Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's fine... but a DE fit to smaller devices, to read ePub on PDAs, phones, etc, would be nice.
We're working on it
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's fine... but a DE fit to smaller devices, to read ePub on PDAs, phones, etc, would be nice.
They have announced plans to do exactly that. Versions are in the works for eBook readers as well. Sony and Astak are both working on versions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #18
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
Foxit user here as well. If you're thinking of downloading a new pdf read, give foxit a try.
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 AM   #19
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
And there I was hoping that Adobe could learn ... but no. Still no Linux-release parallel to Mac/Windows.
Oh well, plenty of alternatives on Linux.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I really like pdfs, however I never understood the bloatware-iness of adobe. I mean storing a document with formatation and displaying it on screen like it is printed doesn't sound that of a technical fuzzy-wuzz adobe does around their software.

Especially working with latex, ghostscript, the aladin package, etc. I never really understood how pdfs/ghostscript works, but its always some strange trouble requiring strange tinkering...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #21
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Previous versions of Adobe Reader have claimed to load faster. In practice this has always been achieved by pre-loading most of it when you start windows......so I'm dubious about this new claim......

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelS View Post
Previous versions of Adobe Reader have claimed to load faster. In practice this has always been achieved by pre-loading most of it when you start windows......so I'm dubious about this new claim......
It still does, running a file called \Program Files\Adobe Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe from the HK Local Machine Registry Hive.

That said, it loads a lot faster here (about 4 seconds for a first run, down to about 2 seconds once cached) than Adobe 8 did. (My desktop is a Win XP Pro SP3 machine with 1GB of RAM and multiple 7200 RPM drives.)

I haven't tested it without the pre-load. I can afford the required resources to use that.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe reader