Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
enitro
Enthusiast
enitro began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Adding MASSIVE amount of books

How to add massive amount of books (100 000) in Calibre the fastest way, which doesn't crash or is it better via command line(how to do that), all books are in one folder.

Have 4 SSD in RAID 0 max out sata 3 (550/550 read and write),and 16gb of RAM.
Thanks.
enitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Just select the appropriate Add Books option and patiently wait for the import to finish. I did that once on much poorer hardware than yours, and it worked. No crashes.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So where do these 100,000 eBooks come from?

I ask because some come here asking for help with eBooks that did not legally obtain.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And I thought I read a LOT.

100K books. I don't think I have read even close to Half that in my lifetime.

ALL of my Libraries may total 6K: books, records, tapes,video
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
enitro
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Just select the appropriate Add Books option and patiently wait for the import to finish. I did that once on much poorer hardware than yours, and it worked. No crashes.
What is faster via GUI or command line.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So where do these 100,000 eBooks come from?

I ask because some come here asking for help with eBooks that did not legally obtain.
True, but don't we generally adopt a "don't ask don't tell" policy? The OP is asking for technical advice that applies just as well to legally obtained books as pirated books. As long as he's not admitting anything, I don't want the responsibility of deciding whether to withhold advice if it might help a pirate.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
enitro
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply any other suggestions.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
FWIW I've seen a 'Project Gutenberg' CD. I don't remember how many books were on it but it was more than 10K. I don't think I'd load all of them, but that's because I wouldn't be interested in all of them.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
True, but don't we generally adopt a "don't ask don't tell" policy? The OP is asking for technical advice that applies just as well to legally obtained books as pirated books. As long as he's not admitting anything, I don't want the responsibility of deciding whether to withhold advice if it might help a pirate.
If it feels shady, I ask. There is no policy against that. If the person then answers and they are legal, I'll be happy to help. My asking has stopped us from continuing to try to help others with eBooks download from illegal sources.

If the OP isn't going to answer, then (IMHO) we should stop helping until the OP can say where these 100,000 eBooks came from.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
If the OP isn't going to answer, then (IMHO) we should stop helping until the OP can say where these 100,000 eBooks came from.
You mean: guilty until proven innocent?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If it feels shady, I ask. There is no policy against that. If the person then answers and they are legal, I'll be happy to help. My asking has stopped us from continuing to try to help others with eBooks download from illegal sources.

Fair enough. I disagree, but I respect your opinion. I have no problem with you giving or withholding your help based upon whatever criteria you choose.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by enitro View Post
How to add massive amount of books (100 000) in Calibre the fastest way, which doesn't crash or is it better via command line(how to do that), all books are in one folder.

Have 4 SSD in RAID 0 max out sata 3 (550/550 read and write),and 16gb of RAM.
Thanks.
Do as zetmolm wrote should work fine. Ensure nothing unneccesary is running and let it go.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
Fair enough. I disagree, but I respect your opinion. I have no problem with you giving or withholding your help based upon whatever criteria you choose.
The way I look at it is if the OP is not doing anything illegal, then the OP can tell us so and then nobody will have an issue helping. But the OP chose to ignore my question. That again raises red flags. I've never heard of anyone with 100,000 eBooks that were obtained legally. I could be wrong, but that's for the OP to tell us.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
We've had this discussion a number of times.

Folks who collect fanfic, people who collect public domain works. There are numerous ways and there's certainly no reason that one should *assume* illegality without proof.

If a mod thinks there's a problem, they will certainly step in and make that clear.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
fidvo
Addict

Quote:
The way I look at it is if the OP is not doing anything illegal, then the OP can tell us so and then nobody will have an issue helping. But the OP chose to ignore my question. That again raises red flags. I've never heard of anyone with 100,000 eBooks that were obtained legally. I could be wrong, but that's for the OP to tell us.
That's why I don't ask. I'm not here to judge, I'm here to give and receive advice. Honestly, I don't want to know if he's doing something illegal, because then I have to decide whether I can in good conscience offer my advice. Even if he obtained his library illegally, the advice itself applies just as well to legitimate cases, so why withhold it? I don't want that responsibility, so I'm not going to go out of my way to find out whether the person who asked for it will use it for nefarious purposes. What he chooses to do with it is his responsibility, not mine.

But like I said, I would never presume to tell you what to do. If your conscience tells you not to give advice because the situation seems shady, then I applaud you for taking a stand.

It's all academic anyway, since I've never tried adding that many books to my library so I have no advice to give.