Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Questions

I just recently got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 and I have a couple of questions.

I have been able to remove some widgets by long pressing and moving to bin but for some reason there are some along the bottom of the screen which will not be removed no matter how long I press. They are contacts, email, goggle maps, youtube etc. Are they removable or are they permanent widgets? I have no need for contacts etc to be on there and I wanted to personalise the tablet.

The apps I can't remove are the ones right along the bottom of the screen in the pic.

My old tablet was a Motorola Xoom and with a lot of android tablets you can tap the screen and a list of open apps you are using will appear and you can tap on whatever app you want and be taken straight there. I can't seem to find if the galaxy has that feature?

Thanks.

Last edited by MorganM; 12-09-2013 at 05:31 AM.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
Try this:
Quote:
Adding and Removing Primary Shortcuts You can change any of your primary shortcuts with the exception of the Apps shortcut. The primary shortcuts are the bottom row of app shortcuts that remain static on all home screens (by default Contacts, Internet, and Apps). Note: Before replacing a primary shortcut, you must first add the replacement shortcut to the Home Screen. For more information, see Creating Shortcuts . 1. Press to display the Home screen. 2. Touch and hold the primary shortcut you want to replace and then drag it to an empty space on any Home screen. 3. Touch and hold a new shortcut on the Home screen, and then drag it to the empty space in the row of primary shortcuts. You can add up to 5 primary shortcuts in addition to the Apps shortcut.
Quote:
Recent Apps You can access recently used applications through a display of shortcuts to the applications themselves. 1. Press and hold from any screen to display Recent apps. 2. Touch an image to open the application.
Source: Sprint User Guide - Galaxy Tab 3 (http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf...samsung_ug.pdf)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by miki2; 12-09-2013 at 08:29 AM.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
You could try using a launcher app. I use Nova launcher and you can put whatever you want wherever you want - it's very customizable. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oilsw.launcher
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I just recently got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 and I have a couple of questions.

I have been able to remove some widgets by long pressing and moving to bin but for some reason there are some along the bottom of the screen which will not be removed no matter how long I press. They are contacts, email, goggle maps, youtube etc. Are they removable or are they permanent widgets? I have no need for contacts etc to be on there and I wanted to personalise the tablet.

The apps I can't remove are the ones right along the bottom of the screen in the pic.

My old tablet was a Motorola Xoom and with a lot of android tablets you can tap the screen and a list of open apps you are using will appear and you can tap on whatever app you want and be taken straight there. I can't seem to find if the galaxy has that feature?

Thanks.
I had the same with problem with my new Tab 3 10.1.

I found that the screen you show in the photo was full and would not allow anything else to be added. I solved the problem by moving to an emptier screen and then I could move all of the apps (except settings and apps drawer) to the main part of the screen. Once the bottom row was emptied, I was able to customize the apps to the ones I use frequently.

Hope this helps.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm using Nova launcher on my Samsung phone it's just a different homescreen and app drawer really but more customisable as it lets you download icon packs, resize widgets, pick transitions for scrolling through your home screens and such.

Pretty safe really I had a silly fear of launchers for some time as I didn't really understand them but the only thing to watch out for is if you do ever uninstall a launcher make sure you set your old one back in the settings or through an app like default app manager.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Pretty safe really I had a silly fear of launchers for some time as I didn't really understand them but the only thing to watch out for is if you do ever uninstall a launcher make sure you set your old one back in the settings or through an app like default app manager.
There's no need to, if you uninstall the default app for an action, next time around Android will pop-up a dialog asking which app you want to handle the action, unless there is only 1, in which case the action goes directly to that app.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's no need to, if you uninstall the default app for an action, next time around Android will pop-up a dialog asking which app you want to handle the action, unless there is only 1, in which case the action goes directly to that app.
I suspected that but I guess I'm still a little paranoid of launchers and wanting to play it safe, I am enjoying Nova though and think I'll upgrade it to the Prime version.

Edit: Actually did just upgrade to prime and bought myself a few icon packs.

Last edited by Teknikal; 12-14-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I just ended up downloading Nova and adding what I want to the bottom. I'm in the quite simplistic and minimal as possible camp when it comes to a desktop on a tablet. I have no need for all the widgets etc. I added what I wanted to the bottom row and left the home screen free to see my wallpaper and any other app shortcuts get added to empty screens I can flip to.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote