Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: kindle
Reports in Sigil

Does anything look wrong with this picture?

http://postimg.org/image/6hgtb3pvd/

I'm getting a hyperlink not resolved warning and I think the answer to it lies in the report I ran on Sigil but I don't understand how to read it.
oiver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
you seem to have some sort of link ON Quickmark
There is no file (and Anchor) assigned

Search all for 'Quickmark' and look at the code (and fix it )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@oiver - IMO the calibre book editor Links Report is 'better' than Sigil's.

The calibre book editor is implemented as 'stand alone' program so it can be used without using the GUI library manager (although it must be installed). On Windows its at C:\Program Files(or Program Files (X86) for 32bit version)\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe - not sure where it lives on Linux or Mac. There's also a 'portable' version of calibre for Windows.

Pity the calibre editor and viewer aren't published as a separate package

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What else does Calibre Editor do for you? I've never tried it. (Sorry, OP, don't mean to hijack your thread!)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
What else does Calibre Editor do for you? I've never tried it. (Sorry, OP, don't mean to hijack your thread!)
@Notjohn - its v. similar to Sigil, not a big learning curve, one notable exception is that it doesn't have (nor will it ever have, says Kovid Goyal) WYSIWG editing - ie Book View.

Has a couple of features not currently in Sigil such as checkpointing, a book compare tool, a 'thing' called Live CCS. It edits AZW3 and EPUB2. You can import DOCX and HTML files. It's 'file' handling is a wee bit different to Sigil.

Here's the doco Editing E-books. If you want to take a test drive and you use Windows I suggest 'install' portable calibre ==>> Download Calibre Portable. Then drop a test epub on <whereever>\Calibre Portable\Calibre\ebook-edit.exe.

I don't do any heavy duty editing. I mainly use Sigil because I know it and I have a few 'customisations' that I have no interest in 'porting'.

BR
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NJ
I LIKE the Spell checker better
I LIKE the 'bug check' offers (to fix) solutions for many errors, but for some reason does not offer 'remove this item' and only offers the Bulk Tool 'remove All Unused....'

I prefer Sigils Clip Editor (Menu driven) over the Snippet (User typing a sequence)
I LIKE that the Calibre Snippets are context assignable (I have CSS snippets as well as HTML code blocks or wraps. I use Sigils Clips to 'buildup' search or replace terms (for when a presaved search does not exist)

Note:Some of this preference may be due to MY failure to understand the generation and use. AND that there is no easy way (even semi automated) to import into Calibre ANY of the Saved Clips or Searches. Semi-automated means Show the Sigil version on 1 side (select from) move to Calibre Map valid sections and require the user to fill in the remaining blanks, correct (red) trapped syntax differences
Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@oiver - IMO the calibre book editor Links Report is 'better' than Sigil's.

The calibre book editor is implemented as 'stand alone' program so it can be used without using the GUI library manager (although it must be installed). On Windows its at C:\Program Files(or Program Files (X86) for 32bit version)\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe - not sure where it lives on Linux or Mac. There's also a 'portable' version of calibre for Windows.
There is no shortcut for Mac AFAIK, a limitation of the .app bundle format. At least, you can't have app drawer icons, and you'd have to manually make symlinks and/or GUI launchers.
But on linux it is available symlinked as `/usr/bin/ebook-edit` (in PATH).

Quote:
Pity the calibre editor and viewer aren't published as a separate package

BR
No point -- they share a common intertwined codebase. Separate packages would have to include most of the same code anyway, and even that is after some brave soul refactored it to separate them all. There are no significant gains over reimplementing fom scratch.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No point -- they share a common intertwined codebase. Separate packages would have to include most of the same code anyway, and even that is after some brave soul refactored it to separate them all. There are no significant gains over reimplementing fom scratch.
There speaks a true geek. Most ex-geeks and non-geeks have a different perception of reality I'm afraid.

For Windows:-

Why not just repackage what already exists. Don't ship outer components... i.e. the ones that end up in the main install folder... that are not needed by the editor and viewer programs. But probably leave the inner folders... ie DLLs, Microsoft.VC90.CRT, plugins2, qt_plugins and resources... as is, which should make it easier to upgrade the 'Calibre EditView' package to the 'Calibre Library Manager' package.

Ideally one would probably tweak the editor to disable the update metadata preference if calibre.exe not found.

And create a couple of whatevers (shortcuts, symlinks, aliases) to launch the viewer and editor.

Guess what, I already do it for three writer/micro publisher friends who don't need the library manager and who are 'paranoid' about having s/w on their computers that they don't use.

