Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Jambeetle
Jambeetle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650/BC, Kogan
Hi Folks

I got my first E-reader a few weeks ago; a Kogan, and I've had so much fun with it I decided to upgrade. So this week I splashed out and got myself a new Sony PRS-650.

As a big Sci-Fi fan, I was very pleased to find a copy of Rudy Rucker's 'Ware Tetralogy' completely free (legally), which seems a most appropriate first set of ebooks.

The Kogan is a good little unit. (Available in Australia only afaik). There's a few little annoyances, but the important things (good screen, many formats) are all good. But the Sony is much better; Touch screen is wonderful - it responds to the lightest of touches; build quality is exceptional, and page turns are really fast.

Only thing is I found myself going from a Sans font on the Kogan which I have got used to, to a Serif on the Sony. I'm surprised how annoying I found this... So now I've just given myself a crash course in epub editing and setting up custom fonts, entirely thanks to these forums! And now it's all good - I can make these books look however I want! Very pleased with myself!

So.. Thanks! and Hi. I'll probably hang around here a bit - you seem a nice bunch of folks.
Jambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, jambeetle.

For more free books, check out our own library, the books are nicely formatted by our own members.....you can sort by genre, author, and format.

Click on the link.......enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Jambeetle. I love my Sony, too, but we bought a Kogan for one of our Australian authors a week or two ago. She's delighted with it. The only hitch she mentioned was the awkward positioning of the left-hand page-turn button. Seems she's got used to that, too now, but I reckon it's something that may well be fixed when there's a KoganII. Good to hear you're similarly happy. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! Congrats on the new Sony :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Yes ! We bunch up well, here
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Jambeetle
Jambeetle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650/BC, Kogan
Thanks for all the welcomes!
Jambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello and welcome. Enjoy your new ereader.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambeetle View Post
I got my first E-reader a few weeks ago; a Kogan, and I've had so much fun with it I decided to upgrade. So this week I splashed out and got myself a new Sony PRS-650.

As a big Sci-Fi fan, I was very pleased to find a copy of Rudy Rucker's 'Ware Tetralogy' completely free (legally), which seems a most appropriate first set of ebooks.

The Kogan is a good little unit. (Available in Australia only afaik). There's a few little annoyances, but the important things (good screen, many formats) are all good. But the Sony is much better; Touch screen is wonderful - it responds to the lightest of touches; build quality is exceptional, and page turns are really fast.

Only thing is I found myself going from a Sans font on the Kogan which I have got used to, to a Serif on the Sony. I'm surprised how annoying I found this... So now I've just given myself a crash course in epub editing and setting up custom fonts, entirely thanks to these forums! And now it's all good - I can make these books look however I want! Very pleased with myself!

So.. Thanks! and Hi. I'll probably hang around here a bit - you seem a nice bunch of folks.
Hi, and welcome to MobileRead..

I also have a Kogan, but I have no end of trouble with ADE... I were going to buy a Sony 650, but since ADE is giving me so much grief, I might just stay away from it.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome I think that's one of the strong cases for ebooks - customers can customize them.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'Day Jambeetle and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote