Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The CSS class WILL center the text, however, you have to DEFINE the class before it is usable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And link the CSS file to the appropriate (x)html files. So they know they're supposed to governed by it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: kindle
WOW!!! I never knew you had to link the css, I figured it just knew to use the css.

It Works and on top of that all my paragraph indents are there instead of everything looking justified.

I will take a look through the Quick and Dirty tut and save it will all my other tuts.

Thanks yet again
oiver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Now you're cooking with gas!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is a second advantage to using: <h2 class="optional">Introduction</h2>
Lime green on a grey background is hard to read. If you really want people to read your post, please change the lime to a color that works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #21
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiver55 View Post
I have done as thou has commanded.

I put this code in
Code:
  <p class="center"><b>INTRODUCTION</b></p>
And when I switch to book View mode the text is aligned to the left but when I now select the text and click on the center button, its centered and the code looks like this

Code:
 <p class="center" style="text-align: center;"><b>INTRODUCTION</b></p>
Before, that style tag wasn't there. I had the expectation that p class="center" would actually center the text but it seems like the style tag is whats actually doing it
Yes, Sigil will do that if you add a manual styling to a defined style, in this case adding the boldface tag. I don't know if there's a reason for this, but anyhow it does no harm.

Sometimes Sigil will also add a fresh new style to the CSS to cover just such a situation. Again, no harm done, and indeed there may be a good reason for it.

Sigil is a wonderful software, and the help on this forum is likewise without price, if sometimes over one's head.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: kindle
I have a new question but I'm going to start a new thread as it will be a new topic. Thanks for all the help
oiver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Oliver, your basic problem is piling in-line styles on top of the style sheet. See Diap's first reply for the way out of the wilderness. Instead of

<p align="center"><b>INTRODUCTION</b></p>

You can use

<p class="center"><b>INTRODUCTION</b></p>

and get the exact result you are seeking. p class calls upon the appropriate paragraph style in the style sheet.

However, I probably would have used:

<h2>Introduction</h2>

instead. If you refer to the style sheet, you'll see that that would yield a centered and italicized (and effectively boldfaced) heading half again as large as the body text, which IMHO is more desirable than all caps. Or if you want a smaller heading, you could substitute h3.
I feel compelled to note that heading styles should NOT be used in lieu of properly-formatted STYLING. Headers are not for stylistic purposes. I have seen this used, randomly and incorrectly, in far too many eBooks. It's particularly rampant in books that have (obviously) been coded in India, who fall prey to this particular wrongness.

Headers are not for looks. Headers are structural. ELEMENTS are structural. A word, for example, is subordinate to a sentence; a sentence is subordinate to a paragraph; the paragraph to the first heading in which it is enclosed, etc. This is one of the first things that Cap taught me, way back, when I first ventured into ePUBs, rather than MOBI. Id' used header styling (for something, it's been so many years, I can't recall now--pre-2010, for a certainty) and I was sternly lectured. Rightly so.

Headers tell documents--I don't care whether we're talking about Word, LibreOffice, OO, Scrivener, Bob's Big Word Processor, ePUBs, MOBI's, etc., that this particular element defines a structural part of a document. An H2, for example, is not necessarily smaller than an H1; but it is subordinate to it in the structure of the document. You can make an H2 LOOK any way you want it to; you could make it twice the size of an H1, for that matter.

Do not think about how something LOOKS, particularly when you use headings; think about what it IS. The SELECTOR (p, h1, blockquote) is what something IS, and how it relates, structurally, to the entire file/document. The DECLARATION (color:red;text-align:center to mooch from w3schools, tells the document what the ELEMENT looks like.

SEE? This is a PARAGRAPH, no matter how BIG IT IS.

PLEASE, oiver: do not use headings, blockquotes, etc., in lieu of proper styling, just to achieve an appearance. That's incorrect coding.

</lecture>

Quote:
I think you need to get a basic understanding of HTML and CSS.

Take a read through Pablo's My Quick and Dirty ePub Tutorial. (While it covers an older version of Sigil, the basics are still applicable).
^^^ + 100

Is there any damned way we can make this STICKY, at the top of the forum? Or move these "I don't know anything about html/css/ePUB" threads to the Workshop, where they belong? That's where folks ought to be, who don't know anything about HTML or CSS. It's not banishment; I'm not trying to be mean, or cranky; it's just that they're likely to get more help, over there, than here, as that's what it's for, and the posters there are looking to answer just these types of questions. I've just spent 30 minutes reading through the Sigil forums, and about 80% of the new(ish) posts have NOTHING to do with Sigil; they're basic HTML/CSS/how-to-make-an-ePUB type questions. I mean, one of them was a question about tables, and it turned out the poster's CSS was all Calibre classes!

Ducks, my one Twoo wuv, perhaps you could consider a sticky, telling folks to take beginner questions to the beginner's forum? ?????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Is there any damned way we can make this STICKY, at the top of the forum? Or move these "I don't know anything about html/css/ePUB" threads to the Workshop, where they belong? That's where folks ought to be, who don't know anything about HTML or CSS. It's not banishment; I'm not trying to be mean, or cranky; it's just that they're likely to get more help, over there, than here, as that's what it's for, and the posters there are looking to answer just these types of questions. I've just spent 30 minutes reading through the Sigil forums, and about 80% of the new(ish) posts have NOTHING to do with Sigil; they're basic HTML/CSS/how-to-make-an-ePUB type questions. I mean, one of them was a question about tables, and it turned out the poster's CSS was all Calibre classes!

Ducks, my one Twoo wuv, perhaps you could consider a sticky, telling folks to take beginner questions to the beginner's forum? ?????

Hitch
We have a beginners forum?

IMHO xHTML/CSS questions probably belong in EPUB and it would not hurt for THAT to have a 'beginners' sub forum
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
We have a beginners forum?

IMHO xHTML/CSS questions probably belong in EPUB and it would not hurt for THAT to have a 'beginners' sub forum
We have a Workshop forum. Isn't that the Beginners forum?

ETA: the description/sub-heading for the Workshop says:

Quote:
Scanning your first book? Need general conversion tips? Or just confused over the plethora of formats? Let us know and we'll do our best to help
Am I dense, or doesn't that sound like the Beginners forum?

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 04-14-2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added my ETA: comment.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We have a Workshop forum. Isn't that the Beginners forum?

ETA: the description/sub-heading for the Workshop says:

Am I dense, or doesn't that sound like the Beginners forum?

Hitch
Color ME dense
Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Headers are not for looks. Headers are structural. ELEMENTS are structural. A word, for example, is subordinate to a sentence; a sentence is subordinate to a paragraph; the paragraph to the first heading in which it is enclosed, etc. This is one of the first things that Cap taught me, way back, when I first ventured into ePUBs, rather than MOBI. Id' used header styling (for something, it's been so many years, I can't recall now--pre-2010, for a certainty) and I was sternly lectured. Rightly so.

Headers tell documents--I don't care whether we're talking about Word, LibreOffice, OO, Scrivener, Bob's Big Word Processor, ePUBs, MOBI's, etc., that this particular element defines a structural part of a document. An H2, for example, is not necessarily smaller than an H1; but it is subordinate to it in the structure of the document. You can make an H2 LOOK any way you want it to; you could make it twice the size of an H1, for that matter.
do not use headings, blockquotes, etc., in lieu of proper styling, just to achieve an appearance. That's incorrect coding.
So true, so true. There is a big difference between structure and styling. If anything, I feel there is too few structure option for eBooks (although DocBook is way too much).
That is also part of the reason why I detest the <em> and <strong> tags over the <i> and <b> tags. The one is about structure, the other about styling and mean something different. They are not the same! I don't mind the tags themselves, but their incorrect usage.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #28
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is also part of the reason why I detest the <em> and <strong> tags over the <i> and <b> tags. The one is about structure, the other about styling and mean something different. They are not the same! I don't mind the tags themselves, but their incorrect usage.
Bravo!

(Actually, I mind the tags, and I never use them. It's <i> and <b> for me!)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
So true, so true. There is a big difference between structure and styling. If anything, I feel there is too few structure option for eBooks (although DocBook is way too much).
+1
Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #30
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
They are not the same! I don't mind the tags themselves, but their incorrect usage.
I for one use <em> and <strong> in place of <i> and <b> because of advice on this forum a couple years ago. I simply put "em {font-style:italic}" and "strong {font-weight:bold}" in my css.

I understand that it equates to the same thing, but using the <em> and <strong> tags is structurally correct at the same time allowing me to style them with css. The argument being that I could easily change the style by changing the css. I know that the vast majority of ePub 2 devices default to italic/bold, but if I wanted to enable options for an audible device...ie <em> = slightly louder volume (or something) then I would have to go and change all of those <i> tags if I had used them since they are a purely visual style. Also if I have a word that needs to be emphasized within a paragraph of italic text, then the emphasis would have to be styled differently than just <i>...I could use "em em {font-style:normal; font-weight:600}" (or something).

Also according to the W3 Schools website:
Quote:
Tips and Notes

Note: According to the HTML 5 specification, the <b> tag should be used as a LAST resort when no other tag is more appropriate. The HTML 5 specification states that headings should be denoted with the <h1> to <h6> tags, emphasized text should be denoted with the <em> tag, important text should be denoted with the <strong> tag, and marked/highlighted text should use the <mark> tag.
Tip: You can also use the CSS "font-weight" property to set bold text.
Is there any particular reason we SHOULD use <b> and <i>?...other than it being fewer characters...I have heard the mantra many times "Structure in the html, style in the css." and <b>/<i> seem to be purely style...which shouldn't go in the html. Please correct me if I am wrong...I'm still a padiwon and bow to the masters!

Last edited by Turtle91; 04-15-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
proofread, validator error