Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #76
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
we expect the devices on October 1st.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That soon! Excellent - thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #78
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It looks like the Irex Shop is shipping the 1000S right now.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #79
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
hm.. cross/double post from the announcement thread

Resolution: 1024 x 1280 pixels, 160dpi
CPU: Freescale i.MX31L processor (which appears to be designed to work at a speed >=532MHz)
128MB RAM (up from 400mhz 64mb)

Out of box file format support: PDF, PowerPoint, HTML, .txt, Mobipocket, JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP
No ePub ("yet?")

With Regard to the "Touchscreen" stuff:

It has "Navigation keys" that respond to being lightly touched, with optical feedback to show you that you managed to hit the key correctly. doubt it will have more than that by way of touch screen, since i don't think the Wacom and touchscreen can be combined in the same screen. (sort of like the Samsung u700 phone has)

New(?): Text searching in PDFs (with built-in keypad+stylus, so likely not in 1000)

(From a review):the OS has been redesigned, and it has a "Low power consumption mode that disables the CPU"
Responsiveness of the OS has been "greatly improved"
(maybe that's what gets you 60-70hrs from a 24h battery life.. doubt it'll work i.c.w. the Stylus, though.)

Also, the casing's strength has been improved, and you can drop it (if you're lucky) on a hard surface without necessarily breaking it.

Companion software/thing itself installs a printer driver that allows you to print to (a directory on) the Reader

Last edited by zerospinboson; 09-22-2008 at 09:55 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #80
yellow_feet
yellow_feet began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
I wonder how the rear end of the reader is shaped. I liked the Iliad design with this small ridge at the back which you could grab with your fingers, in order not to have to hold the device with your thumb on the front of the device, but on the side. Unfortunately though, seeing its thickness, I doubt this will be the case.
yellow_feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #81
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
nope, 5 to 10 business days. So be ready to wait till october 1st
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #82
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Here are a few more images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1000_corner.png
Views:	358
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	16434   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1000s_back.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	16435   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr1000_side.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	16436  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #83
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Must....resist....urge....

Seriously though, I'll probably end up getting the SW at some point. But I've got to save a lot of money before then.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #84
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod.... I want one now now now

Im so badly e-ink addicted. Arg.

Tribble: Is the white of the screen really so bright as in the pictures you posted? Is it vizplex or even newer?

One thing that scares me: Will the screen break even more easily as iLiads one?

And I ask myself if I shall be pleased by the touch buttons. I already am stressed by randomly clicking buttons on the iLiad....

Oh finally!
Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 09-22-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's going to be interesting to see how robust this thing is. With a glass substrate and a screen that size, we could be seeing a LOT of broken screens. I hope the casing is sufficiently rigid to make flexure of the screen difficult.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #86
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
nope, 5 to 10 business days. So be ready to wait till october 1st
If they aren't shipping yet, then they should say that on their website.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #87
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Tribble: Is the white of the screen really so bright as in the pictures you posted? Is it vizplex or even newer?
It looks quite bright. Though its the same material as is used in the iLiad. But the controller is new, and maybe the new waveforms help. But mainly i think its due to the larger screen and the collor of the device, that makes it seem so bright.
Quote:
One thing that scares me: Will the screen break even more easily as iLiads one?
Its supposed to be more resistant to mechanical force than the iLiad. But I wouldnt test it, if i were you
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #88
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
If they aren't shipping yet, then they should say that on their website.
They do. it says: Ships within 5 to 10 business days.

it could be more prominent though.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #89
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
They do. it says: Ships within 5 to 10 business days.

it could be more prominent though.
Irex goofed on this one. That disclaimer is only on the product detail page. I didn't look at that page before I bought the Reader 1000S. I clicked on the buy button on the previous page. There was no mention of a delay.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I thought that you weren't a fan of eInk screens, Nate. Don't you prefer LCD?