I use the portable package as the base, after removing what's not needed, I create and upload a zip to mediafire and send them the link, they know how to unpack the zip and 'deal' with it manually. I only make a new package if there are substantive changes to viewer or editor.

And no, I won't make it available to anyone else as I am not prepared to support it for anyone else.

How did I determine what to leave out - intuition, bit of experimenting, aided and abetted by Kovid's (usually) common-sense naming of things

BR
Old 04-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

A W7 Calibre install is 192MB
Why go to all the work to create and validate every week just so someone can save 100MB???
Just don't USE the calibre.exe part. Kovid won't care
Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A W7 Calibre install is 192MB
Why go to all the work to create and validate every week just so someone can save 100MB???
Just don't USE the calibre.exe part. Kovid won't care
Maybe Kovid wont but... three [of my] writer/micro publisher friends who don't need the library manager and who are 'paranoid' about having s/w on their computers that they don't use... do care. And I care about them.

Has nothing whatsoever to do with disk space, when did I say it was. Besides they each have 256Gb SSD system drives, of which probably 200GB is free! It's about people's perceptions, emotions, wants, fears, loves, hates...

If a friend says to me 'I wish I could have the top brick off the chimney'; then, providing that brick won't harm them, or its lack won't harm the chimney, I climb the chimney to get the brick, I don't gainsay them by telling they shouldn't wish for the brick

BR
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, if you feel that level of kindness, far be it from me to stop you. All I can say is, you are a really good friend.

I am pretty curious about how exactly this paranoia works. What do they think the extra MB is doing anyway?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
If a friend says to me 'I wish I could have the top brick off the chimney'; then, providing that brick won't harm them, or its lack won't harm the chimney, I climb the chimney to get the brick, I don't gainsay them by telling they shouldn't wish for the brick

BR
They're not asking for the top brick.

They're asking for middle and bottom bricks. That makes releases a game of Jenga.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, if you feel that level of kindness, far be it from me to stop you. All I can say is, you are a really good friend.

I am pretty curious about how exactly this paranoia works. What do they think the extra MB is doing anyway?
One of them got badly burnt by malware that used an old version of something that shall remain nameless - which they didn't use - as a vector. They didn't lose their creative work, that's backed up every which way, but they did lose business records, tax, grant applications etc. He clicked on an attachment in an email from his brother, then things started to go haywire (popups everywhere) and in trying to 'fix it' he did even more damage.

So lessons - don't blithely click on attachments, if something goes haywire then be careful if you try to fix it, you might make things worse, don't have software lying around that you don't use and/or keep up to date. Backup everything - even the adminstrivia.

Person I'm writing of suspects he lost a $20,000 grant because he lost his almost complete application; he had to redo it in a hurry. Whether that's true doesn't matter, that's his perception and hence his reality. And from thus stems his paranoia. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, means I won't have to spend 2-3 days putting humpty dumpty's computer back together again - I hope.

My neighbour just knocked on my door with a plate of warm courgette, and aubergine fritters, some flat bread and bowl of yoghurt. All home made including bread and yoghurt - now that's kindness

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-24-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
They're not asking for the top brick.

They're asking for middle and bottom bricks. That makes releases a game of Jenga.
Maybe "the top brick off the chimney" is not as widely known as I thought - my family used a lot as in "what do you expect, the top...". Dates from 1819 in writing, so its borderline regency cant, basically means asking for something out of reach, unreasonable, impossible. Ngram reports little used since the 1940's.

If someone asked me for the bottom brick they wouldn't get it - might result in the chimney tumbling down... poor chimney... on their head... poor them

OK, so now I know what a Jenga is, not a bruvver of a Ninja.

BR
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #15
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One of them got badly burnt by malware that used an old version of something that shall remain nameless - which they didn't use - as a vector. They didn't lose their creative work, that's backed up every which way, but they did lose business records, tax, grant applications etc. He clicked on an attachment in an email from his brother, then things started to go haywire (popups everywhere) and in trying to 'fix it' he did even more damage.

So lessons - don't blithely click on attachments, if something goes haywire then be careful if you try to fix it, you might make things worse, don't have software lying around that you don't use and/or keep up to date. Backup everything - even the adminstrivia.

Person I'm writing of suspects he lost a $20,000 grant because he lost his almost complete application; he had to redo it in a hurry. Whether that's true doesn't matter, that's his perception and hence his reality. And from thus stems his paranoia. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, means I won't have to spend 2-3 days putting humpty dumpty's computer back together again - I hope.
Sounds like an obsession for making proper backups would be more useful to him!

This is like the person who, after discovering that medicine and doctors are fallible, shifts allegiance completely to quackery. I know a couple...
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote