Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I still have my WS 5.5 (on 5.25" floppies.)
There is the small issue that none of my systems have/can use that size drive (I could never get XP to USE the drive, so I took it out and used the space for a 100M Zip Drive ((I still have blank Zip discs )) )
OMG! I totally forgot about the Zip drive!! Thanks for making me feel like I'm so old that I'm forgetting things....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #17
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
OMG! I totally forgot about the Zip drive!! Thanks for making me feel like I'm so old that I'm forgetting things....
I just sent a Zip drive to the tip...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #18
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I can't use more recent iterations of Word than 2003 because they lack the ability to open WordStar files. WordStar is the best of all possible word processors, and I'll not give it up until I am no longer able to beat Windows into submission to run a DOS program, not even for your plug-in! It would be like touch-typing with just one hand!
I made it a point to avoid WordStar in my career (which pre-dates it).

And I succeeded!

I always viewed as one of those programs that becomes popular for no apparent reason, and then stays popular because no one wants to change.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It became popular back in the days of CP/M, and by having it's key bindings adopted by other tools like Sidekick and the Turbo Pascal IDE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I made it a point to avoid WordStar in my career (which pre-dates it).

And I succeeded!

I always viewed as one of those programs that becomes popular for no apparent reason, and then stays popular because no one wants to change.
Wordstar DOS (I started at WS 3.0) the original with dot command markup?
or the later
Windows versions?

All the early DOS stuff ran on 8080 processors with up to 640K RAM

IIRC the big players were

Word Processing: Word, Wordperfect, Wordstar
Spreadsheet: 123, Supercalc, Multiplan, Quattro
RDatabase: dBase, Paradox, (RBase? brain fade )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@theducks You forgot Visicalc - AFAIK it was first spreadsheet - an Apple II killer app, but for Viscalc there might not be an Apple.

And Multimate Word processor - an IBM PC killer app that killed the Wang WP system, it wasn't much known outside of large corporations - Conn Life commissioned its development. I recall some C programmers using it as an editor - the alternative was EDLIN :lol:

Can't remember if it was William Safire or William F. Buckley who used Wordstar up until the day they died - might have been both. I miss them - not that I always agreed with them, but they could turn a phrase or two and raise a wry smile; most of today's equivalents can only beget groans of despair... so many words, so little said

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #22
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wordstar DOS (I started at WS 3.0) the original with dot command markup?
or the later
Windows versions?
Oh, DOS, of course!

It is a brilliant program, never matched in all the years since. It is in effect a third keyboard level, so that one has lower case, caps, and editing commands, all without looking at the keyboard or moving one's hand off the home keys. I went from 42 wpm on a manual typewriter to 100 wpm on an Olympic electronic typewriter with a CPM computer extension running what I suppose was WS 3.

Mike Petrie has created a WordStar command set for Word that makes the clunky Microsoft software function well, though not perfectly. (One must switch to Alt-A to Mark All, for example.) I usually finish up manuscripts on Word, because that's how editors expect to receive them.

I have successfully punted WordStar (it's 7D, the last release) through all successive Windows machines, down to Win 7 32-bit. It still works perfectly though I have lost the ability to copy from WS to Clipboard (I can go the other way), so in the rare case where I must do this, I open the WS file in Notepad. I also can no longer print from WS, though most afficionados have built a workaround use Ghostscript for that purpose.

IMHO the introduction of WordStar made the whole computer revolution worthwhile, even if it had never led to nothing else. I cannot imagine doing without it.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I second everything Toxaris said about his plugin, it is absolutely glorious, and can make clean/barebones HTML out of any sort of messy DOC(X)s you might get your hands on.
  • Word -> Google Docs (add in comments, make edits, etc. etc.) -> Word? No problem.
  • Finereader DOC(X) mess -> Word? No problem.
  • Horrible abomination edited over the years by multiple people using completely different versions of Word? No problem.
  • Someone copied/pasted quotes from different websites into Word, and then "fixed" them so they "look perfectly fine" on the surface? No problem.

Quote:
IMHO the introduction of WordStar made the whole computer revolution worthwhile, even if it had never led to nothing else. I cannot imagine doing without it.
Posted by Notjohn using Netscape.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-05-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I can't use more recent iterations of Word than 2003 because they lack the ability to open WordStar files. WordStar is the best of all possible word processors, and I'll not give it up until I am no longer able to beat Windows into submission to run a DOS program, not even for your plug-in! It would be like touch-typing with just one hand!
I guess you're still driving a Model T Ford too? :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote