Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #166
Krittika Goyal
Vox calibre
Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader prs700, kobo
@kiwidude: My bad. You are right they are disabled, but hiding would help. This weeks calibre blog post is about this plugin. :Let me know if there are any errors. see http://blog.calibre-ebook.com/2011/1...te-finder.html
Krittika Goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #167
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Kovid/Krittika - Thanks, I'll make the visibility change suggested.

Thanks for the blog article, no errors I spotted. My only suggestion was that you mention about what a user should do once they have found duplicates (i.e. the merging options in calibre) but perhaps you had that planned for a follow up post.

Was thinking whether there was anything else to add to this plugin to add to a release and briefly pondered the multiple database duplicate finding. However I can't see that as being anything other than a major change I don't have the stomach/time for right now. It isn't so much the connecting to a database to find the duplicates as where I see the issue - it is what you actually *do* with them when found. You won't be able to display them in the main library grid for all the standard grouping/merging operations. The only thing I could do is produce some sort of static report, that people can copy to their clipboard or save to file.

Whether that is useful enough to justify the effort is another question of course, I'll leave it as a wishlist item for now...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #168
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.2.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • When selecting ISBN or Binary compare, hide the Title/Author groupbox options
  • Some cosmetic additions to the text for ISBN/Binary options
Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #169
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
It isn't so much the connecting to a database to find the duplicates as where I see the issue - it is what you actually *do* with them when found....
Whether that is useful enough to justify the effort is another question of course, I'll leave it as a wishlist item for now...
Tag them or keep per library lists a la "Reading List".

Useful enough? Bleh ... probably not.

p.s. This was too much ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@kiwidude: I'd suggest hiding.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #170
JustMike
JustMike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How about finding duplicates by title, author and language

Thanks for a great job!

Would it be difficult to add an option to find duplicate by title, author and languages? The fact is there are quite a few books in my library that have the same title and author but different languages. It would be convenient to leave them out of the duplicates list.

Regards
JustMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #171
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi JustMike, welcome to MobileRead.

The easiest way to do this without any plugin changes would be to apply a search restriction. Just do a search for the language of interest, apply that as the current restriction and then filter duplicates as per normal.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #172
JustMike

Thanks a lot! It really works.

Still, it would be handy to have such an option in your plugin some day.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #173
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@JustMike - glad it worked for you. As an ignoramus who only speaks one language I'm afraid my knowledge of what would be required to natively support this is rather lacking (as is my motivation from personal need admittedly).

If chaley or similar spots this (he may recall the plugin logic well) he may have a suggestion. Off the top of my head there would need to be a new checkbox option controlling language specific matching, then based on that setting appending the language to the hashes that are computed for the titles/author comparisons?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #174
JustMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@JustMike - glad it worked for you. As an ignoramus who only speaks one language I'm afraid my knowledge of what would be required to natively support this is rather lacking (as is my motivation from personal need admittedly).

If chaley or similar spots this (he may recall the plugin logic well) he may have a suggestion. Off the top of my head there would need to be a new checkbox option controlling language specific matching, then based on that setting appending the language to the hashes that are computed for the titles/author comparisons?
Unfortunatelly I hardly know Python to suggest anything or to implement this option by myself. IMHO there is no need to add any checkbox (That is we always consider a language(s) of books). As far as I could guess it would be suffice to correct the class TitleAuthorAlgorithm(AlgorithmBase), procedure find_candidate(self, book_id, candidates_map) so as to take into account language(s)of a book. But I don't know how to seach languages (guess something like for language in languages ).
Anyhow thank you very much for the plugin.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #175
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.2.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Take the languages field into account when doing title based duplicate comparisons
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #176
JustMike

@kiwidude

Thanks a lot again! It works fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #177
bigbird1227
Enthusiast
bigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle 3
after the last update problems

the plugin does not seam to be as effective since my last update. Is anyone else having the same experience?
bigbird1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #178
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1227 View Post
the plugin does not seam to be as effective since my last update. Is anyone else having the same experience?
If you see a problem tell us what it is, this general comment about a possible problem won't help locate any bug.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #179
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Hair Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you see a problem tell us what it is, this general comment about a possible problem won't help locate any bug.
Are you SURE your hair is still there?
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #180
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@bigbird1227 - dwanthny has it spot on, we need a specific example of what you mean - what your find settings were and the title/author values for which you are not getting a duplicate match that you believe you were previously.

The one comment I will make is that against my initial judgement (which I mentioned a few posts ago on this thread, and JustMike swayed me away from it) I did not make the languages check optional. Now for "most" users, it shouldn't be an issue - either like me you never use the languages field at all, or you do use it and indeed do not want multiple titles with different language entries to match.

However (and this *might* explain your issue) it is possible that someone importing books from various sources is somehow getting the languages field set. I have no idea of the rules around this in terms of whether it can be set from the metadata inside an epub etc, perhaps Kovid may offer some insight.

What this means is that if you have a book set with no language, and another book set with english, this plugin will now always see them as two different books regardless of title. Obviously someone who only stores english books in their library is not going to bother setting the language field for all of them.

I would suggest that if you have two books that you think would have been matched by the last version of this plugin and are no longer, that you check the languages field for both and see if something is present in there on one or both.

It might be possible to do a search for books that have languages set on your library - not at home to verify this but something like languages:false and comparing that with your total library count might work.

If indeed this is happening, then I think the most appropriate solution to all this is to add a preferences option for this plugin as I originally intended, with the default being off. So if your languages field gets filled "supriously" you don't care, and if it gets populated religously you have an option to make use of it. In the meantime you can always use the bulk metadata editor to clear the field.

However that is all speculation - it is the only thing that changed in the plugin and until/unless someone verified the above is happening to them and having languages set on their books unintended then I'm not going to change anything. Personally I *never* turn on import metadata from the book (only filename), and equally I *never* try to download the languages field via metadata download. However perhaps others are getting caught out by this.

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates