Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle for iPad 3.2 released

Kindle for iPad 3.2 released. It now has three choices for margin width, though I really don't see much improvement. Not sure why those eggheads at Amazon want to force such wide margins on us?! It has a few other lackluster updates as well. I'm underwhelmed...
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm underwhelmed...
Likewise. I still have NO idea why they haven't cannibalised Stanza, taken the best of it for inclusion in Kindle. madness.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh! This is not a good news for all of us!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
The new brightness controls just seem to be equivalent to OS level controls! With previous versions, we can reduce the brightness to much lower level, which was very useful for night time reading. Minimum setting is so bright, I can't read with this during night time
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Kindle for iPad 3.2 released. It now has three choices for margin width, though I really don't see much improvement. Not sure why those eggheads at Amazon want to force such wide margins on us?! It has a few other lackluster updates as well. I'm underwhelmed...
It seems to me that the margin option just adds in two bigger margin options and the smallest option just gives us the margins we had in the previous version.

On an iPhone, these wide forced margins makes the Kindle app useless. iBooks is just as bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It seems to me that the margin option just adds in two bigger margin options and the smallest option just gives us the margins we had in the previous version.

On an iPhone, these wide forced margins makes the Kindle app useless. iBooks is just as bad.
I agree. Even on the iPad the margins are way too big for landscape, two-column view. Usable of course, but way too big. I'm not sure why Amazon continues to ignore the wide margin issue across all devices given the number of complaints we have seen over the YEARS. yes, we have been complaining for years that the margins are too big, especially on small 6" screens and smaller. Considering the margins could easily be changed via a firmware update there is absolutely no excuse for Amazon not to code in the option to adjust them down to zero if a person so desired.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
They added the wide margins because of complaints over the last iPad version. AFAIK this has no effect on the iPhone.

I'm pleased by the addition of the rapid highlighting feature. Disappointed that there's still no way to copy text. Haven't tried playing with the brightness settings (can't detect a difference so far).

Overall, not bad.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
They added the wide margins because of complaints over the last iPad version. AFAIK this has no effect on the iPhone.

I'm pleased by the addition of the rapid highlighting feature. Disappointed that there's still no way to copy text. Haven't tried playing with the brightness settings (can't detect a difference so far).

Overall, not bad.
Overall a pathetic update. They said adjustable margins, but the adjustable margins are for making the margins bigger, not smaller. The wide margins also exist on the Android app as well.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Overall, not bad.
You might be correct, but I find it difficult to believe that more people complained about the margins being too small than those complaining about margins being too big. For many years lots of people have complained about the large margins and Amazon never listened, I kind of doubt they would suddenly listen to a few who complained the margins were too small. I personally think the Kindle Team at Amazon are way too much like the a$$holes at Apple in that they have this view that you get what they give you and they know better than you what you want and need.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You would thing Amazon would think about the customers who use an iPhone. As it is, the Kindle app is worthless on an iPhone.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You would thing Amazon would thing about the customers who use an iPhone. As it is, the Kindle app is worthless on an iPhone.
How's that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346636604.355419.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	91739
Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How's that?

Attachment 91739
Awful. The margins are too big for an iPhone.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Awful. The margins are too big for an iPhone.
Laughably untrue, of course. I wonder if you actually use any iPhone reading apps like Reeder or Instapaper, or [edited for language].

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Laughably untrue, of course. I wonder if you actually use any iPhone reading apps like Reeder or Instapaper
You cannot compare Reeder or Instapaper to Kindle. I have an iPhone 3G.

I just took a look at the newest Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad and the margins are still large and even worse, the line height is atrocious. It's just way too large. Amazon has botched the current Kindle app. Instead of upgrading it, they've downgraded it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-02-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
You cannot compare Reeder or Instapaper to Kindle. I have an iPhone 3G.

I just took a look at the newest Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad and the margins are still large and even worse, the line height is atrocious. It's just way too large. Amazon has botched the current Kindle app. Instead of upgrading it, they've downgraded it.
I read more on my Kindle and iPad but when I have to read on my iPhone I think it's just fine. Could it be the book you tested?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote