.EXE and MS installer.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #92
MoeRL
MoeRL began at the beginning.

What if I don't have Frontpage? Which I don't? I have MS Office 2003.. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, all installed.. but I don't need FrontPage so it's not installed. Any other way/
MoeRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:27 PM   #93
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
MoeRL, try what the previous poster said with your Office installation. See if you can also find the Handwriting Component and try to disable it.

I am sure one of the registry methods mentioned earlier in this thread works, but using the method described here just before would be the "cleaner" solution.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 PM   #94
Unregistered
Nameless Being

9999 GDI Objects

Yeah, this stupid process (Wisptis.exe) is using up 9999 GDI objects and is preventing me from opening any other programs.

MS really needs to work on preventing resource leaks...

In the meantime, I'm going to uninstall the Journal Viewer...
Old 12-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #95
MoeRL
MoeRL began at the beginning.

I thought just a tad further and thought I'd give you this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=off2003

Whoa.. check it:

Quote:
This article describes how to turn off speech recognition and handwriting recognition.

Microsoft Office contains a speech recognition feature and a handwriting recognition feature. You can use speech recognition to dictate text to any Office program. You can also use your voice to select menu items, toolbar items, dialog box items, and task pane items. (You can use your voice to select dialog box items and task pane items only in U.S. English language versions of Office.) Speech recognition is installed as part of a Typical or Complete installation of Office. If you perform a Custom installation, Office Setup installs the features as part of the Alternative User Input feature in the Office Shared Components.

You can use handwriting recognition to type text in any Microsoft Office program by writing instead of typing. You can write by using a mouse or by using a third-party handwriting input device. Office programs can automatically convert this input to typed text. In Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook (if Word is your e-mail editor), the input can be left as an "ink object" in your own handwriting. Handwriting recognition also supports a drawing function, so that you can include hand-drawn sketches in your Word document.

After you install Office and then you turn on speech recognition and handwriting recognition, these features become part of the operating system. You cannot remove these features, even with the Maintenance Mode of Office Setup.
But of course, with the method described on that page, it can be done

Last edited by MoeRL; 12-11-2004 at 01:08 AM.
MoeRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 AM   #96
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Talking Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for the script. Worked well on my XP Pro OS and solved the annoying problem WISPTIS caused with my tablet.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #97
Unregistered
Nameless Being

How to get rid of it easily!

Sorry but this solution does NOT work.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:51 AM   #98
Unregistered
Nameless Being

I FOUND IT RUNNING AFTER I INSTALLED MSN 7 BETA,AND I HAVEN'T NOTICED IT BEFORE.

HOW SHOULD IT UNISTALLED IN THIS CASE?

I JUST SEARCH IT AND GET ONE .PF FILE DELETED.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #99
ProgrammerDude
Nameless Being

Exclamation Please don't add any more waste-of-time replies

This is for all you guys who first checks the end of the thread: here's a summmary referring the best posts.

- First of all this problem applies to all NT versions as well, like Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 Pro

- Every type of solution possible is posted at least twice, and often discussed endlessly

- As usual in a long thread(98 posts/7 pages before me!) some people don't bother to read it through anymore,
in stead they add their own 'unique' solution. Post #85/page 6 is a hilarious example: he really thinks he's the first
with that solution, while in reality, the very same solution is described in posts #21/page 2(!) and #38/page 3...
Still, the arguments for this solution put forward in post #85/page 6 are excellent. Read them and ponder.

1. Solution type 1: *RECOMMENDED*
Represented by post #85/page 6, which has an excellent summary of the arguments for this kind of solution.
Post #53/page 4 also points out what so many seem to forget: that there might actually be situations where
you need to load he wisptis.exe, even on a non-tablet pc because it interacts with the mouse as well...
(see post #1/Page 1!), and with this solution it's done in a breeze.

2. Solution type 2: A good alternative, effectively the same as solution type 1
The general idea is to keep the wisptis.exe from loading without messing with uninstalls/registry hacks,
which is exactly what solution type 1 does(read post #85/page 6 if you don't understand why this is the best approach).
However there are countless other ways of achieving that, and this solution type is probably a more widely useful
approach: the zero bite file in solution type 1 did after all require some specialized know-how.
Represented by posts #50/page 4(splendid thinking), #80/page 6(a bit messy though).
I'm sure that many of you can come up with a couple of more ways, but PLEASE, don't add them here!
We all get the hang of it...

3. Solution type 3: The DIY-home carpentry solutions including all kinds of uninstalls/registry hacks
If you don't get by now why this is *NOT* the recommended way to go, I'm not gonna try and stop you.
You just go right ahead and try whatever fits your personal taste.
Though I do suspect that you really have to much time to kill(like me writing this post - phew )

Conclusion
----------
This thread was viewed over 90'000 times by thread #82/page 6, and now it's exactly 115,687...
Even if people surely will keep reading it, I hope you all agree that what we DON'T need is more of these
'great job' comments or DIY-home carpentry solutions, like endless registry key references
(they never have, and never will, always be exactly the same for all versions of Windows - OR Office - go figure if U
really think that's the way to go when you're advising EVERYONE to do it your way when there ARE controlled ways of
fixing this problem - I KNOW it worked for you, but that does NOT mean that it's a great idea to post it here...).

PS. There are also a couple of nice tips about tools in this post, but I'm not gonna spoil all your fun finding it
yourselves - but I could mention that there is a reference to a tool that disables almost all of the useless
plug-ins that come with Acrobat Reader 6 - so you dont have do downgrade...
DS.

So, in hopes that this is - the last - post regarding how to actually fix THIS problem...

Bye, bye
Old 04-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #100
ProgrammerDude
Nameless Being

Post vbs script for Solution type 1 (post #85/page 6)

This works on win2k. Edit to fit your Windows directory structure. Save to "Disable-Enable wisptis.exe.vbs". Pls note U must first create the zero byte file (wisptis.exe.zero)

'Disable-Enable wisptis.exe

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Written by ProgrammerDude
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

subject ="Pen input device"
pdir ="C:\winnt\system32\"
pgm ="wisptis.exe"
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If Not fso.FileExists(pdir +pgm +".disabled") Then
Set file = fso.GetFile(pdir +pgm)
file.Name = pgm +".disabled"
Set file = fso.GetFile(pdir +pgm +".zero")
file.Name = pgm
MsgBox subject +" has been disabled." _
, vbExclamation +vbSystemModal, " " +subject +" has been disabled"
Else
On Error Resume Next
Set file = fso.GetFile(pdir +pgm)
file.Name = pgm +".zero"
On Error Goto 0
Set file = fso.GetFile(pdir +pgm +".disabled")
file.Name = pgm
MsgBox subject +" is enabled." _
, vbInformation +vbSystemModal, " " +subject +" is enabled"
End If
Old 06-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #101
BizMarkUK
BizMarkUK began at the beginning.

Device: Xperia X10
You know, for the past year or two I've tried in vain to find out what's been slowing my PC down more and more as time goes on. I was starting to think memory chips were failing, or my HDDs were failing. Or maybe that McAfee SecurityCenter was working overtime.

After many times of looking in the Task Manager to check the usual culprits, things like mcshield.exe would only report high CPU hog-rates at sporadic intervals. Same with everything else.

Whilst getting a "low on virtual memory" report for the hundredth time in a month, with hardly anything running, and checking on Task Manager today, I noticed this pesky WISPTIS.EXE showing "00" in the CPU% column, but always hovering one or two items above the tasks showing an actual number.

At first I did a search on the net just to see what it was (in case it was spyware), not because I thought it was hogging resources. After finding this thread, I thought perhaps this might have been the cause of my sluggish performance after all.

I ran the "unreg.cmd" file and, although I haven't checked to see if it will get reinstalled by anything, I noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement. Whilst the unreg was happening, my HDD was accessing like crazy, like it has done for so long for apparently no reason. After running it, no more, and everything is responding like lightning.

So at first glance it would appear this process is indeed very destructive to a Windows PC's performance. I just hope it stays this way!

Thanks to the guys who found out how to get rid of this crud.
BizMarkUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #102
officeuser778
officeuser778 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here's more complete way to get rid of this hidden feature of Office 2003: from command line, run this:

Code:
msiexec /i {90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} REMOVE=Excel_WISPFiles,Word_WISPFiles,PPTNonBootFiles,WISPFiles,XDOCSNonBootFiles,WISPHidden
(verify product code with your installation, it may be different for different Office products).
officeuser778 is offline   Reply With Quote