Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Writers Tools of the Trade: The Event Toolbox

I originally posted this on my blog as a way to help other writers. I'm interested in what you guys think of this idea. I'm also hoping it helps some of you who go out and do events such as signings or conventions.

========================================
One thing many writers don't think about when they start doing signings, conventions, and other events where they will be selling their books, is that they need a specific number of tools to do it right. Another is that writers don't realize that technically you're in business for yourself. IE, self employed. Yes, as much as you may love your job as a writer, it's also a business and a job. If you love it enough it may never seem like a job, but it's absolutely a business no matter which way you shake it, and you have to treat it as such, always ensuring that you take the right steps to be successful in everything you do.

Events are one important aspect of this. With signings, conventions and other events, you're out in the public marketing not just your book, but yourself as well. Contrary to popular belief, the writer plays a HUGE part in the success of a book. As with any business, the image you portray to others is 90% of the sale in many cases. Right now I'm not going to go into the details of what methods will be best for you to self market your book at events or other places, as I plan to do that in another blog post.

This is strictly about the tools you will need for doing those events to make them as absolutely successful as possible. This, is about your "Writer's Toolbox". It's a small collection of items that every writer should have if they are to ever do any kind of signing, convention, trade show, or other event where they will be on hand directly selling their books to the general public.

The Toolbox
Here's my list for a basic toolbox. This list is compiled based on what I have learned, through experience, are the best tools to have with you when you do events. While the items in the box will work for the majority of writers, some of you may find that a slight variation of this kit works better for you. If it does, then by all means make adjustments in the design to meet your needs. Initially though, start out with the list I have, then through trail and experience, find out what works and adjust accordingly.

Parts List
2 black 10ft linen table cloths
2 8.5x11" Acrylic single sheet display
2 8.5x11" Author Posters
3 3.5x5" Acrylic card display
Several packs 3x5 cards
5 Book Stands
Scissors
Duck or packing tape
3 Business Card Holders
250+ Business Cards
3-5 Plastic garbage bags
Sticky Labels
1 roll string
3+ ink pens
1 Sharpe
Snack Food
25 quart plastic snap top storage box

Explanation of Parts
Ok, now that I've listed all the items you'll need in your kit, allow me to explain the parts that go into the kit so you have a better idea of why I suggested these. First off, the table cloths. Anytime you go to an event, you may find yourself behind a standard 2ftx8ft banquet table. This is the typical size table used at most events. A 10ft table cloth (or 54" x 120" as it's often listed) will fit this perfectly. This will provide you with a table covering (which will make your setup look nicer), and it'll make your books stand out.

You won't use this at every event, as it's not practical to use at some locations, but for the vast majority of them, you will use this. So why two tablecloths? Well, one, stuff gets dirty. If you're at an event and one of your table cloths gets dirty, you can swap it out with the spare and you're all set. There are sometimes other events where you have two tables and you will need to cover both. Tablecloths like this are typically available through online stores like Webstaurant, or most any other food service supply company.

Now, for the acrylic single sheet display. This is your on table advertising. I suggest two for the simple reason that one could get broken, so the other acts as a backup. If you have two tables, or you need to advertise yourself in two opposing directions, having two identical displays works in your favor, as people can see you from both directions and know why you're sitting there. (This is where your two 8.5x11" author posters are used)

I learned that one the hard way doing a local home tour one year. If I'd had two displays, I could have pulled in far more business. Displays like this can be bought from most any office supply store. Once you have them, you'll need an 8.5x11" poster or banner to go into them. I advise using something nice. If you already have an author poster, consider getting a slightly smaller version of it that'll fit in your display. Also, don't forget to have it laminated, or the first time it gets wet, it'll get ruined, and believe me, paper is a dirt and moisture magnet.

The 3.5x5" displays are your price cards. Experience taught me that people are more likely to buy your book if they can see a clearly marked price. This is also hugely useful if you're doing sales, as you can use these displays to advertise those sales. You can buy them at pretty much any store that has plastic or acrylic picture displays. I bought mine at Walmart for $1 each.

You will then in turn use the 3x5" cards as inserts onto which you can write your price or some other brief informational blurb. Or if you prefer, keep the cards aside as something on which to write notes, and instead print out your prices neatly using a printer as I have. If you have multiple books and each one has a different price, you may want to consider adding more displays, one for each book, plus a minimum of 2 backups. My general rule with backups is always 2 per every 5. However, your experience may vary, so start with my guidelines and then adjust as you see fit as you use your kit.

The book stands are there, obviously, to display your books. When doing any event, visibility of your books is important. That's why they need to be propped up on stands where they're easy to see. You will need to have one stand for each book you have, but at least 1-2 spares. I have 5 books I display at events (I have 8 books total, but I only take 5 to events due to table space limitations), but I carry 9 displays. I normally use just 5, but should I want to display all 8, I can, and I will still have one stand left over in case I need it for something, or I lose one of my current ones.

The scissors are there because they're priceless. Believe it or not, you will be shocked to realize how often you use scissors while you're out doing events, either while preparing your space, during, or after the event. The same goes for tape. Masking tape is fine, but it's only good for light duty jobs. For 90% of other things, duck tape is your friend. It will get you out of binds in ways you couldn't imagine. If you can't afford the space, you can always put a roll of packing tape in the box instead. This is good for resealing boxes, but won't work for the heavier jobs should you have them. Duck tape however will work for both, even if it doesn't make the prettiest box closure material.

The business card holders are for displaying your business cards. This is why I also suggest you have at least one 250 count pack of cards in the box. One of the worst things you can do at an event is to forget your cards. I learned that the hard way once. Never did that again. The 250 card number is also just an estimate of what you'll need, as you may find yourself in need of far more cards if you're at a bigger event.

I've been to some shows where I blew through 250 cards the first day alone! With most events you'll do anywhere from a handful upwards to maybe 50 or so. Others you'll be flying through them like hotcakes. A good way to determine how many you'll need is to remember the rule of 10. For every 10 cards you give out, you will typically sell one book. So if you expect to clear 50 books, you had better have 500 cards on hand. Now that may not always hold true, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Also, the reason for my rule of 3 is the idea of backups. 1 for the table, and two spares.

Plastic garbage bags are also practical, because if you're at an event where you need to collect your own trash, or it starts raining and you have to protect your books, table, etc (this is one area you can use your duck tape) from getting wet, you can slit them open and cover the table, or slip boxes inside to keep them dry. They also work well as an improvised poncho if worse comes to worse. I recommend getting the heavy duty 33 gallon size. Don't go cheap on these, as you may find yourself using them to protect your stuff!

The sticky labels are used for labeling boxes, packages, envelopes, or anything that needs labeling. One thing I use them for is when I have boxes that are packed with more than one type of book. This way I can do a headcount on the items in the book, write it on the label, and then be able to see at a glance what's inside, and how many of each. The string should be either braided or twisted nylon or cotton string. It's purpose is for tying things down or hanging items should it be required. Case in point, I had a full sized banner for my publisher I needed to hang at one of my events and the string saved the day by providing a way to do that.

The ink pens are important because, should you forget to bring a pen, you can get into your kit and have one available for signing books. Being unable to sign books when you're selling them directly is a big turnoff for some people and will hurt your sales. The sharpie can be used for marking boxes, or writing prices or other info on your 3x5 cards. The snack food I listed is important too. Not everywhere you go will have easily accessible food, or you may find yourself in a situation where getting food is difficult, or you may simply get the munchies. Having something simple to eat helps a lot. Usually I pack granola bars, and those work well when I need a snack or to take the edge off my hunger.

And last, but not least, the container to put all this in. I use a 25 quart Sterilite snap latch plastic storage container with lid. You may want something bigger, or smaller, depending on how your kit comes together. For me the 25 quart container is perfect and holds everything I need for my kit. It's also very durable, a must if you're doing a lot of signings, because it's a real kicker if your container breaks down right when you need it most.

Conclusion
Well, that's my guide on making your own Event Toolbox. Remember, these are very useful for any author, and important to have at any event where you intend to sell or display your books. Now as I stated above, this is only a guide, and while I recommend at least starting with the list I have, you are more than welcome to customize it to your tastes, needs, and desires once you've given it a spin around the block at several events. I hope this is helpful to any writer who's new to this, or wishes to make their events go more smoothly in the future.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You're referring to book promotion right Steven? I have heard that publishers don't do as much promotion for a writer's book as one might think, and that it is often the writer themselves who has to do a good deal of it. Especially if they are a new writer as opposed to an established name author. I can see the logic. A new author is an unknown quantity whose book may or may not sell enough copies to make the expense of promotional materials worth while, which the established author has a following and their name will pull in the readers. And publishers are in the market to make $$ just like everyone else. Besides that if the author goes ebook right from the start there might not be a big publisher behind him/her in the 1st place. Thanks for the tips on what to put together for promotions.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, this just assumes you're already doing book events, be it on your own, or as part of a publisher's marketing effort. I started out doing events with my publisher and then branched out on my own after they "got my feet wet" so to speak, and I knew what to look for and expect from events. That's where this toolbox came from. It was something I figured out to do through my own experiences to make events go more smoothly.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
These kinds of things (book tours etc.) are fine for non-fiction writers. I would think twice about it as a novelist though. Get that mystique thing going instead. Don't get too familiar with the public. But definately spread some juicy rumors!
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Just an update. After posting this I've gotten a LOT of really great compliments on this article. Some had never even thought of this and were thankful for my posting this. In general the feedback has been really good.
Advert