Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Question Calibre Questions

I noticed that every time calibre 'opens' an epub file it seems to add calibre bookmarks. In essence it's changing the epub file on each inspection. Is there a way to first clean up all epub files removing content added by Calibre and other applications that do not belong in a clean ePub file, and then configure Calibre to not write anything into the ePub files again. This will also save write cycles when accessing content on a flash drive.

Also I noticed Calibre checks only the book name when adding files. Realizing that some books having the same title is quite common, could it be something that could be added easily?

Last but not least, can Calibre be linked to Sigil and ePubCheck to make it part of a kind of eBook development suite?
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, LGN

You'll get answers soon....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
I noticed that every time calibre 'opens' an epub file it seems to add calibre bookmarks. In essence it's changing the epub file on each inspection. Is there a way to first clean up all epub files removing content added by Calibre and other applications that do not belong in a clean ePub file, and then configure Calibre to not write anything into the ePub files again. This will also save write cycles when accessing content on a flash drive.
Last I checked, the answer to this was "No." It's probably a reasonable feature/option/tweak, and you may want to make a formal request (unless someone knows how to do this and it has changed since my last check.)

Quote:
Also I noticed Calibre checks only the book name when adding files. Realizing that some books having the same title is quite common, could it be something that could be added easily?
Calibre gets metadata stored inside the book, or metadata from the filename (by a regex) depending on the setting in Preferences|Import/Export|Adding Books|"Read metadata ...."

Quote:
Last but not least, can Calibre be linked to Sigil and ePubCheck to make it part of a kind of eBook development suite?
You can open any book with Sigil (Press O and open it in Sigil) or turn off the internal viewer and set your OS to open with Sigil for viewing. As to ePubCheck, I'll leave it to others to answer.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-05-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
LGN
Connoisseur

Thanks for taking the time to answer Starson17.

Calibre does get the meta data but when adding a book it purely handles on Title alone based on tests. While the title might be the same and authors and other meta data are different I just get the message that a book with the same title exists and asking me to add the new book anyway. This forces me to manually check each title. So the option you refer to is used at the time of adding the book.

Regarding the changing of the ePub file every time you review the ePub, is something that was totally unexpected until I noticed it today. I feel the more I change a file the more chances are that one hiccup could damage it. Also the info added is useless for all other applications than Calibre internal usage. When I save a file to disk, the information stays inside. I'll consider a feature request and remember not to use my collection on a flash drive.

Thanks for the suggestion about Sigil and ePubCheck. I think Calibre is the best eBook manager around and maybe can be extended with a plugin to link to third party applications. Who knows

If anyone has some other suggestions and maybe a tip how to 'clean' the calibre added information from ePubs it would be very welcome.

Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Open the epub with a zip program, delete META-INF\calibre_bookmarks.txt
Save back, then make the epub read-only.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Open the epub with a zip program, delete META-INF\calibre_bookmarks.txt
Save back, then make the epub read-only.
That is so old school. Use the Tweak Epub feature built into calibre.

Select the book in calibre then press T
Click Explode ePub
Delete META-INF\calibre_bookmarks.txt
Click Rebuild ePub
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Calibre does get the meta data but when adding a book it purely handles on Title alone based on tests. While the title might be the same and authors and other meta data are different I just get the message that a book with the same title exists and asking me to add the new book anyway. This forces me to manually check each title. So the option you refer to is used at the time of adding the book.
By default, Calibre will ask if you want books with duplicate titles added. The book you are trying to add may have a different author or the same author, but Calibre still wants to know if you want to add the duplicate title.

I wanted a bit more automation, so I wrote the autosort/automerge option. When turned on, it will compare the author and then fuzzy match the title. If the author is the same and the title a close match to an existing book record, it will try to put the new format you are adding into the matching existing book record. If the format you are trying to add is already in the existing matching record, it will skip that format. If title matches and author does not match, it will create a new record for that format.

The autosort/automerge option is found in Preferences|Import/Export|Adding Books|"If books with similar ..." It's most useful when adding large numbers of books with drag/drop where you do not want duplicates of the same book.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
dwanthy, completely forgot about that.

All these new feature, makes calibre too good

LGN, whichever way you go, don't forget to then make the epub read-only.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
LGN
Connoisseur

@Starson17: Aah, that will be useful. I read it that it would merge books from the same author if other format. This will turn out to be helpful next time when adding books. Thanks man!

@dwanthny and Perkin: Yeah I could make the books read-only. I wish I have known earlier that Calibre actually changes a file every time you view it. The biggest problem might be that I need to do it manually for each book already added and to be added in the future. But it's definitely something to remember when making my own ePubs.

Calibre could have used the (external) OPF file of the book to keep bookmarks for example.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Calibre could have used the (external) OPF file of the book to keep bookmarks for example.
The external OPF file is a new feature of this release so it was not available at the time. It could be worth requesting a change via the ticket system to do this - no idea if it would be favourably received or not. However any metadata change causes that file to be regenerated so how robust a way of doing it it would be I am not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The external OPF file is a new feature of this release so it was not available at the time. It could be worth requesting a change via the ticket system to do this - no idea if it would be favourably received or not.
Personally, I'd rather keep bookmarks in the EPUB, not in a separate file. I don't want to handle two files, where one will do. I use Calibre for my personal reading library, not as part of a book development suite. I've got no problem with adding a button to individually or bulk remove all Calibre-specific bits of metadata stored in the EPUB(s), but I'd rather not go farther than that.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
marcefanitoli
marcefanitoli began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Another Calibre Question

Anyone know how to re-enable the merge or delete warnings? I clicked the "ignore in the future" check-box and have regretted it ever since. Thanks!
marcefanitoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcefanitoli View Post
Anyone know how to re-enable the merge or delete warnings? I clicked the "ignore in the future" check-box and have regretted it ever since. Thanks!
See preferences -> behaviour.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
LGN
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Personally, I'd rather keep bookmarks in the EPUB, not in a separate file. I don't want to handle two files, where one will do. I use Calibre for my personal reading library, not as part of a book development suite. I've got no problem with adding a button to individually or bulk remove all Calibre-specific bits of metadata stored in the EPUB(s), but I'd rather not go farther than that.
Well the other file is already there so it might not make any difference on general use. Also using the uncompressed file could mean faster? Hmm probably not as the ePub needs to be opened to be read any way. But besides changing meta data I feel that Calibre should not change the ePub. I also noticed some ePubs seem to have the cover image duplicated, probably by me dragging.

On the other hand I understand you when you say you don't want to handle two files. But eReaders don't use this bookmark, mine uses some internal folder/file to keep track on where you were.

That said I still think Calibre is the best tool for eBook managment there is Thanks for the time and patience to answer.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Personally, I'd rather keep bookmarks in the EPUB, not in a separate file. I don't want to handle two files, where one will do.
I agree with you. Having the book mark file inside the epub is well within the epub standard guidance. If you are developing books doesn't running epub-fix (among other things) eliminate the book mark file?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-06-2010 at 07:06 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote