Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBigStuff View Post
Hi All,
I believe I have found this already present in the kindle's pdf viewer.
If you open a PDF and pinch zoom and scroll around after zooming you will see that all of the page is drawn in black or white, and you can scroll around like you see in the video posted by geekmaster, albeit without the nice friction animations, or at least very close.
Would I be right in thinking this is the same sort of thing?
Bill
Confirmed.

Well, what is annoying a bit is that in PDFReader, it flashes for each page refresh (If I'm not mistaken, there was a tweak to fix this on MR?!!! but I can't find it!), and it's not as smooth as geekmaster's video but still way better than previous firmware that I had. That my friends, gets me very excited!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142848 was the only one I could remember for that.

!!! no more screen flashing !!! was the title. in the end of the thread there was SOME talk of actually using it but it was written off as _development twiddling only_ IIRC by the devs.

YMMV. HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@twobob can the script be installed on the kindle touch. If yes, then how.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has someone tried what twobob said on kindle touch? Does it doe nasty things with eink screen (i think no as geekmaster said that eink screen would instead become better ). What should i do to get this working as i want to test it. For eg. where should i put mobad's script and what name, how to execute, etc.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

i tried to have the script in /etc/in.d/local and also /bin/sh in winscp but when i save they both have errors read only file system. How to change this?
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Jeebers mate.

I wouldnt mess around with the root filesystem unless you REALLY KNOW what the implications might be. I would suggest you are just a few steps away from a bricking by the sounds of things.

you can mount the root filesystem read write. but honestly that is the last resort, there are often better ways to skin the cat.

In terms of this hack, I never actually performed the amendments myself and I would be EXTRA careful if I was trying to use code for an alternate device.

Geekmaster is the authority on this subject I suppose - plus the others in the thread I sent you, honestly I would check if any of them have done what you are trying to do before messing with my root files.

Don't mean to be a doomsayer dude. just like saying "WARNING"!

so - yeah - you can mount it RW and if you REALLY REALLY are certain you want to do it then the instructions pop up on the screen every time you SSH into the device.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

I have made up my mind, made rewritable now what? (i hope i would be able to debrick if i mess up! )
Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What does the greeting message say when you ssh into the machine?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Something like root@kindle root. To make it rewritable I used mnt rw. Then what should I do.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Something like root@kindle root. To make it rewritable I used mnt rw. Then what should I do.
Only those things of which you are certain of the outcome.

Once you have made the file system read/write, as "root" (the administrator) you can change **anything**.

You should probably make a collection of the file images you will need to de-brick your Ktouch and practice de-bricking it a few times.
You are going to need those files and skills.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Ok but where should I create files and what should I put in them to have the refresh hack, I couldn't understand that thread. Sorry for disturbing everyone with my back to back noobish questions.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Ok but where should I create files and what should I put in them to have the refresh hack, I couldn't understand that thread. Sorry for disturbing everyone with my back to back noobish questions.
As far as I understand, nobody here can answer that question, because nobody has done it yet. You'd be the first to try, so you have to find out for yourself.

This is pretty much what the developer's corner is all about: people find out some new stuff by trying out unusual and sometimes dangerous things, then post their results for other people to also benefit from it (and to discuss it).

You seem to have the expectation that this is a forum where every conceivable question will be answered, but that's simply not the case.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-19-2012 at 11:18 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

The thread creator and some other people have done it, though they warned this was dangerous and not for everyone's use, only for expert devs.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
The thread creator and some other people have done it, though they warned this was dangerous and not for everyone's use, only for expert devs.
Well then: ask yourself if you consider yourself to be an expert developer...

Sorry, but it's not a good idea to do things which you don't understand at all - especially if the risk of totally bricking the device is high. Learn and understand the not-so-dangerous basics instead, for instance using the linux command line, network topology (cf. the other thread) etc.

All of the "seniors" here have gone through years, if not decades, of learning and understanding simpler things before going for the advanced ones. It's the only way that works.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #30
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Even with more than half a century of technology hacking experience, I still have boxes full of various "bricked" devices. Sometimes, published debricking procedures just do not work for your particular case, and it takes time and effort to discover a newer better debricking method that does work. Almost every tech device that I own has been hacked in some form or another (and hackability is a big part of my purchasing decisions).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote