Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Finding the best web sites

Cool Tools has highlighted an interesting approach to finding the best web news based on concensus web article selection.

Kevin Kelly says, "I hypothesized that soon there would be a meta-site that would aggregate all the consensus filters into one. The next day Thomas Marban from Austria wrote me to say that he had already written one, called PopUrls. I've been using it daily for the past month and its great.This single page now replaces my need to directly read Digg, Reddit, Delicious, Furl, Slashdot, BoingBoing, NewsVine, Metafilter and all the others that I subscribe too. This one page encapsulates up-to-the-minute headlines from 15 consensus filters, and top thumbnail images from the social sites Flickr, YouTube, and Google Video. The hive mind on one screen."

Read the full article to see exactly how he uses it. No word yet on how well it might integrate into mobile solutions. Anybody already find a good way to use it on a handheld?

Update: It seems I left out the direct link... PopURLs.

Last edited by Bob Russell; 05-06-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added the direct link.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
lexico
Lexicographer
lexico began at the beginning.

Device: IBM X 41 T, Samsung D500, Nokia N 800
'concensus' ? :-)
lexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexico
'concensus' ? :-)
Not sure what you mean, but now I'm quite curious! Are you asking everyone for a concensus view on the site? Or a consensus view of how to handle with mobile devices?

Then there's my more paranoid side, seeing that you are a real live Lexicographer (I think you are the first I've run across)... did I misspell it? Looks okay.

Is it misused? Seems reasonable based on dictionary.com:

Quote:
con·sen·sus Audio pronunciation of "consensus" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-snss) n.

1. An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole: “Among political women... there is a clear consensus about the problems women candidates have traditionally faced” (Wendy Kaminer). See Usage Note at redundancy.
2. General agreement or accord: government by consensus.
But you certainly would know better than me!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
thomas-m
thomas-m began at the beginning.

hi folks,
just saw you featured my site - thanks for that.
if there is a need for a mobile popurls drop me a line,
thomas
http://thomasmarban.com
thomas-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

It's a nice and useful site Thomas, so glad to give it mention.

Not sure how it could be "mobilized", but I'm trying to get my mind around what that would mean. It seems like it should work about as well as it's going to by simply starting off the site through a mobilizing web site like Squeezer. You don't really have control of the format of the target links, so I think you'd be limited in how well you could adapt it for mobile devices.

Maybe something as simple as an equivalent mobile page with one long column, and minus the picture/video links? And maybe a link to the mobilized version of the page.

Some possible services to do that are listed here: http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=26
including Squeezer. Or more are available with a search (e.g. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search )

What do the rest of you guys think?
Advert
Old 05-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
This one is just uses google news but what a concept.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
lexico
Lexicographer

Spello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Not sure what you mean, but now I'm quite curious! Are you asking everyone for a concensus view on the site? Or a consensus view of how to handle with mobile devices?

Then there's my more paranoid side, seeing that you are a real live Lexicographer (I think you are the first I've run across)... did I misspell it? Looks okay.

Is it misused? Seems reasonable based on dictionary.com:

But you certainly would know better than me!
Both in the original article and in the quote above you spell the word in two different ways...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Aha! Mystery solved. Thks.
Obviously there's just something wrong with the 's' key on my keyboard, that makes it come out as a 'c'!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:29 AM   #9
lexico
Lexicographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Aha! Mystery solved. Thks.
Obviously there's just something wrong with the 's' key on my keyboard, that makes it come out as a 'c'!
How strange ... mine does that sometimes, too :-).
Old 05-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
blaire576
blaire576 began at the beginning.

Device: sony ericson
thanks for the link!
blaire576 is offline   Reply With Quote